“Great fun helpful staff, nothing was to much trouble even when they were super busy.”

Cairn Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #78 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here 11-13 August 2014 in the annex across the road from main hotel (room 31) quite room with no street noise.
And although this building and our room needs an upgrade plus a mirror on the dressing table " I couldn't stretch my hair dryer over to mirror across the other side of the room" we would stay here again. Bus routes are at the end of the road which will take you everywhere you want to go. The lovely helpful very busy staff always gave us the right information on which bus or direction to go.
I would recommend anybody to stay here as long as your aware that its not above a 3 star hotel, is within walking distance to princess street, on the bus route to every attraction, and in a quite location with friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sandra W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Limerick
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights and were dismayed originally to be given a room in the annex. We were lucky to have had room 28 as it was a large enough room. While the room is in need of serious upgrading it suited our purposes.The main issue was the constant door slamming at all times of the day / night. I hope that this will be rectified after all the refurbishment is done. The staff were very helpful and nice and if staying in Edinburgh would stay again but would look for a refurbed room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for the first few days in August. I have to say I was a little aprehensive as the reviews on here are mixed. When I arrived I was totally amazed. My 'single' room was in the basement at the back of the hotel and was huge with a double bed, flat screen tv, refreshment tray with hot choc & shortbread biccies which were replenished every day & a beautiful bathroom; all very modern & new. I found out the reason why the reviews are mixed is because the hotel is still being refurbished. The basement rooms are finished and absolutely wonderful. I believe, after talking with the receptionist, that the ground floor & the first floor are half way refurbed. I mentioned that when everything is completed, I bet the prices will go up but she said all the rooms are charged at the same price whether refurbed or not so it shouldn't make much difference.
The hotel is an easy 10 min walk from Waverley Station & Princes St. The area is very quiet even though the festival was starting. I felt totally safe walking out although I didn't go out on my own at night. All the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. The breakfast room (in the basement) was all new and it is definitely worth the £5 per night for the continental breakfast as you get such a lot of choice. Don't miss out on the freshly made waffles; you do them yourself, it's easy and only takes 3 mins. Checking in & out was speedy & no problem.
I might just add that when I booked through their own website they offer 25% discount if you paid up front. I did this and realised later that on my four night stay, which should have cost £350, I paid £280 for which was only 20%. I mentioned this to the receptionist on checking out and she told me she would pass the details on to the manager. Three days later I received an email and the other 5% (£17.50) was refunded back to me. This in itself shows how good & efficient the hotel is.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will certainly stay here again when I visit Edinburgh. The location, rooms, staff and service were excellent all at an extremely good price for a city hotel.

Room Tip: Hope that you get a refurbed room but I would imagine that very soon they will all be completed.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank June1958
sydney
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booked this last minute for 2 nights. This is a boutique hotel that has off street parking available. Our room was in need of an upgrade, however, it was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and the place is CHEAP. For what we needed it was perfect, we spent little time in the room as there is so much to see in Edinburgh. Its in a good area and nice and close to most things or an easy walk to others.We would stay again and recommend it, the staff are also very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyCath
stratford upon avon
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stay in Cairn Hotel Edinburgh in 2007 and I must say - the worst hotel we have ever slept.
Carpet was dirty,full of stain, on the sheet was somebody blood - probably from previous visitors!!!
Old television,old furniture , ugly bathroom!!!Breakfast was Ok.
Edinburgh town is other story - but good story

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We booked this quite late on so had a limited choice at sensible prices.Looked a good choice as Cairn own Royal station hotel at Newcastle,which we have been loads of times,guess again!
This was a nice old building but very limited facilities and pretty shabby.The room offered was in the annex over the road which was pretty dank,wife got a key for another room which was as bad.
We went back to reception and after some consultation gave us a room on site which was ok,smaller but still had twin beds and nice and bright.
Staff were lovely, the location excellent,towels got changed and tv was fine. Breakfast was only a continental buffet and a bit steep, however there is a wetherspoons 5 mins walk away!

Room Tip: Avoid the annex across the road.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
West Branch, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our room was large (considering it had two singles and a double bed) and even without air conditioning the high ceiling and large window kept it comfortably cool. Staff was friendly, room was clean, and it was within easy walking distance of everything, even the castle. The beds were comfortable, and it was quiet and peaceful all night, despite being close to a busy street. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the courtyard are very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family