“Eire”

Ranked #89 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dublin, Ireland
“Eire”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Had a lovely 3 night stay in Brooks Hotel. Newly refurbished, lovely décor, good balance of old and new furniture which adds character. Bathrooms a bit small but very clean. Good location near Grass Market area and Haymarket station. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great choice for breakfast, suit all diets and tastes. Lots of character, pictures on website don't lie. Ladies, the Nail bar next door a great way to spend an hour or two if you've time to kill between checking out and flight.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the back. May seem like a quite street but seems to get a lot of traffic, even at w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in a king-sized room for three nights in June 2013.

It was an extremely difficult task trying to find a reasonably priced hotel in the Edinburgh city centre but it seems with the Brooks Hotel our search was over. The hotel has recently been refurbished to give 'boutique quality at affordable prices' and this it suceeds in. However, as my partner and I encountered a few issues I will go into more detail than I usually would.

For those worried about the location fear not. There is a Tesco Metro just around the corner, less than 5 minutes' walk. Lothian Road, 5 minutes away, hosts a variety of mini-supermarkets, bars and restaurants including several chains such as Nandos and Wagamama. The city centre is about a 10-15 minute walk. However, you can also take the number 22 bus that runs regularly to the city centre (Princes Street) and then Ocean Terminal. A note on Edinburgh buses though: make sure you have correct change!

On to the room itself, we found it clean, stylish and modern; the furnishings were of a high quality. I particularly liked the shower room and the LED mirror; the heated towel rack was a nice touch but no room for a toilet roll holder!

One important thing to note: the rooms do not have air conditioning, heating only. As this is an old, historic building I imagine installing A/C would be a costly and difficult task not to mention possibly taking away some its aesthetic value. Fortunately it was not particularly warm at night-time (9-10C) so we were relatively comfortable with the window open; although for security reasons you cannot open it particularly far.

We did have a couple of issues on arrival. First of all we were expecting a king sized bed, but we were presented with two singles put together. The gentleman on reception said this was 'industry standard' and should have been zipped together with a mattress topper; this was not the case. The former was rectified improving the situation slightly on the second day but no sign of the mattress topper. I have to say though the beds themselves were extremely comfortable; the quality of the bed linen was high also.

Secondly we were only given one shower mat and one hand towel for the two of us; the gentleman on night duty, extremely helpful guy by the way, sorted us out with extra towels when we returned. The hotel guide mentions that towels/linen are only replaced once every three days, although you can request at reception to have them changed. We would have preferred daily changes as standard with the option of towels/linen not being refreshed such as what other hotels do e.g. towels on floor, change please, towels on rack, keep.

At the end of our stay we also noticed that the hotel guide informs guests that there are 'do not disturb' signs on the doors - not so in our room. This would have saved a slightly embarassing situation when housekeeping tried to come in at half past 9!

The door to our room was also quite odd. Most self-closing doors will close quickly at first and then slow down to avoid causing a loud bang on closing. This door got it the other way around, taking a good 30 seconds to shut fully; trying to push it shut faster is difficult and not recommended. Perhaps the mechanism could be adjusted?

The complimentary toiletries present on the first day were four small bottles of shampoo. These were not replenished and on the final night I asked the guy on night duty for some shower gel/shampoo having seen some in the housekeeper's tray. Coincidentally some other guests walking past at the time were also presented with the same situation on arrival.

Breakfast was excellent. Apart from a full, cooked Scottish breakfast they also offered bacon/sausage toasted sandwiches as well as weekly specials. I really liked the freshly baked, home-cooked muffins. Cereal, toast and fruit were also on offer.

We did not have the chance to look much at the lounge or terrace garden, but it seemed like the rest of the hotel to be decorated and furnished to a high and comfortable standard.

So in summary this hotel has some excellent foundations on which to build on, however, there are some inconsistenices that in my opinion need to be rectified. I'm not sure if I would stay here again without the facility of A/C; I think it would depend on the season, which is a crying shame as I loved the hotel. If you are not bothered about A/C then I would recommend as it is surely one of the best value hotels in the city centre.

Room Tip: Phone ahead to request a room with a better view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tillyhorn
Carla B, Owner at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
thank you for comments the " do not disturb signs" are now up sorry they were not up in time for you and sorry about the no air conditioning we took a decision not to get it becuase its Scotland and normally colder than South of England

Glad you liked the decor breakfast and us the staff thanks again for good comments
Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We stayed for one night. Just for a change if scenery. Great value. Newly refurbished. Reception check in was smooth. Good location. 5 minutes walk from the cinema. 10 minutes from the city centre. Breakfast was delicious. Friendly service. Honesty bar is an excellent idea.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank globaltrott
Carla B, Owner at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
thank you for your lovely feedback it makes us v happy
Pisa, Italy
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed 3 nights at this good value, comfortable hotel. The room was spacious, very clean and shower in bathroom was very modern and clean. There were tea and coffee facilities and hairdryer. The aspect. Of room was looking out to courtyard garden below and views across to the quay and beyond. I was particularly impressed with the inclusive breakfast where the full Scottish breakfast a real tasty bonus. I found all the staff very friendly and helpful. I liked the honesty bar and enjoyed the lounge area to relax in. The hotel was very close to bus routes into the City Centre but a 10 minute walk gets you to the station at Haymarket, for all major routes. The airport link bus was very reasonable price but with the 're-vamp of the station area I was unable to locate easily .

Room Tip: Hotel room very spacious and good value.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tuscan18
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the hotel for a couple of days at the end of May and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, with attentive service, good breakfasts with daily specials and comfortable rooms.
There were only three things that I mentioned:
Our room could have been designed slightly better, the bed was right next to the door and didn't have room for two bedside lamps.
The porter could have offered to help my wife with the bags whilst I was off parking the car.
One of the towels had a small hole - quickly rectified by the manager.

Overall a great stay an thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mark B
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My boyfriend booked us 1 night here for my birthday and it was fab, we would definitely recommend and come back again! I understand the hotel has recently been refurbished and it seems to have been done to a high standard. It has a contemporary feel to it and even though we had a compact double room it was perfectly adequate for our stay. Nice double bed, tv, kettle and very nice bathroom with power shower, toiletries and towels. My hairdryer broke but this was replaced without question. As mentioned in previous reviews there are certainly some squeeky and wonky floorboards but it is an old building so it has to be expected!

There is a large lounge with access to a courtyard garden with an honesty bar. it was really nice to sit and relax in the lounge after our night in edinburgh.

Breakfast was fab, lots to choose from in the continental section plus a cooked breakfast if you wanted it which was served by a waitress and not buffet style. I had a full scottish breakfast and this was lovely and of a much higher standard than i was expecting.

It is about a 10 minute walk to Princes street and all the shops but we don't mind a bit of a walk so this didn't put us off. There isn't any parking at the hotel and we had to park at the NCP opposite the travel lodge which was £12 for 24 hours, this is about a 5 minute walk away so drop your bags off first if you have lots!

Overall it was a really nice stay, pleasant staff and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I want to endorse all the positive things other guests have said. A friend and I booked after reading so many good reviews on Trip Advisor - and we are not disappointed! I'm writing this in the very comfortable stylish lounge which has a very well stocked honesty bar. Breakfast was delicious - we had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on granary toast. The staff are cheery and kind and the rooms are very nicely done. Ours are not large but the refurbishment is of a high standard, towels are large and fluffy, beds very comfortable. I would say that it is a little further from the centre than we had thought but it was a easy walk from Haymarket Station when we arrived and is definitely a hotel to be warmly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends