“Comfortable and Friendly”

Kildonan Lodge Hotel
Ranked #11 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We have stayed here regularly and we keep coming back for the comfortable rooms and friendly welcome. The pleasant residents' lounge and excellent breakfast are added bonuses. And don't be put off by the distance from the city centre, it's actually easier to get on the buses slightly further out and it doesn't take long to travel in. Within its price bracker this must be one of the best value hotels in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is a very nice hotel with a country house feel about it,it is good value for money and the food may be limited but of an exellent quality, eating in a relaxed warm dining room.Loved the cosy lounge and little help yourself courtesy bar.The staff here really go the extra mile and are a credit to the owners.If I have to have a niggle is that the windows in the bedroom did not open and I would say it could get a bit hot in the summer,and a chain or do not disturb sign would have been welcome!Maybe a face lift on the funishings in my room would be an idea in the not to distance future.
The position of this hotel is great for the city,walk (as I did) or get the bus, this service is the best I have known the buses are very frequent and cheap £1.40 to get into the city,or around £3.20 for a day ticket that lets you go further afield in the city or pop out to eat in the evening.
I arrived with my partner who stayed one night and then left for an appointment for a couple of days I felt safe on my own here so could recommend this hotel if you are visiting Edinburgh alone.Over all this hotel met my expectations and more.

Room Tip: Have the best room you can get.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rosalyn B
Reviewed 5 November 2012

With a warm welcome aided by the complimentary sherry this hotel offers the perfect base for an Edinburgh city break Situated on the main bus route and only 10 min to the city centre. Bonus was being able to park the car for free in the hotel car park for the whole stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and myself spent three nights at Kildonen Lodge Hotel with a group of friends in September. We found the hotel through recommendations in TripAdvisor.

We really enjoyed our stay, but we also had some minor bumps on the road regarding our visit.

The hotel is located about 30 minutes from the Edinburgh Airport and the ride (for 8 people) cost us approximately 30 pounds. The hotel staff kindly recommended a taxi service (Capitol Cars) and we were pleased with their service.

Kildonen Lodge itself consists of two buildings and we stayed on the newer one in the back. Our rooms were cozy, clean and quiet. However, some of us had problems with bathroom doors not closing, toilets not working properly or heating not functioning in a more "Scandinavian accuracy", but the general atmosphere was very pleasant.

The wireless interenet did not work during most of our stay (guests in both houses noticed this) and to my disappointment I was given wrong information regarding availability of open restaurants due our late arrival (after 22:00 hrs). I specifically expressed my concern over this, and the information that was delivered to us by the hotel staff was incorrect.

But, these are minor issues.

The hotel itself is literally within a walking distance from the downtown Edinburgh (approximately 45 minutes of pleasant city walk), plenty of buses go right by the hotel which all give you a great and easy access to the city - but the buses do not give you a change back, so you need to have coins available. There are also taxis available by calling or just hailing one from the street. We did both and had no problems getting rides.

The atmosphere at the Kildonen Lodge is very relaxed, the breakfast (included) is a nice one and the staff do make their best to ensure that you enjoy the morning.

Also, the "Honesty Bar" in the main building is great. Self-service and payment system that relies upon your honesty. No personnel at the bar.

In the nearby blocks, there are number of pubs and restaurants (easy 10 minutes walk), which we used and enjoyed greatly. Cafe Cassis was the absolute top, another review on the way soon.

Our group enjoyed the stay, we also enjoyed the walks into and from the downtown, rooms were pleasant and the staff were helpful. From my perspective the stay was refreshing compared to the global hotel chains I usually end up using.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Totti K
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I had another lovely stay at the lodge, the hotel staff are friendly and the sherry is lovely. Best of all they let my partner stay for free. One small draw back was how long it took me to log onto the wifi (there are three different ones you can use) - but we figured it out in the end. Will definitely be back next year- thanks

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I stayed here as part of a large group conference that used most of the rooms in this hotel at various points during the conference. I have never met such friendly staff in a hotel and everyone was so accommodating and generous with their time and advice. Beautiful, beautiful rooms that I will never forget - and I had the pleasure of staying in two different rooms of theirs, both truly stunning and most enjoyable. The staff dealt with our large group size efficiently and ensured that everyone had the best stay possible. With direct buses that stop just across the road from the hotel door and enough comfort inside the hotel to never need to leave, this stay was perfect. I'll be coming back to this hotel if ever I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Room was quiet and quaint and extremely well situated for easy access to points of interest in Edinburgh. Public areas were relaxing and well maintained. The staff were courteous, efficient and always very aware of the needs of the Guest. We loved this hotel. I would recommend it highly and can only praise the owners/management for doing such a fine job.

Room Tip: Be ready for some stairs, or ask for a low floor. We did not mind the exercise, but a few flights ar...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family