“Great location, great staff, great stays”

The Roxburghe Hotel
Ranked #67 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bedford
“Great location, great staff, great stays”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We spent the weekend in this wonderful city, travelling first class on East Coast Trains. A great way to travel. The hotel was a pleasant walk along Princes Street from the station.

On arrival we were greeted by the concierge who took charge of our luggage immediately.

There was a minor hiccup with our booking (not the fault of the hotel) which was sorted out immediately and without any fuss by the receptionist.

We were shown to our room which was located on the 3rd floor overlooking Charlotte Square. Despite the traffic noise which was quietened by the double glazed windows and the occasional noisy plumbing the room was fine.

The room was a good size with all the amenities that you would expect from such a nice hotel.

We were woken by the fire alarm at 2ish on the Friday night/Saturday morning. Having read previous reviews on Tripadvisor I knew that this was something that happened occasionally at this hotel. Luckily it wasn't raining as we were ushered onto an adjacent street.

Anyway I have to say that no matter what area of the hotel we ventured into Bar, Restaurant, Rooms, Reception this is undoubtedly the hotel with the most friendly and helpful staff we have encountered in most the many hotels that we have stayed in anywhere in the UK.

We ate in the hotels restaurant on both nights. There was a very wide choice available and as stated before the service was fantastic. The breakfasts too were excellent with everything you could want on the menu.

We would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay in this wonderful city with its sights, places to eat, and shopping potential.

Looking forward to another visit already as there wasn't enough time to see everything during our three day stay.

Room Tip: Room 344 is was a good sized room and although a bit noisy had a good view and all the amenities req...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear BedfordMark

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. I am delighted to read that you were able to take advantage of so many of the hotel facilities during your stray and that you found the team to be so accommodating, friendly and helpful. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights. Our luggage had been lost due to Hurricane Arthur. We were taken in by the wonderful concierge, Gavin, and his crew, and treated like royalty. Gavin made many calls to help track down our luggage, and the desk crew, led by Jamie, advised us as to shopping for essentials, walking and running paths and anything else we needed. The hotel is well-situated to explore the beautiful city and all of its attractions. The room was made ready for us early, and was clean and comfortable. The food at the restaurant was delicious,and I ordered a soft-boiled egg for breakfast that was perfect! I would go back and stay there in a heartbeat.

Dear Joyce W

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. Gavin, Jamie and the team all send their very best wishes to you and your husband. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

Warm wishes and kind regards welcome

London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for two nights and enjoyed every minute. The hotel is very charming, well kept and really has everything you would want - a very nice breakfast restaurant, piano bar, outside lounge area. The service was excellent - the hotel was not fully booked so the concierge was nice enough to upgrade us to the club class room and service. They took care of every request and made sure to go out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. The hotel also has excellent gym and pool facilities.
The location was also great, right in the center and close to shops and restaurants, but a bit tucked away from the most touristy areas - which we really appreciated.

Overall, couldnt ask for more - great stay!

Room Tip: Try to get the 4th or 5th floor with a view to the castle.
Dear Dasha N

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

edinburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recieved a groupon voucher from a friend for my birthday to recieve x2 treatments that would last 30 minutes each and use of the swimming pool facilities.

I arrived nice and early and was directed to go to the changing room and given a locker key and informed that inside would be a robe and slippers for me to change into. Once I'd done this I was to walk back up to reception and wait to get taken to the spa area.

In my locker was no slippers so I got changed into my robe. The only place to do this was the toilet as it was the only place with some privacy as the whole area is open plan with no enclosed changing areas. The toilet I would describe as dirty and definitely requires updating.

I walked back up to reception (just wearing my own shoes) I was taken to the relaxation area and asked to fill out a form about my skin and general health. In the relaxation room one of the arm rests was hanging off so didn't really create the right ambiance. Half way through filing out my form my therapist arrived and she said not to worry filling it all in as long as I'd done the first page.

My two treatments a facial and back, neck and shoulders massage were good and afterwards I was told I could use the swimming pool etc if I desired. I couldn't help thinking that because I used a groupon voucher that I was just being rushed though and my total treatment time must have been less than an hour, as by the time I'd done a bit of my form and had my two treatments an hour wasn't even up by the time I got back to the changing room and checked my phone.

Overall the two treatments I recieved were good but I would not say they were worth the full price quoted.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear newmummy2014,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel, I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your spa day as much as we would have liked you to. If you would like to discuss in more detail please do contact us on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com. We receive consistent positive feedback regarding this area of our business and for us to miss that mark in the way you described is something we very much would like to rectify.

Kind regards

england
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were at the Crowne Plaza for the Bay City Rollers' Fan Fest 2014 on Sunday, 20 July 2014. We did not have a room but we experienced the surroundings and ambiance of this fine hotel. The buffet served at our event was moorish and everything a class act.

The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because our event as suppose to end at 1:00 a.m. but was cut short by an hour by hotel management.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear carole1961England,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel following you attendance of your event. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the venue and food so much. Perhaps we will be able to welcome you back for a residential stay next time you are visiting the city.

General Managert
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The service was excellent. However, there is only so much service for a hotel with shockingly small rooms and (perhaps) the thinnest walls of any place I have stayed. You can literally hear every word in the adjacent rooms. Upon arrival the room was not cleaned, but that can happen. The location is excellent. It is just small and noisy.

Room Tip: ask for sound proofing
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Exline
Dear Exline,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am happy to see that our staff service pleased you but I am sorry that the noise you experienced has detracted slightly from your stay. We do have Quiet Zone rooms available for our guests and should you be returning to the hotel we would be delighted to arrange one of these rooms for you. Should you wish to discuss your stay further please do contact us on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com

Haltwhistle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a very smart hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. The rooms are beautiful. The location fantastic - very close to Princess Street and the castle. We walked up from Waverley station very easily.
The pool and steam room made for a good cool down after a good shop on Princess Street.
The club lounge is a lovely touch. Free drinks and canapés early evening.

Only one small criticism - the bathroom waste goes through a macerator so every time you flush the loo or put the tap on you get a very noisy buzz for he following few seconds. No issue during the day but not great at night.

Room Tip: Club rooms with the club lounge access are lovely
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Catherine G

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.