“Didn't quite make excellent due to some indifferent staffing matters”

The Roxburghe Hotel
Ranked #67 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Didn't quite make excellent due to some indifferent staffing matters”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Apart from a problem with the house maintenance man being useless and not being able to repair a toilet cistern, we had a very enjoyable three nights here. The rooms were immaculate and very spacious. We ended up with a very good rapport with one of the Duty Managers who was very helpful with our problems. The breakfasts were very good - the only issue was the time it took for staff to take your hot food order, which meant a long wait for bacon, eggs etc after your cereal!! This review may seem like a whinge, but it is a lovely hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian D
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Brian D,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to see that for the most part you have enjoyed your stay with us and we will be in contact with you relating to the issues you have noted mentioned in your review.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel should you be traveling to Edinburgh again in the future.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Finnish first
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hotel was better than expected and being upgraded to a club room when we checked in was a wonderful surprise. Husband went off for massage in spa while I was able to have a leisurely bath in the lovely large bathroom with smashing hot water. Husband not over impressed with massage when he returned as a little " going through the motion" rather than a massage. Food excellent. Service impeccable. Do like having a fresh cooked breakfast rather than buffet. Everyone so polite and helpful. Would certainly use again if we return to Edinburgh at any time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda I
Dear Lindai499,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that our cooked breakfast was enjoyable and set you up for the day ahead.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for our vacation in Edinburgh for 4 days. This was an incredible experience and we were so grateful to all of the helpful staff, especially the concierge, Gavin. They answered all of our (numerous) questions and made our stay a fantastic one. My husband and I stayed in the Georgian part of the hotel, which featured a lot of classic details and a beautiful view of Charlotte Square. While the room was small, it was perfect for our stay and we would gladly stay in that room again. Breakfast was a good selection of breads, cereals, fruit, etc. We enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to Rose Street, which had a lot of good pubs and restaurants. The hotel was about a 20 minute leisurely walk to the castle and only about a 5 Pound cab ride to anywhere in Old Town. We loved this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynna F
Dear Lynna F,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and Gavin sends his very kindest regards for your warm words and wishes you all the very best. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Roxburghe again next time you are visiting the city.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here whilst attending a conference event in Edinburgh. The location and hotel building from the front is impressive. Service in the hotel at front desk is good.

Other plus points - the hotel bar is good and again service good.

The bedrooms are an ok standard but for the price of £160 were nothing special. I had a king bed, it was clean and comfortable. But the decor was a little plain.

Myself and friend ate at the hotel bar and found the food to be average, nothing special. But there was some live music, atmosphere & service was good.

Down side to the hotel - We had club lounge access and ate are breakfast here, the breakfast from the menu was terrible. I ordered poached egg and sausage, both of which were well undercooked and I didn't eat any, the best part was the toast I made myself. However again the service and atmosphere was good.

Other Down side was the lift. I was on the 5 floor but ended up using the stairs mostly due I the slow unresponsive lift.

Overall - lovely location and impressive from the front. Some aspects like the bar were very nice and service/staff were great. However The food was poor (hopefully a one off) breakfast needs improvement. For the price I would expect a higher standard of bedroom decor.

Also the lift needs upgrading!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Wirewolf79,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am sorry to read that aspects of your stay were not up to our usual high levels of service delivery and hospitality. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss directly with you your feedback on your stay. If you would like to do this please contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com and I will investigate fully your comments and feedback with the team here at the hotel.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again to the hotel and restore your faith in The Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe

Kind regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We have just had another fantastic weekend at The Roxburghe. All the staff are first class and the brasserie has added another dimension to this wonderful hotel. The braised cheek and the special of Thai salmon was excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 871michaelm,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your return stay with us so much and took advantage of our restaurant facility during your visit, I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon for another relaxing and enjoyable stay in the city.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The room was quite modern.

That included a new, albeit small TV.

My room was on the 3rd floor facing the street and a bit loud.

The air conditioning did not work well which left the room quite warm.

The Internet was fast and free and easy to access.

The bed was comfortable.

The bathroom was basic and clean.

There is a dining room that serves a very good quality breakfast with a great selection of cold foods buffet style and hot foods to order.

There is also a bar and workout facility (but I did not use either).

Concierge was helpful in assisting to find some nearby spots.

The hotel is located near nice squares and subway stops.

This is an good hotel located in the city centre for a reasonable price. I would have rated it a 4 except for the lack or working air conditioning and noise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Seafoodtraveler,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you enjoyed our breakfast and concierge service. If you do have time to let me know the room number you were staying in we will investigate the air conditioning issue (unless you notifies us during your stay in which case we would have rectified the issue) you can contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel should you be visiting Edinburgh again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Wow. A few days ago, we held our wedding at the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe and we couldn't have asked for a better day. From our initial viewing of the hotel all the way through to our departure as a married couple, the level of service and attention to detail was incredible. Living in London, the complete wedding package was great for us, excellent value for money and a weight off our shoulders knowing it was being arranged for us.

Sometimes at weddings, the food can be a little below par when so many are being catered for. Our food was amazing and guests even came up to us to say how nice it was. We had one guest who made a last minute request for different food and this was sorted in an instant. The two kids at the wedding were given Roxburghe teddy bears, which went down very well! We also had to make a change to our table plan with less than an hour to go before the ceremony as a guest couldn't make it. This was arranged immediately.

We knew the service would be good at the hotel but, from the minute we arrived in Edinburgh on the Thursday to leaving on Tuesday, we were treated like royalty. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone took the time to say hello and congratulate us. If we had any kind of request, it was arranged no questions asked (such as moving a different booking to let us use the club lounge for photos or Gavin the concierge offering to collect our cake for us the day before when we joked about how we were going to carry it). We stayed on an extra night in our suite (Albert suite) and would definitely recommend doing that. We can't possibly fit all of our stories about how great the staff were into one review!

If you are planning a wedding in Edinburgh, go and see this hotel for yourself. Kayda, Awinash, Wilfried, Gavin and everyone else at the hotel - a huge thank you from Helen and David. The only negative is that no hotel we go to in the future will ever get close to our experience here.

Room Tip: The Albert Suite (room 244) is huge and has a great view of Charlotte Square gardens.