“Should have stayed here” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh

The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh
Ranked #69 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
“Should have stayed here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in December 2012 really great hotel and facilities. Fantastic location for castle, shopping, food and drinks.
Wonderful service, great breakfast and fantastic service.

Opted to stay elsewhere this December which was a mistake, one of those times where you make a decision then regret it, next time will certainly go with gut feeling and stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Andy E,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to see that you remember so fondly your previous visit to us last year and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again next December.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

On the corner of George Street as well as a stone throw away from the main Edinburgh shopping front, this is a great location for people wanting to explore the City.

Staff are friendly, service is good. For the price, you could do much worse. Rooms are clean and comfy. There is also a pool and gym which, although a little crowded and in the basement, it is better than most places I've stayed in Edinburgh for the price bracket.

The down side to the location is the noise. I've stayed a few times and if your room over looks George Street the don't expect to get any sleep before 1am. I also wasn't impressed with the restaurant throwing a Xmas party with music blaring until after midnight.
Apart from that, it's not a bad place

Room Tip: Avoid a room overlooking George Street
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Googgsy

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you find us to be ideal for your needs while in Edinburgh. While we area city centre hotel we do have a selection of 'Quiet rooms' where external street noise is limited through location and positioning of the rooms. Should you be returning please do request one of these rooms and out team will be delighted to allocate accordingly for your. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Really enjoyed my stay! Lovely friendly staff, smart decor and great location. It is a nice mix of the modern and then original features that come with a Georgian building. The swimming pool is a nice touch with sauna steam. Breakfast was nice and generous, as was the lunch we had there. Loved Edinburgh and have recommended this hotel to friends visiting.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear cassie19851985

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you were able to take advantage of our leisure facilities such as the Spa and Steam room.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the near future to the hotel for another stay with us.

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

My wife and I recently attended a works party night held in this hotel. The party night was well organised with surprisingly good food for this sort of event.
The room we were given was, sadly, far below an acceptable standard - clean with a comfy bed but, unless you are vertically challenged do not accept room 312! The room is stuck up in the eaves with two skylights which were too dirty too see out of which gave a very claustrophobic feel to the room; the heating did not work; you were in great danger of hitting your head when attempting to get anything out of the wardrobe - all in all not a great experience.
Breakfast was okay when we eventually got it but the toast was not toasted and was just some slightly heated soggy bread - they did take it back and replaced it with proper toast. Some friends of ours on a different table could have died of hunger as it took nearly an hour for them to actually get their breakfast - we overhead one of the waitresses telling the person who was supposed to be in charge of the dining room about this poor service but instead of sorting it out he simply told his member of staff to 'tell the kitchen to get a move on'!
When I complained about my room to the manager I was given a 50% discount without any argument - I wonder, are they used to complaints regarding this room?
All in all not a great stay which is a shame because the hotel does have a lot going for it in terms of location and the lovely building that it is in - a bit more effort could make this a place we would look forward to going back to but not to room 312!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DonHendersonScotland
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear DonHendersonScotland,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to have the opportunity to reply directly to yourself regarding your issues. If you could please contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com I will reply on receipt of your email.

france
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Upon arrival in the evening there was a big party in the hotel with a lot of noise. I asked for a quiet room which they promised but not true! We were above the party.
Room was not very nice but everything there, flat screen included! Bathroom however had a washbassin for children. When we complained the next morning staying 3 nights nothing else was offered. Careless attitude about more things. The queue for breakfast very impressive! It took agnes.
Elevator not working for 2 days and we were on the second floor! A lot of climbing for seniors.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room for a 3 night stay with washbassin 30 inches (60cm.) in the bathroom We had...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FranceMartine
Dear FranceMartine

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. The issues you have mentioned are concerning and I would like to respond directly to you and in detail. If you could contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe I will reply on receipt.

General manager
falkirk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Took my mum for afternoon tea with glass of champagne this normally cost £50 for two but they were doing a deal for £29.95.
Taken to lounge which was very dark and dreary and shown to a table.
Prosecco was served not Champagne then food arrived 6 finger sandwiches which were a bit dried up and tasteless , scones were nice ,selection of cakes macaroon and tart all very dry and covered in icing sugar pot of tea was good and we were asked if we wanted a refill.
After being to the Dome the past two years which was lovely the Roxburghe was very disappointing glad I never paid £50 for this!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear avrilshols

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea with us. I would very much like to respond directly to you regarding your experience. If you could contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe I will reply on receipt. I look forward to receiving your email.

Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed here with my friend for couple of days christmas shopping. beautiful building and positioned perfectly for the bars and restaurants and of course the shops! The staff both on front desk, restaurant and the bar are absolutely delightful! so welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sharon M,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and I do hope you managed to get all of the present your were looking for on your shopping trip.