“Tired hotel but looks like it will get better”

Cairn Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The hotel in general is very tired and shoddy. The two rooms we had were small and if a great need of upgrading. In one room the bathroom had been revamped and was modern and very nice, the bathroom in the other room was terrible. Old shower cabinet and sanitary fittings. The carpets in the rooms and public areas were dreadful. The better news is that it looks that the reception and public areas are being upgraded and the breakfast room has been upgraded and was extremely nice. The breakfast which was continental was fine with good selection and priced very reasonably at £6 per person. The position of the hotel is great if you are going to the theatre. Sleep quality beds not that great. Price for a double room was £75 and a single was £45. Ok if you are only in the room to sleep. Room had flat screen tv and free tea and coffee .

Room Tip: Some rooms are being revamped but the ones we were in was extremely poor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed her for one night in June 2013. I was given a single room across the road from the main hotel. Room was average, en suite was average. Nowhere in my booking did it say breakfast was not included. The breakfast was continental and was again average. When I was asked did I have breakfast and did I enjoy It they tried to charge me £6. Managed to get it own to £3. Still too pricey. Average hotel really nothing special, if you have a few quid go somewhere better. Mediocre at best.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Good beds and bath room. Fresh painted room. Old furniture with stains. Breakfast not included. 10 pounds for a continental poor one. Restaurant in works
Location near centre and difficult to park in hourly zone..

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My group of 4 were transferred here from the piries hotel as they had over booked and couldn't accomodate us. We had booked two rooms and when we arrived at the Cairn only one large room for 4 was booked as a replacement, with no price reduction. We tried to find another room but the city was full so me, my boyfriend, my mother and my younger sister were forced to share a room.
When we finally got to check in (3pm is the first check in time) we discovered a clean but dilapidated room. Wall paper was peeling, bathroom door didn't close properly, tv was not working and the heater was stuck on 'on'. We had the heater fixed but the tv evidently was purely decorational.
Overall this hotel us over priced and falsely advertised online as a 3 star hotel which it most certainly is NOT and nowhere in the actual hotel is this star rating shown. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank clairekeane
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Excellent location with friendly staff. Rooms are large enough. Waverley station and many other attractions are on walking distance of 15 to 20 min from the hotel. Transport is readily available near the hotel. Staff can arrange taxi and tours for you as well.

Room Tip: Try to get the room on ground or first floor since lift is not available.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Location was perfect and for 3 adults the room was HUGE! Large wardrobe and storage ample. Comfortable beds, crisp white linen and fluffy white towels. Ample tea/coffee etc. Standard TV channels plus several Freeview, something for everyone. No lift but requested low floor and room was on 1st floor, at the back, very quiet. Didn't choose to include breakfast in the booking but offered continental breakfast at online rate anyway.

Not aware until I arrived of building works/redecoration to Restaurant so no cooked breakfasts were available had I have wanted one. Chair in room covered in someone's long blonde hair and was dusty - needs a good vacuum. Bath, basin and toilet spotless but some mould growth & discolouration to tile grout evident.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The hotel looked ok on arrival but as soon as I entered my room it quickly went down hill. I booked a double room for me and my partner the room was tiny the window was open and when I went to close it it was been held open by a flimsy piece of metal very dangerous as th windows are very heavy and old to make things worse we were on th ground floor and th window does not lock anyone can climb in. I went to look at th bathroom next and there was hair in every corner in th soap dish there was a shampoo wrapper from th previous guest. It says toiletries are provided but there was no conditioner. After that I started noticing everything that was wrong something was jammed in one of th sockets, the curtain tie was held to the wall with a nail because nobody could be bothered to replace the tie, the room was thick with dust,the two lamps above th bed didn't even work, there was no coffee,the mugs hadn't been sanitised properly, the whole room hadn't been hovered and didn't get hovered until the next day because there was no cleaners on which is confusing because if a guest came to the hotel I work at and the room had not been hovered th receptionist would take it apon themselves to offer to do it as it is unacceptable the bedroom does not lock unless you lock it with the key the bathroom does nit lock at all the duvet cover was ripped, there was chewing gum stuck to th wall next to the bed disgusting! The restaurant is being revamped so there was no cooked breakfast which should have been explained prior to booking when I checked out there was no oh did u enjoy your stay the key was snatched out my hand it's supposed to be a hotel in Scotland and all I could hear all morning was the housekeepers blasting music from th t.vs and shouting to each other in polish any hotel I've worked in it is suppose to be English only infront of guests all in all th worst hotel I've ever been to it should be cairn hostel it's definitely not a hotel do no stay here you will be disappointed

• Stayed: June 2013