“Lovely Boutique Hotel.”

Ranked #90 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely Boutique Hotel.”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed here for a few days in July for my sons graduation. Bedroom was nicely decorated and bed very comfortable. Bathroom was tiny but very well fitted and contained everything we needed, lovely fluffy towels and good quality toiletries.Did hear a little noise from the road but nothing that kept us awake the two nights we stayed there.

Breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and good quality foods on offer. Service was swift on the first morning we had breakfast, not so on the second one, the Spanish waiter seemed to be ignoring us and was serving people who arrived after us. When after waiting for about 20mins for him to take our order we asked him if he could possibly take our order he replied I will be with you in a minute then carried on serving other people. After another ten minutes we were starting to get annoyed and thankfully the owner walked in and we spoke to her about the matter. Carla was lovely, attended to our order straight away and harmony was restored.

Moan over, the rest of the hotel was very comfortable, nice lounge with well stocked honesty bar leading on to a lovely little garden for those who like to sit out in our sometimes lovely weather or in my case to have a fag.

Parking, was a bit worried about this but we got slightly discounted tickets from the hotel and car park was about 5mins away.

Really quite enjoyed my stay here( apart from grumpy waiter ) felt it was something different from the usual chains , paid about £180 for two nights including breakfast which at the time of me booking was very reasonable compared to a lot of hotels in Edinburgh.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Carla B, General Manager at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you taking the time to post a review of Brooks Hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise for the issues you experienced during breakfast but am glad to hear that Carla was there to rectify this for you. We have since spent a lot of time training all breakfast staff in order to avoid this situation again. Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Emma Loane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I booked this hotel for a week long stay to attend the Edinburgh Fringe festival. Since venues are all over town, it is hard to pick somewhere "central" to stay. I had previously stayed on the other side of town and was interested in exploring a new neighborhood. Ultimately this was an easy enough walk to the general festival area (usually about 20 minutes) and was close to the Traverse Theatre where I had a lot of bookings. The hotel ended up being a mixed bag for me. The room was clean. Free wifi. Safe and secure with a night porter to let you into the building. But the bed was just awful. It was two single mattresses pushed together and they were both saggy. One was god-awful and the other was terrible but manageable so that was the one I slept on. Basically just old and needed to be replaced. It's been a while since I have encountered such a terrible bed and I'm not a picky sleeper. There was also a loud whirring/mechanical sound from outside that I could hear most mornings. It did not wake me but if you are a sensitive sleeper it is something to consider. Although breakfast was included I did not take part in it most mornings. It was very crowded and one morning I did not have time to wait on a table. If you are in a hurry you would need to plan ahead to get into breakfast if you are staying there in August. The breakfast, when I did eat it, was very nice. I think it is cooked to order and that is why it takes so long. But with a busy festival schedule I did not have a lot of extra time to spare. I ended up having a nice cooked breakfast at Loudons Café around the corner. It was so good I went there every day thereafter. In the end this was a serviceable hotel at a reasonable price but with the bed problem and the noise issue I would not stay there again. There are so many properties in Edinburgh there is no reason to settle for this one which is ok but not great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Carla B, Owner at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at Brooks sorry you did not like the beds they are brand new as the entire hotel is newly refurbished in May 2013 , Beds in the UK are softer than the USA its a cultural preference , We have 1000 pocket sprung beds which I believe are not available in the States as they are a higher quality but I know its different to home . Sorry you did not have the chance to experience our breakfast during Festival, we served it daily from 8am - 11am as most guests were on holiday and not in a hurry. Our hotel is typically £20 under the average price of hotels in Edinburgh which means you get affordable luxury boutique style on a budget . you are right there are better hotels in terms of luxury but they tend to be £300 a night rather than £100 per night during festival .
Reviewed 23 September 2013

