“Excellent value, about 150m from Waverley”

Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James
Ranked #97 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Excellent value, about 150m from Waverley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

All that you might want is here. Rooms not huge, but good value and breakfast realistically priced as well. As often with Thistle, friendly service completed the picture. Wifi free. Carpet could do with a little attention and bathroom quite small: if these had been fixed I would have give this an 'Excellent' rating!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisVCGM, Manager at Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your review of Thistle Edinburgh, The King James. It's very kind of you to take the time to leave your comments, and I'm sure the team will be delighted to read them. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be good value, we do try hard to ensure this is the case for all of our guests.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!
Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I use this hotel whilst on business on a regular basis. Whilst facilities are somewhat
United the location is great and the staff are always helpful and wiling to help. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you want a full nights sleep though, the street facing rooms can be a little noisy !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of the Thistle Edinburgh, The King James! I'm glad you found our location to be excellent, and yes it can be a little noisy in the city centre. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Anyone who knows me know that I have a pet hate for poor customer service.

And so upon arriving on a late flight into Edinburgh, I was less than impressed by the gentleman checking me in who felt it necessary to complete a telephone call with a colleague before even acknowledging my presence. It took the best part of 5 minutes for him to check me in.

The room itself was even more underwhelming. It was basically a single room with a double bed squeezed into it, a fan that rotated so slowly that it was of precisely no value and - as it backed out onto the City Centre was incredibly noisy throughout the night. The bathroom was so tight that it requires basic level gymnastics to get in the (adequately powerful and pleasant) shower. Cleanliness was a little suspect and clearly the system of not providing real hangers for clothing (the theft avoidance system) hasn't worked as there were only a couple in my wardrobe.

When I tried to get into the restaurant (still with several tables of guests) at 9:31pm, I was told that they 'stopped serving' at 9:30pm. Room service was suggested. I wondered whether this was a joke given that there was barely space to sleep in my room let alone eat too. Apparently it wasn't a joke and I could eat in the bar if I wished. So I ate what can only be described as (expensive) poor pub food in the bar. Having had two courses, I returned to my cell and walked past the restaurant. What's this? 2 tables of guests still tucking into food. That must have annoyed the staff as they are keen to 'cash up' 45 minutes before.

Breakfast was pretty good. There was a good choice available and the hot choices were regularly replenished which meant that it all looked fresh. One thing - if you don't have skimmed milk then that's not an issue. Just don't bring whole milk over and try to pass it of as skimmed. Most people can tell the difference and repeatedly saying 'it is skimmed' is bad form.

Location is very good. Hotel is in need of a face lift and the staff are in need of a kick up the backside. Otherwise a hotel with much going for it will slip into the realms of 'avoid at all costs'. I certainly will not be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank fairtravel2380
ChrisVCGM, Manager at Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel, I appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay.
I must offer my apologies that our hotel did not meet your expectations in some areas, and thank you for your kind comments regarding our breakfast which we are particularly proud of.
It is true that we have some rooms which are smaller than others, but I would urge any customer who is not satisfied with any aspect of thier stay to let a member of our team know so this can be rectified. Our rooms range from standard type through to junior suite, and I'm sure if we had the opportunity we could have moved you to something more in line with your expectations.
Our location as a city centre hotel does bring with it some disadvantages as well as positives, city noise being one of those. Again we have the option of rooms to the back of the hotel for those who find this background noise overly disturbing.
I'm pleased that our restaurant team were able to offer you options for dining although our restaurant had closed when you arrived there, and I'm sorry you found our food to be expensive - we have many positive comments about our menus, both the new Thistle dinner menu and our own market menu.
We have received many favourable reviews regarding our team's friendliness and willingness to go the extra mile for our guests, something that we work hard to ensure is part of the culture here. I'm sorry that you appear not to have found this in evidence, and for that I offer my apologies.
Malton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked the Thistle despite some unfavourable reviews on other sites. We were certainly not disappointed at all! The grey exterior didn't put us off, this is a lovely welcoming hotel with smiling friendly staff who make you feel at home the minute you step through the doors. The receptionist provided us with a map and marked out some good places to visit. Our room was perfect, very clean, a lovely comfortable bed, great bathroom with plenty of towels, in fact everything you would expect from a hotel part of a large chain of hotels. An ideally situated hotel just a few minutes walk away from Waverley station and within easy walking distance of most of Edinburgh's attractions. Our stay didn't include breakfast, but it is available if wanted. We found somewhere for breakfast on the High Street, just 5 mins walk away, we used it both mornings of our stay. Again we ate out in the evenings as we prefer to sample the restaurants and eating places (of which there are many) when we go away, so we can't comment on the hotels food, but it always smelt delicious. There is so much to do and see in this busy wonderful city with it's very friendly people, we enjoyed every minute and if we get the chance to return and take in more delights, we shall certainly stay at the Thistle without any hesitation and would definitely recommend it to friends. Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 366Kathryn
ThistleEdinburgh, General Manager at Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such a lovely 5 star review of Thistle Edinburgh, King James!

