“Great location- service blips” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh

The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh
Ranked #70 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Vancouver. British Columbia
“Great location- service blips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The location is wonderful-overlooks Charlotte Square and is 2 blocks off the noisy, touristy Princes street. The hotel itself has a early Georgian front with a new wing built in. Definitely ask for the new wing. Room was quiet and comfortable. Lobby, sitting areas, bar , restaurants were well designed and comfortable.
Two issues were problematic- housekeeping was erratic- first night we got chocolates- never saw them again .On the last night we were given bathrobes. Each day the room was made up very late in the day-seemed to focus on check outs first which is annoying to come back at 3.30 and find the room is still not made up. There were several weddings on the weekend and the last one had a very disruptive band that thumped away very loudly until12 midnight.
The entrance to the hotel is very small and all the smokers congregate there for a puff which makes exiting and entering smelly and difficult. The hotel needs to find another area for the smokers to congregate!

Room Tip: Best to overlook George street or ask for interior room- overllooks the large atrium
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Barbara B
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear 561967,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and that you found our facilities n the bar and restaurant to be so good. I do apologise for the late servicing of your rooms, we do endeavour to get all rooms services by 3pm and for the vast majority of time we achieve that comfortably.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again to the hotel in the future.

Marcelo Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I made a surprise travel for my wife's 50th birthday and made a 6 days trip in Scotland. Fits hotel I chose was the Crowne Plaza The Roxburghe.

First impression is very good, staff at the desk was very friendly and the concierge very nice ! He explained everything we neede to know about what was available in the hotel and the accesses of Club Lounge.

We had a TV connection problem, that was fixed very shortly and efficiently.

Romm was very nice and beds very comfy. The view wasn't great but not bad neither. Only "bad" point was all the cigarette butt just behind the window.

Situation is very good, not far from Princess street and all the tourist attractions.

We could try the Restaurant on the evening, and had to wait a little at the bar. Staff was also very friendly, but, as I discovered it at this hotel and the other Crowne Plaza in Edinburgh, staff at the restaurant and at the desk are almost all non-english or scottish. It doesn't change anything for me, but sometimes, it makes it difficult to be understood, as my english isn't perfect, as their english isn't very good neither..

Dinner was good, nothing very special, but good and at reasonnable price for such a hotel.

Brekfats was good, but the buffet isn't very furnished, and I'm always a bit disappointed when you have to pay another supplement to have something like pancakes in your breakfast menu. But again, staff friendly and food was good.

I will certainly go back to The Roxburghe, and espacially if I have to choose between the 2 Crowne Plaza hotels.

Dear spooty,

Thanks you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again should you be returning to Edinburgh again in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights while at a conference and I found this a great hotel. The location is fantastic, breakfast was great. The only fault I could find with it was that the lift was out of order for my stay which made my 5th floor room a bit annoying!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Johnnyshaker,

Thanks you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and found the breakfast to be so good. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again should you be returning to Edinburgh again in the future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed for a couple of days over a weekend. On the whole this is a very comfortable four star hotel with good staff, but there were a few things that stopped me giving 5 stars.

FOR; - excellent staff, very friendly, very helpful, very informative and obviously very well trained in good customer service.

- the room overlooked the inner courtyard so we did not suffer and street noise.

- the bed was very comfortable and nothing had been missed. It was a huge double bed with room for three or four people(!) and with spotless and crisp top quality cotton bedding.

- check in and check out was excellent and smooth.

AGAINST; - the room was generally clean but there were a few hairs in the bathroom and some areas had not been dusted for a while.

- the breakfast was not 100%. We were in the "club lounge" for our breakfast which at first we thought was a very good thing as the restaurant was very noisy and hectic. In the club room were only half a dozen tables, a very attentive young lady was the only staff member in there and on the whole was doing very well. However, she buggered up our hot food order and we had waited a good 10 minutes for our hot food that we just ate what we got rather than send it back. Also, she would only clear tables when people left, and not when you had finished with dishes such as cereal bowls etc , which made the tables become messy and cluttered. Plus, we were expecting a bit of peace and quiet but there was a huge tv on the wall that was blasting out Sky News that nobody was watching and a polite request to have it turned down was not ignored. Maybe she had it on loud so that people wouldn't hang about.

However, on the whole this is a good place, it isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. It is located in a very picturesque square just off the western end of Princes Street and unusually discreet, if you didn't know it was a hotel you would walk straight past it. We enjoyed the stay and hope that the breakfast shambles was a one-off. We will definitely stay here again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear The Fat Punter,

Thanks you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you found the staff to be so helpful and had such a comfortable nights sleep. Please accept my apologies for the small issues you had in your room and breakfast, I have discussed both areas in detail with the respective managers to reduce the chance of this repeating. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Timaru, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I spent 3 nights at the Roxburghe whilst on holiday in Scotland. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and very helpful with regard to getting about, places to eat, and places to see.

The Concierge service was very good, and I appreciated the helpfulness, and good advice I received.

The room was clean, and at the standard I expected for this class of Hotel.

The bed was comfortable, and I was able to get a good nights sleep each night. The free wifi worked well. I had breakfasts at the hotel, and was able to have a good breakfast each morning.

The Hotel is well located, and I found it easy walking distance to the Royal Mile and central Edinburgh (10-15 minutes).

All up I had a very pleasant stay at the Roxburghe, and would stay there again if in Edinburgh. I chose the hotel off good Trip Advisor reviews regarding the hotel, and the good service. I was not disappointed, and this shows the value of Trip Advisor.

I was travelling alone, and appreciated the warm welcome and friendly staff, especially Gavin at the Concierge Desk.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ross W
Dear Ross W,

Thanks you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you found our location so good for your trip. Gavin sends his kind regards and best wishes.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel in the center.very good to explore city. We came twice. In the first night we had a normal room which was very quite but a small bed. When we came back from our tour we ordered a kingsize bed and got a clubroom which was quite nice but loud.even when the windows were closed you here people walking..its like beeing outside.the stuff is very friendly and helpful.its no isolaton in the windows.could be an investment which would work for the hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear anke s,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel, I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found our team to be friendly and helpful. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again should you be returning to Edinburgh. If you do return to the hotel please request a 'Quiet Zone' room of which we have several. This will be placed away from the front facing rooms and does not suffer from city centre noise in any way.

Warm Wishes Kind regards,

Marcello Ventisei
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference and I found the hotel to be excellent.

The rooms were of a good quality, excellent amenities and little touches(like bathrobes) really give it that extra feel.

The breakfast service was good and one member of staff in particular(I sadly cannot remember her name) was extremely helpful to both my colleague and I.

All of the staff were friendly and I would recommend a stay at this hotel.

The only slight nag I have is that I booked into a double and I got a twin room. It would also have been nice to have had more water in the room.

Room Tip: I stayed in the wing further away from Charlotte Sq which was very quiet indeed.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear KyleT16,

Thank you for our review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and breakfast proved to be a highlight for you. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Marcello Ventisei