“Good value; friendly staff”

Brooks Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #89 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Good value; friendly staff”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is a great value and very close to the action of Edinburgh. All the staff were very friendly, especially Paul, the night deskman. This place is minimalist in many ways but exceptional in cool ways, such as in the "Honesty Bar" on the ground floor where you can pour yourself a drink and relax. The cook is a nice guy and appreciates compliments on his cooking. The breakfast serving staff are often too busy to do the job well so it can take some initiative on your own to get your food.

Room Tip: We got a room facing the courtyard and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Polish first
Angus
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is one of the best hotel experiences I have had. We stayed to visit the Highland Show. A warm welcome, all staff excellent. Stylish design, spotless rooms, great shower. Great location 10 minute walk to City centre. Highlight of stay is breakfast, fresh local produce, fresh berries on pancakes, best bacon I have tasted. Overall this hotel delivers an authentic 5 star experience should be graded much higher than 3 stars. My new hotel of choice in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 21 June 2013

we were staying at the Brooks for the first time whilst on business for 2 nights in Edinburgh.
after our first night ,we came down and we asked if there was a fan available to put in the room as we were very warm in the night. we were told that they did not have one as it was unusual to be warm in Edinburgh! when we returned that evening and collected our key we were informed there was now a fan in the room. and lo and behold there was ! they had gone and bought a fan that day.
we have stayed in top class hotels throughout the world and none have responded to guest request so quickly and without fuss. this small detail earned our 5 star rating and our return custom.
the staff are excellent and are happy to go the extra mile.
incidentally , the breakfast is very good .

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The hotel and the location are ok for the price, if you're looking for something not very fancy I'd recomend it. The breakfast is amazing, besides the normal breakfast they have this special options that are just delicious. I'd stay there again no problem and would recomend it. The staff is great as well!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Carla B, Owner at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
thank you for the lovely comments glad you liked your stay the breakfast and staff
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This hotel oozes character. It is warm, cosy, clean, friendly, helpful. Room perfect. Shower over bath with great water pressure. Thick, soft towels.
Breakfast room with an a la carte menu and simple buffet that includes both toasted and untoasted museli.
A lounge with an honour bar. Restaurants round the corner as well as a Tescos supermarket.

• Stayed June 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by reviews on another website. Going through Edinburgh every month I keep a shortlist of the places to return to, this tops it. It's Fountainbridge location puts you walking distance from town, Grassmarket and Haymarket station. The 24 service is fantastic, the food is fresh and cooked to order (much better than hotels of the same category that preheat). Rooms are comfortable--no view to speak of unfortunately. The Private Patio is ideal in summer/good weather whether you smoke or just like to drink/sit in the open air. An Honesty Bar is provided and stocked with excellent spirits. No hidden charges of any kind: free wifi, coffee and luggage holding. The café next door, Mademoiselle is also excellent.

Room Tip: Book on their website, booking early and late will yield better room rates. Calling ahead, even bett...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
thank you very much for your positive comments very much appreicated hope to see you agian in Edinburgh or Bath or Bristol
Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed here with my sister for two nights at the beginning of June. We are both in our twenties and it is NOT a short walk to the city centre - twenty to 25 minutes at least.

The room was small, basic. Nice TV and the wallpaper was a cool design. However the room was stuffy and the bathroom was incredibly small.

Our room was next to the lift and anytime someone walked out or into the lift, the floorboards in our room would creak. Likewise when anyone walked past our room, we could feel our floorboards sounding.

We left both large towels on the floor to be changed and on our return we saw there were two towels hanging on the radiator. One was new, the other still had tan/make-up marks on it. Shampoo was not replaced, we had to ask for more. Also, as the towel trolley was kept outside our room each day, we noticed that the hotel also stocked containers of conditioning cream and shower gel - these were not given to our room either day, which we thought was strange.

There is no secure lock facility on the inside of the door (i.e. it can be opened from the outside with a key, there is no separate inner lock) and both mornings this caused a problem. We had been busy traveling and wanted a lie-in til breakfast on the first morning, when a maid came into the room (knocked, but didn't wait for a response) and then left when she saw us in bed (we had already awoken with the noisy floorboards). The second morning a maid walked in (no knock/housekeeping call to warn) to see my sister undressing - her bed was right next to the door. This is the most embarrassing scene I have ever witnessed in the hotel. There are no 'do not disturb' signs and no way of preventing housekeeping from entering the room.

I booked this hotel two months in advance and paid £220 for two nights. The week before my arrival I was on Brooks website to see the check-in time and I thought I'd look at their room prices again (because in my mind I thought I'd see how much I had saved by booking in advance). To my surprise the exact same room rate (twin incl. breakfast) was now being advertised for £140. So I emailed the website, told them the price I had discovered and asked them if I could cancel the room I had booked and re-book it using the cheaper rate. Received no reply, but as we were busy traveling around Dundee and Glasgow I didn't check my emails until the day before I got to Brooks. Naturally, of course, the receptionist said it was "impossible" that a room would have been reduced in price closer to the date of arrival and that I must have been mistaken. I persisted and eventually he conceded that it was "unlikely yet possible" that they advertised the room £80 less a week before, thus rewarding last minute customers and financially punishing guests who researched and booked in advance. The receptionist also stated they had not received any correspondence from me in relation to booking the room at the cheaper rate, even when I forwarded the email which clearly detailed my request and the date on which I sent it. I demanded a discount and finally got £30 off the room - in my mind Brooks made £50 very cheekily, by ignoring the email I sent.

Overall, Brooks was not a great place to stay in Edinburgh. I was disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KerryGirl_14
Thank you for your comments & for staying. Sorry you did not enjoy your stay , the hotel is 0.6km from the castle which is 10 min walk but if you are going to another part of the city it’s longer. If 0.6km is too long to walk a great bus service is available from outside the hotel for £1.50 The Castle is defined as the city centre as the city was built around it.
The building is old 1840 so some floor boards creek this happens in old buildings,, the keys to the room allow you to lock your door but if you were having trouble we would have showed you sorry. We have a do not disturb sign which means you can tell us if you wish to be left alone. We replace towels every three days as is now industry standard if you wish more we can do it no problem but you have to tell us . We replace the shampoo and shower gel daily during housekeeping sorry if yours was not done. £55 per person per night including breakfast is still £20 under the average rate for Edinburgh hotels I know it’s an expensive city , you are right Glasgow is much cheaper.
There are last minute offers available on our website and it depends on room types available we have small doubles which are cheaper but typically only one person in them for £80 which is what you saw advertised.