“Best Deal Anywhere”

Brooks Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #86 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 July 2013

If you can stay at a Brooks Guest house, not matter what city, do it!

We had stayed in their hotel in Bath and the Edinburgh hotel just opened this year. We knew we couldn't go wrong here.

The staff is super helpful and friendly. Their breakfasts (which are included) are the best we have ever had anywhere in the UK and Europe and the rooms at the Edinburgh hotel were nicely appointed.

We had a family room with four of us and we were very comfortable. Everything was new and nice.

Keep in mind, the bathrooms are small and the hallways narrow where the guest rooms are.

The hotel is next door to an awesome tea room - Delices de Mademoiselle - which is a great find and the guest house is within walking distance to the City Center.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Brooks Hotel Edinburgh

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June 2013. Though its a small budget old style hotel, it was clean and well done up. The staff were courteous and good. As it was new room, the intercom was not working on the first day. Its a walkable distance from major attractions in Edinburgh. Its too has nice lounge area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They accommodated my need for non-feather pillows and duvet, sorted any problems which arose without hesitation and were very helpful in suggesting places to eat, how to reach parts of the city I wished to explore etc. Each day when I came back to the hotel, I was greeted with smiles and queries about how my day had gone.
The hotel is located within easy walking distance from the Haymarket train station which is one of the stops on the airport bus route. It's situated near the city centre without having the noise associated with being in the hub of Edinburgh.
The breakfasts were delicious with cooked options and a "specials" board. One reviewer has complained that there were no croissants. Since this isn't France, why should a guest expect these? Instead, the hotel has fresh homemade muffins, homemade granola and fruit compote as well as cereals, toast etc.
I stayed in a compact double. I would only recommend these for a single person as there isn't enough space for two - unless you are very close or want to risk falling out during your stay! The shower was in a cubicle - much nicer than one over a bath with a manky shower curtain.
There's a lovely lounge with an honesty bar. The prices of this are very reasonable eg: can of coke = £1. Having a comfortable lounge means that you don't have to stay in your room all the time. The staff light candles here as the evening draws in.
I would recommend the little Vietnamese restaurant at the end of Grove Street - just a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I had never heard of this hotel when I booked it but I must say that it is a hidden gem and I'll stay there again. It is only a short walk from Haymarket train station on a quiet street. The hotel has been wonderfully converted from an old tenement building and it has retained some wonderful features like the stair tiles.
Staff were very pleasant and friendly and we could leave our bags and go exploring before check in time and after we had checked out. The hotel is about 15 minutes walk from Princess Street and the Grassmarket with bus stops near by as well if you don't want to walk. The hotel is also very near the canal which has been rejuvenated and has bars and restaurants.

The room were very nice. The only thing I would say is that ours was quite dark as only one of the windows let in light, the other looked at a brick wall. Shower as great too and there was a lot of room to hang up clothes etc.

Will definitely try to book this hotel again when I go back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We couldn't be happier with our stay at the Brooks Hotel! The room was large, well appointed and tastefully decorated. The linens were large and very nice. The room was quiet and easy to access. The term "hotel" was a little misleading, breakfast was fantastic, more like that at an upscale B & B. There are not many restaurants in the area and the parking area is not real convenient. However, the guest lounge and "on your honor" snacks is very nice. Don't let the lack of grand lobby fool you, this is 5-star.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

This hotel is an excellent compromise between affordability and location. It's not right in the heart of town but it's only a short enjoyable walk to everything while being much cheaper than most alternatives.

I stayed in what was billed as a "standard double" room. It was smallish but at the same time I felt quite comfortable in it, though two people might feel a bit crowded. It had a nice big window that let in the summer solstice sun and a comfortable bed. It also had small desk and little table with a teapot and so forth. The bathroom was small though it conveniently had a heating rack which allowed me to wash and dry a couple of shirts during my one day stay.

The WiFi signal was weak in my third floor room, but the hotel has nice lounge and honor bar area from where the WiFi signal was strong. They also offer a breakfast for extra but I skipped it in favor of the nearby Loudons Cafe and Bakery which had immediately reeled me in with its fine looking table of desserts.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CyrusL
Carla B, Owner at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

thank you for the lovely comments glad you liked the rooms honesty bar and lounge sorry you didn't get a chance to try our breakfast as you can see from the other tripadivsor reivews guests love it . Hope to see you again in Brooks Bath , Bristol or Edinburgh.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I went to Edinburgh to attend a conference at the university and meet up with my extended family. Brooks Hotel was the perfect location for spending time with my family and chatting over a long breakfast. The lounge area was so comfortable we didnt want to leave. We could walk into town and Princess St. and I could also walk to the conference venue. The hotel staff were so helpful and the breakfasts were delicious. They really set us up for the day. The rooms were fantastic, I don't think I have ever slept so well

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally comfortable, charming and cosy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family