“Excellent Location, excellent hotel”

The Roxburghe Hotel
Ranked #66 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Germany
“Excellent Location, excellent hotel”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night, would happily have stayed more if we could have. Stayed in a feature room which was very plush and included a fireplace. Also had use of the Club Lounge for drinks and canapés in the evening. Breakfast was buffet with hot food cooked to order and gluten free bread for my wife ( she said it was some of the set she has had). Will certainly stay here again, next time I am in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a feature club room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear John Jetset,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that we were able to look after your wife's dietary requirements during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's my first visit to Scotland and I must say the overall experience has been amazing. Our stay at the hotel has been excellent from the start. Our room was spacious beautiful high ceilings presented to the highest standard. The staff were friendly helpful and very knowledge about the city recommending the best places, transport and adviceing the best routes.

I can highly recommend the club room which comes with the benefits of the club lounge a private space that has 24 hours access which has added bonus beverages snacks etc... Al the staff members in the club lounge were helpful and pleasant ( especially I think his names is Dimitvis )

Room Tip: I would recommend travellers use the Edinburgh hop on hop off buses. As the hotel is a 20 min walk...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sharon J,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to reads that you enjoyed you stay with us so much and also that you found our Club Lounge to be so relaxing. Dimitrios sends his thank for your kind words.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

london
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visiting the hotel for a second time and being in the club room I would have to say it been a fantastic experience. The room was amazing, spacious and view looking out into Charlotte square was very impressive. The club lounge exclusivity of being served canapés around 6pm were lovely and it's comfortable setting and relaxing atmosphere are definitely bonus points
The only downside and recommendation is that the spa area needs to be upgraded as it's currently underused and layout is not appealing. Incorporating a jacuzzi would be a good step forward to reflect the high standards of customer service that is offered.

Staff were professional and friendly especially in the club lounge area. All staff including Dimitvis ( I believe that's his name ) were helpful and engaging throughout my stay at the hotel.
Having fruit at my room as a welcome treat set the scene for a wonderful stay at the hotel. I would like to thank the hotel management and Barry who made this trip possible and a great delight

Room Tip: Upgrade to club room as you have access to the club lounge and it's definitely worth it with the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear sam l,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that we managed to look after you so well during your visit. Both Barry and Dimitrios send their very best wishes and thanks for your kind words. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked 2 twin rooms in Jan 14 for a stay this last Bank Holiday weekend...so full of promise! Nice hotel and helpful staff, especially the young chap who helped me park in the UG car park. All went OK until dinner the first night; 3 of 4 meals had to be sent back, almost cold from the start on lukewarm plates. Of the two "chunks" of calves liver, one was almost all gristle. Anyway, plates went back after trying to explain to the waiter what was wrong and they were sorted, very hot...recooked! Didn't get the sides of mushy peas and creamed spinach back that we had put onto our plates and had to battle to get it removed from the bill. Next morning at breakfast, my wife asked if there was going to be any more tomato juice brought out...it was only 0915 after all and the grumpy old waiter, said they had run out and promptly turned his back on her and mumbled something that sounded to me unacceptable. They had also run out of poached eggs(?) which left me speechless until the waiter said they had no vinegar to cook them in...and the evening before when my daughters had room service of a tuna mayo sandwich, there was no mayo, leaving her with dry tuna. So they ran out of tomato juice, mayonnaise and vinegar...sounds like pretty poor stock control to me.

I have been Plat member for many years and asked if there was any chance of being able to take a drink in the Club Lounge, after all I had spent almost £1200 on the stay in the hotel but I was told they had no capacity...so I ask myself what was the point of the 700+ nights in IHG properties if Platinum turns out to be worthless.

There were good things of course, the location, standard of the rooms, very friendly bar staff but the thing one remembers is the bad and these little things were what we took away from the hotel.

I do think it time, in the absence of any tangible benefits from Plat membership, to move across to the Hilton group, I know they are more appreciative of those who put something in the order £50k into their pockets over a 3 year period!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear 2names,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am glad to see that you found our location and bedrooms to be so good along with he friendliness of our staff. I do apologise for the issues that you experienced during your stay and would very much like to opportunity to discuss them further with you. If you could contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com I will be happy to feedback from my findings. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind regards

Vancouver. British Columbia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The location is wonderful-overlooks Charlotte Square and is 2 blocks off the noisy, touristy Princes street. The hotel itself has a early Georgian front with a new wing built in. Definitely ask for the new wing. Room was quiet and comfortable. Lobby, sitting areas, bar , restaurants were well designed and comfortable.
Two issues were problematic- housekeeping was erratic- first night we got chocolates- never saw them again .On the last night we were given bathrobes. Each day the room was made up very late in the day-seemed to focus on check outs first which is annoying to come back at 3.30 and find the room is still not made up. There were several weddings on the weekend and the last one had a very disruptive band that thumped away very loudly until12 midnight.
The entrance to the hotel is very small and all the smokers congregate there for a puff which makes exiting and entering smelly and difficult. The hotel needs to find another area for the smokers to congregate!

Room Tip: Best to overlook George street or ask for interior room- overllooks the large atrium
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara B
Dear 561967,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and that you found our facilities n the bar and restaurant to be so good. I do apologise for the late servicing of your rooms, we do endeavour to get all rooms services by 3pm and for the vast majority of time we achieve that comfortably.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again to the hotel in the future.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I made a surprise travel for my wife's 50th birthday and made a 6 days trip in Scotland. Fits hotel I chose was the Crowne Plaza The Roxburghe.

First impression is very good, staff at the desk was very friendly and the concierge very nice ! He explained everything we neede to know about what was available in the hotel and the accesses of Club Lounge.

We had a TV connection problem, that was fixed very shortly and efficiently.

Romm was very nice and beds very comfy. The view wasn't great but not bad neither. Only "bad" point was all the cigarette butt just behind the window.

Situation is very good, not far from Princess street and all the tourist attractions.

We could try the Restaurant on the evening, and had to wait a little at the bar. Staff was also very friendly, but, as I discovered it at this hotel and the other Crowne Plaza in Edinburgh, staff at the restaurant and at the desk are almost all non-english or scottish. It doesn't change anything for me, but sometimes, it makes it difficult to be understood, as my english isn't perfect, as their english isn't very good neither..

Dinner was good, nothing very special, but good and at reasonnable price for such a hotel.

Brekfats was good, but the buffet isn't very furnished, and I'm always a bit disappointed when you have to pay another supplement to have something like pancakes in your breakfast menu. But again, staff friendly and food was good.

I will certainly go back to The Roxburghe, and espacially if I have to choose between the 2 Crowne Plaza hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear spooty,

Thanks you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again should you be returning to Edinburgh again in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights while at a conference and I found this a great hotel. The location is fantastic, breakfast was great. The only fault I could find with it was that the lift was out of order for my stay which made my 5th floor room a bit annoying!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Johnnyshaker,

Thanks you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and found the breakfast to be so good. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again should you be returning to Edinburgh again in the future.