“Basic, no frills”

Ranked #71 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
East Lansing, Michigan
“Basic, no frills”
Reviewed 20 August 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights and, for the most part, our stay at the Cairn went just fine. The biggest pluses are 1) clean and recently remodeled bathrooms, 2) a good location (close to restaurants and a fairly easy walk to the main tourist attractions), and 3) free wireless. I also appreciated getting, in addition to the typical instant coffees and teas in the room, hot chocolate packets and some biscuits (although these were not restocked in our room the second day).

The staff was helpful--told us how to use the wireless and called an AM cab for us to the train station--but wasn't particularly friendly.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel when visiting Edinburgh to go to the Military Tattoo. We arrived early and was given the oppurtunity to leave our luggage in a locked room ... great. Then when we returned to check in later in the day we were asked to pay for the room there and then, not simply a swipe of a card and pay on check out.... there was a reason for this. The room was disgusting! The beige carpet was dirty, the bed sheets had seen better days and no washing powder, the bathroom was a joke. To enter the bathroom you had to squeeze yourself between the sink and the toilet so that you could close the door, the towel bath mat was dirty when we exited the shower due to the dirt between the grout on the floor tiles! Luckily we were only there for one night! I would never recommend this hotel. Although breakfast was nice and basic.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
13 Thank Lulu061183
New Plymouth
Reviewed 18 July 2009

10 min walk from royal mile/princes st. Its a bit of a maze to get to room, with no lift.
We were able to leave our luggage when we went on a 3 day tour. Room was big enough as well as bathroom. Breakfast was great with choice of cereals and hot breakfast, not a buffet, you order what you want and they bring it to you.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
South Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Edinburgh was a great city to walk around the hotel was close enough to the city center but not so much that it was loud during the evening. I stayed on the second floor and although it was a bit of a maze getting to the room it was worth it. A nice big window made for great natural light and air.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
fife
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Location of the hotel is excellent for all amenities in the city centre, altho off the main streets so still quiet.

Reception - friendly,helpful and informative.

Breakfast - newly decorated and clean - excellent breakfast!

Bar - reasonably priced and well stocked.

Our Room - Large and clean with everything you need altho in need of some decoration (we were in the annex building which has yet to be updated)

Will be using hotel again in future.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Midland, USA
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I spent 1 night here. After walking around Edinburgh all day, I checked in and was going to go walking again, but since I was sick I decided to take a nap instead. Turns out that was a good choice. About an hour later, I jumped up from my sleep to the sound of someone opening the door to my room (there are no chains on the doors). After calming down from the fear and anger of it, I guess for some unknown reason they didn't have me in this room and were giving it to someone else. That's great. So, if I had gone walking again and left my luggage, these new occupants would have had free access to everything I had brought on this trip. Um, no, I don't recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
14 Thank ploppsdman
Scotland
Reviewed 21 May 2009

As far as the singles go it's fine. Despite a lot of bad review for this hotel on the web site I found it to be good value for money and have no complaints. As far as a value goes i'd say it's one of the best "budget" hotel's for singles I've seen in Scotland. Right beside the "Theatre area" as they promise. The staff where fine, the room and bathroom was clean although small. Room was secure and I had no problems the one night I stayed. Free wi-fi and bar and lounge are ok. Only complaints if I had any would be on the "other" side of town from the "Royal Mile" (where the tourist action is) and a bit of a hike down the hill from the train station. I'd happily stay again :)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo