“Great location and very comfortable”

The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh
Ranked #69 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Great location and very comfortable”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We had great difficulty making a reservation in Edinburgh as it was the Bank holiday and Edinburgh Marathon weekend, and finally secured The Roxburgh, in a beautiful Georgian Square , two minutes from Princes Street. The team at Reception are efficient , friendly and helpful . The hotel is a mixture of traditional scottish and modern , with an atrium and large pool,well equipped gym,dance space and a spa. Our room was large and sumptuous overlooking George Street, with a super king bed with best quality linen, towels,robes and toiletries. The location is great for walking, with buses ready to hand. The age of the building means you have the creak of wooden floorboards and a bit of street noise, but this added to the charm. I would be very happy to return to this lovely old hotel.

1 Thank Picnicker
MV26Edinburgh, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Picnicker,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit. It gives us all great pleasure to read such kind comments and genuinely makes all of the team here at the Hotel feel happy to know we can make such a difference to our guests visit to Edinburgh. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,

Marcello Ventisei,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Finnish first
Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I have to be fair and say the hotel had just reopened after a refit and rebranding however there were far too many "issues" which should not have arisen. TV and telephone not working, insufficient towels and staff poorly trained to resolve the problems. Initially I did feel sorry for the staff however I had paid the going rate and we were not receiving the proper service. Having to walk to reception "twice" just to ask for more towels is a wee bit much.
Hopefully the hotel management can improve their service quality but until I have this confirmed we will not be returning.

1 Thank kincorth
Dear kincorth,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Should you wish to discuss the issues further please do contact us directly here at the hotel on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com and we will be more than happy to discuss your issues in detail. I would very much like to restore your faith in the hotel and can assure you that your experiences are not at the level of service we aspire to deliver to our guets here at the Hotel.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence and welcome you back to the Hotel again on your next visit to Edinburgh.

West Midlands
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We booked a two night stay at the Roxburghe six months ago with Macdonald hotels. We booked a dinner bed and breakfast package with pre-paid wine with dinner. Our stay at the Roxburghe was part of a12 day trip to Scotland which my wife had never visited before. I had specifically negotiated when I booked that we would have a room with a view of Edinburgh Castle.
Things got badly fouled up - we didn't get the Castle view room I'd booked and we didn't get a word of explanation as to why. We were given a suite on the Charlotte Square side of the hotel which was a beautiful room but which was plagued by traffic noise by day and night due to the absence of secondary double glazing. It definitely did not have the view of Edinburgh Castle which I had contracted and paid for six months in advance.
At check-in it emerged that our dinner bed and breakfast package was only showing on "the computer" as bed and breakfast. Fortunately I had a copy of the confirmation email from Macdonald Hotels with me, I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't.
So we didn't exactly get off to a flying start and my faith in Crowne Plaza hotels ability to provide a positive experience got off to a very shaky start.
The hotel restaurant was like the curate's egg - good in parts. On our first night the fish risotto was served in dishes so hot that the rice carried on cooking to the point of drying out. On our second night the braised beef cheek we both had was wonderfully tender but lacked taste. The strangest thing though was at breakfast on the second morning when my slice of black pudding was so hard you could have used it as a slate coaster. Yet this was the kitchen which also produced super porridge, lovely poached eggs and gorgeous smoked haddock. The inconsistency was infuriating and disappointing in equal measure.
At check out the settlement bill was incorrect and included a charge for a bottle of wine which was included in our prepaid package! It got sorted but that really isn't the point.
My wife had a facial in the hotel which was very good.
The best thing about the Roxburghe was the staff. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Special mention must go to Tiago on reception who tried to unpick the booking details (but couldn't give us the Castle view room) and the extraordinary Paul on concierge services who provided valet parking, luggage moving, taxi booking and even traffic directions with grace, efficiency and style.
So the Roxburghe pleased and disappointed in equal measure and with a total bill for two nights of over £700 I would take some persuading to stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on Charlotte Square itself as they are very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
MV26Edinburgh, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Happywanderer93,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe, I am sorry to hear of you frustrations you encountered during your stay with us. Should you wish to discuss the issues further please do contact us directly here at the hotel on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com and we will be more than happy to discuss your issues in detail.

Scotland
Reviewed 24 May 2013

A lovely, old fashioned hotel - now in the Crowne Plaza group - having been in the Macdonald chain till a few weeks ago. Consequently, findig it onthe internet - and using an old Macdonald's voucher in the place, proved a bit problematic. Once you arrive in Scotland's capital, it's also not that easy to find - unless you've looked it up in a map beforehand. It is very central but there is nothing on the building, except a tiny, brass plaque right at the front door, to indicate that it is the Crowne Plaza - or The Roxboroughe - as it has been for many years.
It's positioned about halfway between Waverley and Haymarket station so arriving by train, as we did, is a bit of a walk. Rooms were comfortable- decor looked new. Main areas were freshly painted- but maybe a bit dark! Afternoon tea was meant to be a highlight but a bit of a disappointment. It was nice enough - but not very exciting: egg, ham and tuna sandwiches; fresh scones, odd cake selection - I've never had a fruit loaf with cream before! A very small pot of clotted cream arrived for 4 scones so we asked for more. 15 minutes later a jug of fresh cream arrived - too late as the scones had been consumed! Staff were attentive but I did wonder about the language skills of some. The spa area was fine- but looked a bit faded in places. A nice place though. I shall go again.

Room Tip: Nice views of Charlotte Square from rooms facing west.
1 Thank NB2204
Dear NB2204,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, we genuinely appreciate all guest feedback both positive and constructive. I have spoken with our kitchen team regarding your comments on afternoon tea and Chef has carried out a review of the ofering as a result of your constructive feedback. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,

Cheadle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Massive confusion as name changed overnight from Macdonald to Crowne Plaza as were looking for Roxburghe, which meant we were driving around for 45 mins! However, the staff did their utmost to make up for it by offering us drinks on the house whilst we were booking in, gave us free access to the newly refurbished lounge. Very central, great standard and professional staff. Would stay here again and again!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Bowdonalvi,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit. We are very proud and excited about becoming a Crowne Plaza hotel ans we very much look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Edinburgh.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Great location around the corner from Rose Street. Very minor niggles with papers not being delivered, room hadn't been serviced at 4pm when I returned but nothing to spoil the trip overall. Special thanks to the lady who looks after the executive lounge. It is worth the upgrade to relax with a drink & canapes before dinner,

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
MV26Edinburgh, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear lovesfinefood62 ,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, we genuinely appreciate all guest feedback both positive and constructive. I must apologise for the servicing of the room and overlooking the newspapers and I have addressed both issues with the relevant departments. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time in our Club lounge, we are very proud of the facility and your comments have ben echoed may times in recent weeks since the introduction of the space to the Hotel. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed here with friends and was very happy with the hotel. Good value for money for it being Edinburgh and for the location. The location is excellent, it was just around the corner from Tigerlilley where we had a meal and drinks. The hotel was tastefully decorated, the room was large and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast selection was excellent but we felt the drinks were overpriced in the bar. The service was excellent and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed use of the pool and spa area. My only complaint would be having to get out of bed early in the morning to go outside in the snow when then fire alarm went off but that is nobody's fault. Would definitely stay here again when staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
MV26Edinburgh, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Clair h,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit. It gives us all great pleasure to read such kind comments and genuinely makes all of the team here at the Hotel feel happy to know we can make such a difference to our guests visit to Edinburgh. We are undertaking a full refurbishment of our restaurant and bar this year which will add to our continued development and investment in the Hotel to maintain and enhance our offering to our guests. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,