“Room with castle view”

Ranked #66 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Sanur, Indonesia
“Room with castle view”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stay there for one night, location is perfect, in central of Edinburgh, walking distance to most of tourist attractions. A minute walk to shopping streets, restaurants, bars, coffee shops.

Stay in a room with a view to the Castle, it was just beautiful. Rooms is not new, but very well maintained, and consider spacious, including the bath room.

The lift is a bit small, slow, and doors seems open on the different side once we reach our floor, a bit strange but it is fine. I found only one lift available to get to my room in my hotel wing.

We recommend to stay here.

The lobby is nice and classic.

Room Tip: Whenever available, ask for room with castle view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Hanafi S,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I do hope that should you be returning to Scotland and Edinburgh that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel.

Warm wishes and kind regards

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Finnish first
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I attended a party night on the 22nd of December. After paying £30 for my night out I was greeted with an ok meal but very poor drinks service. They were very slow being our drinks to us and even took my half full glass of Prosecco whilst I was on the dance floor. After arguing with the bar tender she eventually gave me a new drink. At £6 a glass that is the least they could of done! Not even an apology!

I also placed my coat and suitcase in the cloakroom and payed £1 per item for the service. Obviously as I had paid for a service I assumed that my belongings would be safe, how wrong was I! My coat had been stolen or "misplaced" as the staff are now trying to tell me. I have checked the contents of my suitcase which was thankfully still there at the end of the night and my brand new GHD straighteners are also missing! I'm totally appalled and unimpressed with this. Especially as the hotel are making me out to be a liar! I handed them my ticket and was told I would get a call back and am still waiting!

This is unacceptable and I spent a lot of Money that night the least I should of got was an apology but all I got was branded a liar! Looking at the other reviews on here I'm not the only one who has been affected!

Again I am a travel agent so will not be sending any of my customers to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Sarah L
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Sarah L,

Thank you for your feedback. I hope that we have managed to deal with the issue to your satisfaction. If not please do contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com

Kind regards

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Went to a party night here last night. Food was excellent, Dj good but drinks service very slow. Evening was ruined as went to collect our belongings at the end of the night and all our stuff missing or stolen. Coats shoes and scarfs all gone. I'm a travel agent by trade and will not be booking anyone to this hotel for them to get their belongings stolen! Duty manager made out that "we were at it and it couldn't have happened". Not interested in our complaint and dampened our whole night. We will never go back. Theifs!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Claire M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Claire M,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

Ferdinand G.
Auchterhouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Hotel is very conveniently located for Edinburgh city centre, but that's where the positives ended.

Stood for 15 mins at reception waiting to get checked-in whilst receptionist chatted to other guests. Member of staff came out of office behind the desk and walked right past me with the comment 'shouldn't be long'. Once I finally got checked-in I headed for my room on the third floor only to discover was out of order. Stairs are a narrow spiral and not easy when carrying two bags.

Room overlooked the corner of Charlotte Square and George Street and was VERY warm. Had to open the windows and turn off the radiators before I passed out. Bathroom was very small with very little pressure in the handbasin taps.

Returning from dinner outside the hotel I was immediately struck by the noise outside the hotel - even after closing the windows (poor soundproofing) - and later inside the hotel. By 3am I still had not got to sleep…two hours after I did fire alarm went off and had to evacuate. Talking to colleagues who have used this hotel in the past this is not an unusual occurrence and faulty sensors have been mentioned. Got back in after fire brigade confirmed another false alarm and it was time to shower and checkout.

No apology at checkout or offer of compensation. Later I filled out an online survey for m stay via my membership of the IHG Rewards Club and asked that the hotel contact me. Received an email two days later from the Hotel Operations Manager, no offer of compensation for a very uncomfortable night.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a quiet room. Only discovered there was such a thing after complaining via on...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cuillin2010
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear cuillin2010,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are truly sorry for the conditions you experienced during your stay. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Connie D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

A very nice location and building, but a shoddy hotel

Service very slow. Took ages to get checked in and out.. There were sufficient people around ,but it was unclear what they were doing.
I had a very noisy room, right above the bar that made it impossible to sleep until it closed at 2pm
Most lights in the room didn't work.
We ordered a phone conference facility before our meeting ,but it arrived too late, and they couldn't get it to work.
when I returned in the evening, they closed the passage to my room and when asked i was told to take a complext detour because they were cleaning the restaurant.
Coffee is ( among) the worst i ever had
Very slippery shower area.( and rightfully so, there were warnings about that..... Seems to make more sense to solve the issue rather than waring the people)
All public areas are very messy. All kind of stuff lying around....
Very limited breakfast with poor service.

Etc.

Seems like operations needs a serious overhaul.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear coelewij,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to note that you liked the location and structure of our hotel. The Crowne Plaza Edinburgh The Roxburghe is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It is very regrettable to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay with us in particular with our guest services, variety of food at breakfast and the conditions of your room. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Your comments are important to the success of our organization. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights early in December. We were lucky to receive a room upgrade, rooms were big, comfortable and very well appointed. Breakfast 1st class, grill was bring used for Christmas party night which at first put us off however, staff went out of there way to ensure we had all we needed and good was really good. Party night was super too. Would return to this hotel in a minute. Book it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank TURKEYTRAVELLER_12
Dear TURKEYTRAVEL,

Thank you for our review of the Roxburghe Hotel and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and the festive party night that you attended. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon to the hotel and perhaps even next Christmas for another party night.

Warm wishes and kind regards

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in December with almost a years worth of points. My Husband has been a platinum member for years. The location is good and the staff friendly and keen to help. The concierge is outstanding! The room was pleasant and clean. We were disturbed at night from the loud music and merriment downstairs, one night at 1am I could hear a man on a microphone bellowing away.This hotel seems to place its value in the parties that are held there. One night we couldn't access the executive lounge as it had been used as a private function room for one of its parties. At other times the room was unmanned and empty of little else other than tea and coffee.I think they need to decide if they are going to offer this facility to its guests or not as its rather half hearted.We have been fortunate to stay in many hotels over the world and enjoy executive club access and this was worst for drinks and snacks. I would have been furious if I had paid for the executive room, In many ways we did though as my Husband travels all years and gives his loyalty to the IHG group where ever possible.I can say though that the breakfast was wonderful and we were grateful for a quiet room in which to eat it.Its a very busy hotel with a huge amount of parties going on.I would also add it seems rather understaffed . I would not necessarily stay here unless the price was good other than with points. if you stay here it will be an ok experience but little more I think despite the efforts of staff members

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear littlecottage1972,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe. I am sorry that you did not have the experience that you were hoping for and I would very much like the opportunity to reply in more detail to your issues, If you would be able to contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com with the subject ' littlecottage1972 trip advisor' I will reply on receipt and further discuss your issues.

Warm wishes and Kind regards