“Not what it promised.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not what it promised.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We had high hopes about this hotel from the beautiful pictures on their website but were quite disappointed when we arrived.
It is fairly close to Waverly station, which is a plus point, but is located in a largely residential area which isn't attractive.
The worst thing about this hotel were the stairs. I was travelling with my mum who has a knee problem but even if she hadn't, I'm not sure how they expected us to get our luggage down those stairs. We had to have our room changed, which they kindly did for us. We ended up in a room for 5 which was large and fairly comfortable but had no air-conditioning so we had to keep the windows open. Not recommended, especially during the weekend when a lot of very drunk people stood near the entrance and talked loudly.
We also had to avoid the breakfast because we would have had to take stairs again. From what I've read in other people's reviews, it seems we made a wise choice.
The bathroom wasn't very good, either. Large but lacking any cupboards or railings. It was a bit dingy despite having two lights. The tub was all right but the shower over it was downright awful. For one, the curtain was on a semi-circle rod which made showering very claustrophobic. The shower head also sprayed water in all directions.
On our second day a huge spider appeared in the bathroom. My mum managed to kill it and we shoved it in the corner. The dead spider remained there for the remainder of our trip. House-keeping was shockingly inadequate.
We were out for almost the whole of our third day. We came back to find that our room hadn't been cleaned because someone had put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on our door despite us having thrown it away before leaving. This was very annoying especially after spending the entire day outside. We managed to fetch some towels and mugs for the next morning at least.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Accessibility, noise, food options, location and especially the housekeeping were massive let-downs. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I really loved that hotel. Peope was really nice and helpful.
The room was clean, the bed well done and the bathroom was clean too.
I had a room with a view down the street but no matter. The only problem was with the window that could not be open.
We must note that the hotel was under construction.
I think that when everything will be finished it will really be nice.
I really recommand this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here for four nights, using it as my base for the Edinburgh Fringe. The hotel is in a great location for the festival events - just around the corner from the Playhouse, 5 mins walk from the Stand Comedy Club, and 10 mins walk from Princes Street.

The hotel is rather basic, but what I expected for the price (£50 for a single room, during peak Festival season). My room was deep down in the basement, through a rather claustrophobic series of corridors. But the room had a big window (although it didn't open), so didn't feel claustrophobic. It was basic but adequate, and had a small but functional bathroom. The room was adequately clean (sheets and bedding seemed fresh), but there was some thick dust in the corners of the carpet, and a lot of black mould growing on the walls in the corners!

The bed was comfortable, and I slept pretty well. Although you can hear the TV through the wall from neighbouring rooms, and the cleaners aren't very quiet in the mornings. Just bring earplugs.

My main concern with this hotel is security - there is no safe in the room, and when I returned to the hotel each day and asked for my room key, the receptionist (a different person every time, so they didn't know me) never asked my name. I could have been anyone, and they'd have just give my key. I raised this with the night manager, who took the issue seriously. All the staff I spoke with were friendly.

Breakfast wasn't included, but I paid extra (£6) for it on the first morning. Easily the worst hotel breakfast ever, and not worth £1, never mind £6. It was very stale, dry croissants (not 'real' croissants - just old bread shaped like a croissant), and warm yoghurts etc. I bought fruit in advance from M&S on Princes Street for future breakfasts, which was much more pleasant. There's also a small Tesco a few minutes walk away, and plenty of nearby cafes for a proper and tasty breakfast - at a price close to the £6 you'd pay here.

However, for all I've said above, I'd seriously consider staying here again for future visits to the Fringe festival. The location is excellent, and as a woman travelling alone I felt very safe returning to the hotel late at night. As somewhere to simply sleep and keep my stuff during the Festival, this hotel served me very well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Its a shame that Tripadvisor has no category between very good and average as that is where I'd put this hotel. Sure, the rooms are a bit "tired" and dated but the staff were very helpful, the room and bathroom clean, the bed comfortable and the biggest plus of all was the location, as others have said. To stay here during the Fringe festival was a good choice and we'd return on a future visit to the city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
roosky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

read reviews before i booked hotel,when i arrived there, july, it was under renovation, very dusty, dirty,no facillities,bar or restarant as stated in reviews,carpet torn and dirty, could not breathe with dust, ,could touch both walls at same time room was so small,room was at other end of street accessed through long corridors and small doors, horrible,when bookeing it stated breakfast included, not so, i left hotel, could not stand dust , had to find alteritive accom, at seven in the evening,bad experience

Room Tip: veiw room before accepting key,
Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Angus, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

The hotel in general is very tired and shoddy. The two rooms we had were small and if a great need of upgrading. In one room the bathroom had been revamped and was modern and very nice, the bathroom in the other room was terrible. Old shower cabinet and sanitary fittings. The carpets in the rooms and public areas were dreadful. The better news is that it looks that the reception and public areas are being upgraded and the breakfast room has been upgraded and was extremely nice. The breakfast which was continental was fine with good selection and priced very reasonably at £6 per person. The position of the hotel is great if you are going to the theatre. Sleep quality beds not that great. Price for a double room was £75 and a single was £45. Ok if you are only in the room to sleep. Room had flat screen tv and free tea and coffee .

Room Tip: Some rooms are being revamped but the ones we were in was extremely poor
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed her for one night in June 2013. I was given a single room across the road from the main hotel. Room was average, en suite was average. Nowhere in my booking did it say breakfast was not included. The breakfast was continental and was again average. When I was asked did I have breakfast and did I enjoy It they tried to charge me £6. Managed to get it own to £3. Still too pricey. Average hotel really nothing special, if you have a few quid go somewhere better. Mediocre at best.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business