“Only for short stays”

Ranked #86 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Madrid, Spain
“Only for short stays”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I've stayed for six nights at this hotel and I must say that I had a mistaken idea of what is a "triple bedroom". It was a very small room for two adults and a child, with a tiny bathroom. We had a double bed, which was fine, but the day we arrived I complained about the extra bed, because it was so old that the slats of the base had been "rebuilt" and the mattress was terrible, too. The receptionist answered that he would try to solve the problem, but he added that this kind of extra beds "were for children". Finally, they didn't find a solution.

With regards to cleaning, it seems that they only clean when the guests are arriving. Our wastepaper basket was emptied everyday and the beds made, but we had the same towels for the entire week and the floor did not seemed to be cleaned. The day before leaving, we had to ask for toilet paper to the receptionist.

I would't be fair if I didn't add any positive comments, so I agree with the general opinion about breakfasts, as they were great and the staff in charge of them, too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My stay was for business and close to the EICC. As other reviewers say, it's easy to reach from the airport as both tram and bus stop at Haymarket which is 5min walk away. The room was comfortable, quiet and clean. Breakfast was wonderful but unfortunately starts at 7:30am so not able to have breakfast often due to early morning meetings. Service was always with a smile and the lounge is comfortable with an honesty bar. Highly recommended place to stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PenguinRock
surrey
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed for the Fringe for 2 nights and couldn't fault the place or the staff. It's only a 10 minute walk from the centre so no problem. Our room was great as was the the brekkie which set us up for the day. Try the eggs Hollandaise and the full Scottish, lovely granola shots, fruit, muffins etc. We had the lot! Cheers chef on his own and all the staff with a full house!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Nice enough boutique hotel. Off site parking a bit pricey as they charge you to endorse your ticket considering the price of the hotel room there is no mention of this charge until you come to move your car. Also room far too hot and an 8 tog quilt in August?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Brooks in July for 5 nights firstly with a friend then a later part of my stay with my sister and 3 year old nephew , the hotel worked for both parts of my stay , the breakfast was scummy , honesty bar worked brilliantly when my friends flight was delayed on arrival was catch up over a glass of wine in a comfortable environment . The room had been arranged with a large king size bed and put up ideal for my nephew plenty of room for the three of us . The hotels located perfectly for a 5 minute walk to haymarket station or 15 minutes into princess street the staff were friendly and helpful . I'd definitely stay again be it business or pleasure .

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We chose this hotel because its ratings were good and it was not expensive. Staff were friendly, we got a reasonable room for the price, and breakfast was good. It was a short walking distance from Glassmarket where we dined, and which had a great vibe because of the Festival. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I traveled to Edinburgh this summer and made a reservation at the Brooks Hotel based on other reviews of the property; I was not disappointed. This is a small property with a more personal feeling as opposed to some of the larger chain hotels. If you enjoy this type of experience the Brooks is the place for you.

The front desk staff, especially Emma and Emmanuel, are particularly helpful and always willing to answer questions. My husband and I quickly discovered that the center of the old town is only a short distance away. On the first day we arrived we were early and had to wait for our room, so Emma at the front desk advised us to walk to the Grassmarket and grab a bite to eat. We had a nice lunch at the Fiddler's Arms and found our room ready when we returned. When I say the center of town is not far, I mean about a ten minute walk. If you are a walker this spot is perfect.

As an additional bonus, close to the hotel is a grocery store where you can buy water and small items like fruit or toiletries. It is very convenient. Also, look for the walk on the Union Canal if you enjoy an early morning walk as I do. The room we had was basic but perfect for our needs. We found it to be clean and well maintained. The only reason I gave the hotel four stars instead of five was due to the somewhat shabby condition of the hotel's guest sitting area. It was nice that it was provided, with an honor bar, but I heard others complain about the furniture which was falling apart. These things do not ruin an experience for me, but I think for others this is disturbing. As a plus, off the sitting area is a patio and if the weather is good you can sit outside, which I enjoyed.

Overall, the Brooks Hotel is a great value with a wonderful staff. I would return there and will probably try other Brooks properties in the UK.

Room Tip: The first floor is a little noisy when you are on the street side.