“Charming Hotel”

Ranked #88 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
San Antonio, Texas
“Charming Hotel”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family and I stayed at Brooks Hotel for three nights in July. We loved it. It is a small hotel with so much charm. The staff are so nice and eager to make recommendations on things to do or places to eat. The rooms are small but comfortable and clean. The hotel is located a couple of blocks from the Haymarket train station, so it is away from the crowd but easily in walking distance to all of the old town sites. It is also much less expensive than hotels located in old town. There is parking available in a nearby parking garage for a fee. Make sure that you book parking in advance because they only have 4 parking spaces available. I highly recommend having breakfast here. We had a great stay and would come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank stoss19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Glad we chose this hotel for our recent stay in Edinburgh. Conveniently situated for all that the city has to offer. Friendly greeting from the receptionist who was only too eager to share his local knowledge. Room was spotless, bed comfy and attention to detail was second to none. Breakfast was one of the best we have had for some time, vast choice and service with a smile. Would definitely choose Brooks again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank strebor640
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is small and homely. The receptionist is charming and helpful. It is an informal atmosphere with a beautiful comfortable lounge and an honesty bar. Breakfast is fresh cooked with good ingredients and interesting options. Fresh fruit bowl as well as yoghurt and lovely cakes. Good coffee too and NOT from a horrid machine. The rooms are tastefully decorated and the bed firm and comfortable. It is in a quiet area and honestly 10 minutes from the Grassmarket. It is also 10 min walk to Princes Street. Buses and taxis available nearby. Taxis are not expensive. The airport bus or the tram is also not very far. I am an experienced traveller and would recommend Brooks for a relaxing and good value stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank janeysu
Scotland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just returned from a night in edinburgh. Wish it was longer! Hotel was great, fairly central location and fab breakfast. Nice walk to town centre or short walk to tram station at haymarket where an all day ticket is only £3.50. Excellent value for money and bathroom was lovely.

Room Tip: When we travelled there was a circus across the back which was noisy but didn't keep us awake.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Brooks Hotel for four nights in mid-July. I often book small hotels, guesthouses, or bed & breakfasts when traveling abroad because of the attention to detail and customer service at these establishments. As a foreigner, I really appreciate it when someone takes the small amount of additional time to tell me how to get into town (bus routes/train lines, etc.) and offers some good recommendations where to eat that serves local fare at reasonable prices. We did not experience this at Brooks Hotel. One morning we were headed into town to catch a tour to the highlands. When I asked what bus to take, the man at the desk told me I should walk since it would only be 10 minutes. Luckily, I had looked up information online and knew it would be longer than that (or we would have missed our tour bus for sure). When I pressed him further he admitted the cross street I was looking for would really be more like 25 minutes. He then told me to take a taxi. I understand taxis are the easiest way, but for two people on a tight budget they are not very economical. When I said this would not be the option for us, he said to take any bus, they all go to the city center. Really?? I am not from your country, not familiar with the layout of the city, or the bus routes and your advice is to just hop on one and hope for the best.

This same sort of scenario happened again when I asked the best way to get to the airport. The man (a different one from the one mentioned previously) said to take a taxi. Again, not economical. He was unable to offer an alternative and told me to wait for the morning guy to come in. Luckily, I did not have an early morning flight, so I could ask the morning gentleman. He was able to tell me the bus to take and where to catch it.

The last negative point I have about the hotel is the location. We usually book accommodations outside of the city center intentionally. We are both light sleepers and like being in a quieter part of town. We don't mind walking, we are both in EXCELLENT shape (work out vigorously 6 days a week). I only say this as a precursor to my next statement. This hotel was a WALK to the city center (approx. 30 minutes to the Royal Mile)…uphill. It was exhausting. It would not have been so bad if we would have figured out the bus system a little sooner, but again we rely on the staff to help out with that, and they were not offering any assistance - gave us a map, circled the hotel's location, and that was it. Never mentioned the bus stop less than one block away or which lines would take us into town (I guess they just assumed a foreigner who had never been to their country would just instinctually know).

The hotel has lots of character (although it is not air-conditioned, and the floors were seriously tilted in the room).

I will end on a few positives: breakfast was great (the french toast especially), it had an elevator, and it was close to Haymarket Station for those coming in by train.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our stay at Brooks in Edinburgh was great. Very friendly and helpful staf, andthe breakfast was very fine. The location of the hotel is very central .. only 10 minutes walk up to the Royal mile. We really recomend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

After a long tiring day at the CW Games we arrived early evening and collapsed into a very comfy bed with lovely plump pillows. Room spotless, good size and small but excellent bathroom.
Breakfast was a joy, wide selection of cereal, fruits and juices with a cooked breakfast of your choice. Quick service and off to the games for another exciting day.
Excellent location to city centre and short stroll from trams servicing airport.
Thanks to Scottish TB for recommendation.

Room Tip: 5 -10 minute walk from tram stop to and from airport