As the Festivals were on in Edinburgh at the time of our stay, we had to look for a hotel slightly further from the centre than we usually stay in due to lack of vacancies and prices being high elsewhere. We paid for a superior room to get more space as the rooms are on the small side in this hotel. The hotel has lovely decor and atmosphere - great shared seating spaces downstairs. We didn't eat breakfast here, but could see that it looked a good standard selection. My only grip about the hotel is that when we checked in, we were given a tiny standard room and I had to phone the guy at the front desk to let him know I had paid for a superior room. We moved our things out of the room to a bigger room on a different floor, (annoying when you're tired) but I somehow felt that it wasn't a genuine mistake. The guy at reception - probably Polish - has the usual courteous detachment of most Eastern Europeans who don't seem to offer the same level of service and warmth as those who come from more prosperous nations, but he made more of an effort after this. We'd stay here again - in a superior room. It takes 15-20 mins to walk to the town centre if you're fit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Carla B, General Manager at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor. We are very sorry for the genuine error made at the start of your stay, I am pleased to hear however that our front desk team rectified this quickly and efficiently, and you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay with us.
We employ people from all over the world and find that the additional languages and mix of culture adds to the guest experience, especially with so many of our guests travelling from abroad to visit Edinburgh.
It is a shame that you didn’t have the opportunity to sample our breakfasts, we receive many compliments and great reviews in this area and are very proud of the wide range of specials (such as French Toast and Porridge with a dash of Whisky ) we offer – may be next time!
cardiff UK
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Excellent breakfasts, but the room is "basic" rather than "minimalist". It's understandable that hotels do not want to needlessly put unused toiletries out all the time (e.g. sewing kits, shoe polish etc), but this hotel didn't even have a hairdryer or wifi in the rooms (although there is wifi at reception) and doesn't stock those "handy" items such as earplugs or shower caps at the reception either. This hotel is located on quite a noisey street, and poor aircon in the rooms means leaving the window open and a noisey night's sleep. Although the breakfasts truly were delicious (esp the muffins), with a choice of dishes and attentive waiting staff, with the wealth of great looking cafes in town to breakfast at, next time, I would opt for a cheaper hotel and spend the money elsewhere.
The shower rooms are quite small, but what IS there, IS good quality - little touches like a soap dispenser, a hook on the door or more space to hang towels would have been good.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front if you want a chance of a quiet night.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LK1cardiffUK
Carla B, General Manager at Brooks Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of us, we find that all guest feedback is invaluable to us.
I am sorry that you felt us to be a little expensive, a great deal of research goes into our rates and we find that we are very competitive with other hotels in Edinburgh. We do provide complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and hairdryers in all of our rooms, I apologise if you experienced an issue with either of these services during your stay.
We are a city centre hotel and therefore a little traffic noise and other general city noise can be experienced during peak times, if a light sleeper or not used to a central location we will always endeavour to place you in a room at the back of the hotel away from the road.
I am glad that you did enjoy your breakfast.
Kind regards

Emma Loane
Surrey, England
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed a Friday and Saturday on a B&B basis with a friend. The hotel is well placed for a 15-20 minute walk to Princes Street and worked really well for our visit to the Edinburgh Tattoo - it was a comfortable and safe walk there and back.

Our room was on the top floor facing the street. We had the window open the first night and there was some noise from the street with people walking past. The second day we left the window open during the day and closed it before retiring and had a better night's sleep. I loved the grey/silver decor in our room and it's always welcome to have a kettle, tea and coffee on hand. The beds were very comfortable and there was even a Fringe programme listing every show.

We loved the breakfasts which were served until 11:00 the days we were there; it was nice not to have to rush in the mornings. The cooked food and homemade muesli were delicious and the serving staff were friendly and attentive. Only downside is that you may have to wait for a table if it's busy.

There's a really nice sitting room with an honesty bar where you just make a note of what you've had. They even had a stock of crisps and chocolate buttons if that's what you fancy.

The young man on the front desk was helpful and printed our boarding passes for our return flights. He also provided us with a map of the city when we first arrived and organised a cab for our trip back to the airport. Check-in and check-out were straight-forward, courteous and efficient. There was a bit of a queue for check-out as everyone decided to leave at the same time, so we waited in comfort in the lounge as we were in no rush.

This hotel is part of a chain that has hotels in Bristol, Dublin and Bath. Although our room wasn't cheap (we were there on a bank holiday weekend with the Tattoo and Fringe happening) I'd consider staying in a Brooks Hotel if I was visiting any of those cities. A truly pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Being so close to the city centre there may be noise from people making their way home after a night...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tizkay
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I checked in yesterday and I will stay for a week. Since I arrived i am continously nicely surprised by many details you do not expect for a 3* hotel. Personnel is very kind, nice and professional. The room is large enough, nicely decorated, a mixture of classic English with some modern touch, and they have a tea pot with complementary coffe, tea a delicious chocolate!
Breakfast is delicious, i had eggs Benedict that have been so good that I in trouble to decide if tomorrow I order the same or keep on trying the menu ( it all looks so good!). Also deserve to be mentioned their homemade muffins....yammmi!

Room Tip: Breakfast is worth, for 7£, you get a gourmet breakfast!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mimi V
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

4 day trip to Edinburgh, first stay in this hotel. Reception and breakfast staff friendly, effecient and helpful. Breakfast was of refreshingly good quality and freshly prepared. Double room quite small but bed comfortable. Only downside was size of bathroom - would be uncomfortable if guest was of more 'ample' proportions! Hotel is fairly close to Old Town and there is a handly bus stop just around the corner if not up to walk into Princes Street. Would recommend this hotel but be aware of bathroom size. (Realise nothing can be done about the size of the bathroom but suggest fitting hook to inside of door - would help with lack of space for toiletries, robe, etc. Think towels should be replaced at least every two days.) Overall a good clean small hotel, pleasantly different from the 'chain' hotels.

Room Tip: Room at back would be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple