“'Value' Boutique Hotel”

Brooks Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #85 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel for three nights.

The location does not really match what you would expect it to be with the historical stone building. It is located within a regeneration zone nestled along with new apartment blocks (upmarket ones) and empty land. Turing right at the end of the road and after a short walk there is a retail park with a cinema and pizza hut etc.. Turn left into Edinburgh centre which takes about 20 mins and again through commercial zones, with some nice coffee shops on the way though.

The hotel is based on a boutique style, the bedrooms were well furnished, with a really good en-suite and heavy curtains. Some minor issues such as WC roll holder, a new window catch and blinds for the windows would have finished it off nicely. We were on the front and even through the window was closed it did not keep out the noise out of the busy side road and waiting taxis. The corridor carpets looked dirty and the reception desk/area needs improvement but the lounge and breakfast areas was really nice. The breakfast was very good and the staff were attentive and efficient.

Initially i though it was quite expensive and I perhaps expected too much. After consideration of all the factors i think it is a really good hotel, but don't expect a true Boutique hotel for this money, but it could be.

Room Tip: Rear rooms away from road

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel close to the city centre. Room was compact but clean. Very warm welcome from the receptionist. Didn't have breakfast but did enjoy the honesty bar. highly recommend hotel and would visit again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My mum and my sister and I stayed in a triple room which had two single beds and one extra bed in August.The beds were so comfortable,spotless.We were worried about street noises outside because the windows were not double glazed,but it wasn't bad.We were really impressed with breakfast!Everything was so perfect.We'll come back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I just want to say a big thank you to all the staff at brooks ,Emanuele was just brilliant when it came to changing the arrangements for me. As a surprise for my mum they had managed to get my friend in the same room, the surprise was just great!! and with prior warning they were able to accommodate my friend at breakfast time (she has coeliacs disease) the breakfast is to die for and is cooked fresh to order, the homemade muffins are just delicious! This was my second visit and it was just as good as last year. I will definitely be back and will tell everyone about it. you all do a fantastic job, keep up the good work. I reviewed this hotel last year to tell everyone about the great décor, facilities, location etc.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We ended our Scottish holiday in Edinburgh, for 2 days, and stayed here. This hotel is within walking distance from the old and new centre.
The interior feels pretty new, and clean. The bathroom/shower is good, but I missed an extra shelf or a some hooks, to put stuff.
The bed was quite huge and comfortable, which was nice and a big plus. The first night we slept like a dream. However, the second night we were rudely awoken by loud cabdrivers in the front of the hotel at 6.30AM, who came to pick up guests.
Also the hotel itself is quite noisy, due to lacking good isolation or thin walls, so you hear doors slamming very loud, also from personnel, which I think is pretty irritating.
Because I really like my morning sleep, I deduct 2 points.
Make sure, if you stay here, not to get a front-side room.
Downstairs they have a lounge room with couches, and a self-serving bar, where you can get your own drinks, be it cold, beer or beverages, or a choice of wine and several whiskeys, which I personally thought was nice.

Room Tip: Don't get a front-side room, you'll hear the street.
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a small boutique type of place, a cross between an hotel and a B&B. Clean, helpful staff and all very welcoming. The room was compact but had all we needed. The honesty bar in the lounge worked well and we welcomed a "night cap". On our return from the Tattoo.
Defiantly will stay here on future visits to Edinburgh. The previous comments regarding the breakfast are all true.
Only one thing that would be a nice addition would be the facility to have a Tea or Coffee in the lounge area rather than sitting in your room, this would have been great for us as a family group on 8 in 3 rooms.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We are just back from a 2 night trip to the Edinburgh Festival with friends. The rooms were spacious and spotless. The beds were enormous and extremely comfortable. We enjoyed a couple of drinks in the lounge from the honesty bar with our friends after our first day out. There is also an outside terrace with seating.

The breakfast is superb. We have stayed at a few hotels over the years and I have to say it is the best breakfast we have ever had! Cooked fresh to order, none of the "chain style" food ie mushrooms sitting in water, bacon broiling in juice, etc. Lovely yoghurt and fruit shots, fresh muffins (various flavours), etc. They will even cook eggs benedict or toast and soldiers!

The staff too were very friendly.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we have gone and booked again for next year!

Room Tip: We booked the largest rooms. There was a bit of noise from the doors banging but I suppose you can...