We spent the weekend in this wonderful city, travelling first class on East Coast Trains. A great way to travel. The hotel was a pleasant walk along Princes Street from the station.
On arrival we were greeted by the concierge who took charge of our luggage immediately.
There was a minor hiccup with our booking (not the fault of the hotel) which was sorted out immediately and without any fuss by the receptionist.
We were shown to our room which was located on the 3rd floor overlooking Charlotte Square. Despite the traffic noise which was quietened by the double glazed windows and the occasional noisy plumbing the room was fine.
The room was a good size with all the amenities that you would expect from such a nice hotel.
We were woken by the fire alarm at 2ish on the Friday night/Saturday morning. Having read previous reviews on Tripadvisor I knew that this was something that happened occasionally at this hotel. Luckily it wasn't raining as we were ushered onto an adjacent street.
Anyway I have to say that no matter what area of the hotel we ventured into Bar, Restaurant, Rooms, Reception this is undoubtedly the hotel with the most friendly and helpful staff we have encountered in most the many hotels that we have stayed in anywhere in the UK.
We ate in the hotels restaurant on both nights. There was a very wide choice available and as stated before the service was fantastic. The breakfasts too were excellent with everything you could want on the menu.
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay in this wonderful city with its sights, places to eat, and shopping potential.
Looking forward to another visit already as there wasn't enough time to see everything during our three day stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Roxburghe Hotel is currently undergoing a top-to-toe refurbishment. More than 100 of our bedrooms and suites have already been given a smart, new look - and it's these rooms that guests will stay in when they book accommodation. For the next couple of months, we'll be tackling many of the ground-floor spaces, including the hotel restaurant and bar. Whilst these are closed, we will serve a complimentary breakfast as room service or take-away from the lobby until the end of March 2017; dinner will be served in the lounge area and also available as room service. Travel in style and stay in The Roxburghe Hotel in the heart of Edinburgh city center. The hotel rewards its guests with an unrivaled location on historic Charlotte Square. This premier 4 star hotel has recently refurbished its meeting space, public areas and all 198 bedrooms, many with views of Edinburgh Castle. Ideally located between George Street, the stylish home of the cities top bars, restaurants and boutique shops and Rose Street with more traditional pubs and eateries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Superbreak UK, Ctrip TA, LateRooms, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Roxburghe Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Roxburghe
- Macdonald Roxburghe Edinburgh
- Roxburghe Hotel Edinburgh
- The Roxburghe Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland