“The Very Best”

Ranked #66 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Brisbane, Australia
“The Very Best”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed with my husband at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh The Roxburghe for three nights and really enjoyed the hotel. The room was spacious and beautiful. The staff, particularly concierge and the check in desk, were fantastic. We travel quite a lot, and rarely encounter service close to that provided at this hotel. We arrived very early, hours before check in, I went to the desk asking if it was possible for us to check in early and if not, could we park our car ( which we had prearranged as hotel parking in limited). Our room was not ready at that stage, but I was advised that we could certainly park our car, and that our luggage would be stored until we did checked in. I was then just amazed at the wonderful service... The lady assisting me at the check in desk then summoned a gentleman from concierge who accompanied me to the front of the hotel where my husband waited in our parked car. Concierge removed the luggage and stowed it very promptly and then return and accompanied my husband to the car park. This was greatly appreciated as we are not familiar with Edinburgh and would never have found the car park. We found a lovely Pub for lunch and returned to the hotel to complete the check in. Every ,time that we left the hotel, the concierge manager would check to see if needed anything..excellent service. The breakfast was wonderful, extensive continental buffet and excellent choice if individually cooked options. Room service also was great, plenty of choice, prompt and high quality. The location of the hotel is also perfect, very close to lovely restaurants, pubs and shops. I suggest bookings suite and pre book parking if needed Also book your room with breakfast and enjoy.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janelle016
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear janelle016,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. am delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed your 3 days with us so much and that you found the service provided by the team here at the hotel to be of such a high standard and helped to make your stay such a memorable one.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Roxburghe again in the future for another relaxing and enjoyable visit.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Finnish first
metar, Israel
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I recently spent 5 nights at the hotel in connection with a scientific conference held there. At the very start, Hannah, the clerk at the reception desk, in the most friendly and efficient manner, straightened out some serious difficulties (not the fault of the hotel) with the reservation. We stayed in the old building, which was just fine. The room was smallish but quite sufficient. It seemed that by the next day, all of the staff knew our names, and often anticipated our needs. Breakfast, included in our hotel bill, was delicious and was served in a lovely room of the hotel's fine restaurant, the George Street Bar and Grill. There was a choice of buffet or cooked to order food or both. The hotel's location is excellent: easy walking distance to major tourist sites (e.g., castle, museums, galleries); shops of all kinds and prices; great variety of good restaurants. Since nothing is perfect, I should mention that the only complaint (and is it not major) is that the housekeeping could have been better, e.g., failure to replace empty tissue box.All in all, the hotel experience was extraordinary, and we have stayed at hotels throughout the world.

Room Tip: If the old building was so satisfactory, we can only imagine that the new building will be exception...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Marvin l,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel, I am very happy to read that you and you wife had such a pleasant stay with us and that you found the staff to be so helpful and accommodating. Hannah sends her best wishes and thinks for your kind words,

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again should you be visiting Edinburgh in the future.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here while we were in Edinburgh and were very pleased with our stay. Our room was huge with a view of George Street. The staff were very pleasant and attended to every aspect of our visit. The location is tough to beat as Rose Street and Princes Street are both within walking distance. It is very easy to walk to Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile from this hotel as well. Edinburgh is a beautiful city and it is easy to walk around to see the sights.

The restaurant is very good as well. We had both breakfast and dinner there several times and were pleased with every meal. The food and beverage selections are great.

In all, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom R
Dear Tom R,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that our location was so suitable for your visit. I am also glad you had the opportunity to dine with us during your stay and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be visiting the city again.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

booked a spa break, rooms were very good spa treatment excellent and the restaurant in the hotel was very good. All the staff were very polite and helpful, breakfast there was so much choice you didnt know what to have and the hot food was cooked to order. All in all a great stay and would highly recommend. It is a little walk from waverly station but not too far and it is close to all the sites.

Room Tip: We were in the new wing and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mbk186478
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear mbk186478,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your spa break so much and that you found our breakfast to be so good. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon to the hotel.

Germany
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night, would happily have stayed more if we could have. Stayed in a feature room which was very plush and included a fireplace. Also had use of the Club Lounge for drinks and canapés in the evening. Breakfast was buffet with hot food cooked to order and gluten free bread for my wife ( she said it was some of the set she has had). Will certainly stay here again, next time I am in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a feature club room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear John Jetset,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that we were able to look after your wife's dietary requirements during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's my first visit to Scotland and I must say the overall experience has been amazing. Our stay at the hotel has been excellent from the start. Our room was spacious beautiful high ceilings presented to the highest standard. The staff were friendly helpful and very knowledge about the city recommending the best places, transport and adviceing the best routes.

I can highly recommend the club room which comes with the benefits of the club lounge a private space that has 24 hours access which has added bonus beverages snacks etc... Al the staff members in the club lounge were helpful and pleasant ( especially I think his names is Dimitvis )

Room Tip: I would recommend travellers use the Edinburgh hop on hop off buses. As the hotel is a 20 min walk...
Dear Sharon J,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to reads that you enjoyed you stay with us so much and also that you found our Club Lounge to be so relaxing. Dimitrios sends his thank for your kind words.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

london
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visiting the hotel for a second time and being in the club room I would have to say it been a fantastic experience. The room was amazing, spacious and view looking out into Charlotte square was very impressive. The club lounge exclusivity of being served canapés around 6pm were lovely and it's comfortable setting and relaxing atmosphere are definitely bonus points
The only downside and recommendation is that the spa area needs to be upgraded as it's currently underused and layout is not appealing. Incorporating a jacuzzi would be a good step forward to reflect the high standards of customer service that is offered.

Staff were professional and friendly especially in the club lounge area. All staff including Dimitvis ( I believe that's his name ) were helpful and engaging throughout my stay at the hotel.
Having fruit at my room as a welcome treat set the scene for a wonderful stay at the hotel. I would like to thank the hotel management and Barry who made this trip possible and a great delight

Room Tip: Upgrade to club room as you have access to the club lounge and it's definitely worth it with the...
Dear sam l,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that we managed to look after you so well during your visit. Both Barry and Dimitrios send their very best wishes and thanks for your kind words. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.