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that my friendly team made you feel welcomed and at home. We do try our very best to make sure our guests enjoy their time with us and I am delighted to hear that you did and that your room was perfect for you too. We are very centrally based and are therefore very handy for exploring the wonderful city of Edinburgh; shops, bars, restaurants and attractions such as Edinburgh Castle and Princes Street are all very close and of course the transport links are all very near us too, the bus station, Waverley railway station and the trams too, now.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay with us, we really do appreciate it! I hope we can welcome you back to Thistle Edinburgh, King James very soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel 17th and 18th July 2014, at first I was asked if I wanted to be at the front of the hotel or the back, I asked the receptionist what she recommended, she said the back would be more quiet. I agreed but when I got to the room I did not like it, it was facing a brick wall and was very dark and dingy, I rang down to reception and asked if I could possibly be moved and within 10 minutes the gentleman from the reception was at my door with a new room for me, he took my luggage to my new room for me and was very helpful. The lady that checked me in was very helpful too, she googled how to get to the zoo for me. The room was very comfortable the only thing I found I did not like was the bathroom, far too small with only a tiny space to put your toiletries, I had to keep the lid of the toilet down for fear my things would fall off the shelf into it. The location of the hotel was excellent, 5 minute walk from Edinburgh Waverley Station. I did not eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on that. Spotlessly clean room. I found the WiFi was not very good, mind that might have been because it was only in the public areas, I just tried it in my room. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Even thought the bathroom was too small. Also had a safe in the wardrobe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sharon C
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review of Thistle Edinburgh, King James, I am pleased to hear you will be returning to stay with us again.

We do have many different room types, some have larger bathrooms than others and being a city centre hotel a lot of our rooms don’t have views, as such, I am sorry that you first room wasn’t to your liking, but I am glad my team quickly dealt with this for you and helped you move to another room at the front.
Our Wi-Fi should work well in every area of the hotel, not just the public areas, please do let us know at the time, next time you stay if this is the case so we can try to sort this out for you while you are still staying with us.

We do have a great central location, close to Waverley station and other transport links, as well as all the shops, bars, restaurants and other attractions Edinburgh has to offer.
Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, we really do appreciate it and we look forward to welcoming you back again to Thistle Edinburgh King James very soon

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Only bad thing to say is that we only stayed 1 night. Greeted by friendly staff with a good sense of humour even though they were obviously busy. Room was at the front but didn't have a problem with noise, great waking up and watching the city come alive, the pony, piglets and goats outside the window was an added bonus for me. Room was spotless and a fair size, bar was really nice too, prices as you would expect from a 4 star hotel, location is one of the best you could get, will definitely be our first choice when going back to Edinburgh.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review of Thistle Edinburgh, King James, following your recent stay with us, I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and the team will be delighted to know that you felt welcomed by friendly faces.
We do have a fantastic central location as you say, very close to everything Edinburgh has to offer and the wee show of farm animals at St James centre over the weekend were just an added bonus!
Thank you again for taking the time to write such a lovely review, it really does mean a lot to us and we really look forward to seeing you at Thistle Edinburgh, King James again very soon

Tuscumbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Mike and Ella were FANTASTIC at the front desk in helping me to send a fax to the U.S.! The hotel was central to great sights, shopping, and food! I would highly recommend the Thistle hotels across the U.K.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your fantastic review of Thistle Edinburgh, King James, Mike and Ela will be delighted to know that everything went well for you and they were able to help.
We are very central to everything in Edinburgh, which is a real bonus when you stay with us! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon