“A good hotel in many ways” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh

The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh
Ranked #67 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Essex
“A good hotel in many ways”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel in December as part of a group on our Christmas party weekend. The hotel was extremely well located and only a half an hour transfer from the airport.

Good points

Comfy bed, very friendly staff, efficient bar service, fabulous breakfast.

Less good points

Can only say the room was very small and bathroom even smaller but we had a nice view out over the square and we didn't suffer from early morning delivery noise like others in our group. Some of the interiors could really do with a makeover - the lifts for example and some of the basement toilet areas. However, the main bar area, reception, breakfast room etc were all very nicely decorated. Late at night the hotel did become rather rowdy and there were even a few punches thrown on the Saturday night - not really what we were expecting!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and the great location and very nice staff made up for any downsides.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear SusieJM,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am glad to see that you had such an enjoyable stay over Christmas you found our location so suitable for your visit. we have an incredibly successful festive party season at the hotel and it can at times increase noise on busy weekends, however for the vast majority of the time all in the very best of spirits. I do hope you have the chance to return to the hotel again, perhaps next time for a summer visit to the city.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My partner and I grabbed a bargain of a weekend at the Roxburghe (from BA, inc flights) for a romantic getaway and couldn't have been happier. Upgraded to a spectacular oval shaped room (241), it was the perfect start to our break. The staff are remarkably friendly and helpful, particularly those serving us in the club lounge.

Great breakfasts, and lovely canapes and drinks early evening set us up foodwise, and the room, with its high ceilings and comfortable bed provided the perfect space to rest and recover in.

Situated right in the heart of Edinburgh, within walking distance of all the major attractions, shops, views and a host of lovely restaurants, we were delighted with just about every element of our stay.

The only improvements I could suggest would be the water pressure for the shower (it was fine, but not great) and maybe another mirror or two - the only one was in the bathroom over the washbasin - could have done with a full length one somewhere.

Otherwise, wonderful in every way!

1 Thank David W
Dear David W,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that room 241 was so suitable for you, it is one of our many feature rooms in the hotel and a real example of our historic building and its character. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Roxburghe hotel again should you be visiting the city again.

Sedgefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed in the Roxburghe for 3 nights. On the way from Waverley the taxi driver told us we were in for a treat as we had "booked a great hotel". Turns out he was right. The staff couldn't have been more attentive when booking in. The staff were polite, pleasant and efficient and spoke to us in a personable way, not as if they were reciting rote learned pleasantries from the corporate handbook - a refreshing change. Our room was spacious, spotless and well appointed. Special thanks to concierges Les & Jack who couldn't have been more affable and helpful. Thanks to all concerned. I'm sure we'll be back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Mack5558,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much with us and that Jack and Les looked after you throughout your visit. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I went to Edinburgh for 3 nights (18th- 21st February) for special occasion and stayed at The Roxburghe.
From our arrival, our experience was excellent. We managed to locate the under-ground car park without assistance (it is behind the hotel) and were met by Jack, who transported our bags to our room, and assured us that he would park the car for us. Upon entering the hotel (via the car park link) we were met by Gavin (the concierge) who took us to the Club Lounge. He had checked us in already (as a Platinum Elite member I am sure although he didn’t ever say this was why) and gave us the keys to our room. We were offered a drink as a welcome and given a brief introduction about the hotel, the Club Lounge and Edinburgh. Throughout our stay, Gavin ensured we received the same level of personal service each day; we felt like ‘movie stars’!
Our room was fabulous: spacious and well-designed with a large balcony (perhaps not used much in February but lovely never the less). Breakfast was fantastic, as were drinks and canapés in the evening. Special thanks to Victoria and Maria (both wonderful staff). The atmosphere in the Club Lounge meant we chatted to other guests and shared tales of our days and planned excursions. Crowne Plaza The Roxburghe is one of the best hotels in the IHG group that we’ve stayed in. The hotel building itself is full of character and the staff are wonderful characters too (who all ensured a perfect break). Thank you for a great stay and fond memories

1 Thank DeanT957
Dear DeanT957,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much with us. As we are a relatively new Crowne Plaza we are delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My daughter and I went to the Roxburghe on Thursday 20th February 2014, for a mini pamper day, and we both were so happy with our choice. On entering the Spa the young girl was most helpful in directing us to our private room for the day. When we entered the room, awaiting us were our Robes, and Slippers, along with tea, coffee, water and juice of our choice. The atmosphere was so relaxing. We had access to the swimming, gym, and steam room facilities all day, and the body massages we both had were extremely good and relaxing. We had lunch included in our mini pamper day, with a choice of starter and main, and the food was delicious. I must conclude by adding that all the staff were wonderful on the day, and both my daughter and I plan to return with my other daughter for Mother's Day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Pamela T,

Thank you for your review of the spa day you recently enjoyed at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am delighted to read that you will be back again for Mother's Day. We very much look forward to being able to pamper your other daughter just as much.

Athy, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed in the Crown Plaza Roxburghe hotel for a two night stay. The hotel is situated in a lovely location and is ideal for sight seeing. The bedroom was spotlessly clean with a nice comfortable bed. The staff were all very friendly and couldnt do enough to make our stay more enjoyable. The breakfast was lovely with something to suit everyone. The staff were very nice and friendly serving everyone with a smile.We also used the leisure facilities which are free to guests .Here again we were met with a smile and a nice fluffy towel. We would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again. Thank You to all the staff.

Michael and Theresa Aldridge . Athy. Co Kildare. Ireland.

Room Tip: We had a teasmade in our room which was great.
1 Thank theresa a
Dear teresa a,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much with us and that you had the opportunity to use the leisure club during your visit. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Had a dreadful experience with this hotel. - Having stayed in various high end hotels in Edinburgh, I would recommend all of them over here, there are much nicer places available in Edinburgh at better value.

Problems here started at reservation where I was allocated a room with a single bed because I'd booked single occupancy. I had booked single occupancy on the basis that my boyfriend needed to go home that night and couldn't stay, but we were still planning an evening in. Called to complain about this, insisting that double beds are the standard for single occupancy rooms and that this wasn't acceptable. The hotel was insistent that I'd received some sort of discount on this room for this, despite the fact that I hadn't and had paid a cost in excess of competing 4-5* hotels for the same night in Edinburgh. Ran round through multiple members of staff over five phone calls and two emails, essentially told that my expectation of a double bed was unreasonable and refused unless I paid a 30.00 GBP surcharge.

On arrival the room was so small that I had to heave my case over the bed to its stand as there wasn't enough space between the bed and wall to wheel it around. As I have a hard shell case, the room had insufficient floorspace at any point to allow me to fully open the case in the room. The desk doubled up as one bedside table and the desk chair had to be tilted inwards to allow sufficient space to walk past it between the cupboard to the bed.

Bed also bizarrely small. Despite only being 5'9, I found my feet stuck off the end of the bed because it was so short. During the night I tried to roll onto my side and fell out of the bed. It was of a bizarre size that was similar to the bed linen displays used in shop frontages and I was unable to sleep properly on it.

Tried using the bar/grill in the evening. No table service appeared available. My friend collected our menus from a waiter's station herself after around ten minutes. Still nobody came to take an order, which I then had to place at the bar in wetherspoons style. Shortly thereafter, at 1900 on a Tuesday with only three groups in the bar, I was advised I couldn't have my meal choices as they were sold out (never stocked?). After another long wait, my starter and main course arrived at the same time. An antipasti platter, beef cheek and pot of tea came to around £40.00 GBP. Food quality itself was okay. Apology for the inconvenience of the situation seemed insincere. After time wasting through multiple managers prior to arriving, I declined yet another invitation to speak to the manager -train your staff in first contact resolution rather than perpetual escalation and multiple conversations about every minor issue they are unable to resolve.

Went out for drinks elsewhere, I forgot my room key. The sign at reception advised to ring a doorbell for access. Doorbell appeared not to exist. I had to phone their reservations number outside in the rain and ask to be let in. Asked the night porter to show me where the doorbell was to explain the sign. He walked out into the street, looked around, came in and remarked 'sorry about that'?!

Tried to call for 24 hour room service to get a ham sandwhich (approx 7-8 GBP without crisps or salad I think). Call to room service just rang out for a couple of minutes despite advertising a 24 hour service. In the end I hung up and did without.

Left my luggage at reception for a few hours after checking out. Upon returning to collect it I was asked for a luggage coupon I'd never been given in the first place.

My boyfriend complained to me that he'd spoken to reception on the phone, who'd also said they'd been very rude to him, were busy and would have to call him back.

The one redeeming feature of the stay was my amusement that the hotel provides a tissue soaked in chemicals to huff before bed.

If I were offered a stay here for free in the future, I would still have to pay to book somewhere else on the basis that the rooms provided fail to meet basic functional requirements or service standards. This hotel obviously believes it sits at a level of prestige it does not. Staff here appear to be of the opinion that their hotel/service is excellent and that consequently all complaints are received in a dismissive fashion as unreasonable and/or invalid. With the exception of one nice receptionist, I found my treatment here so bad I began to almost feel that I was being purposefully badly treated by staff. Worst hotel experience I have ever had in Edinburgh.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Campbell619
Dear Campbell619,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I would really like the opportunity to discuss your stay further. I would be grateful if you can contact me via email at guestrelations@theroxburghe.com