“Thank goodness for James” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh

The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh
Ranked #70 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Thank goodness for James”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Me, a friend and her two children booked a two night stay at The Roxburgh for a leisure visit last weekend. I booked two double rooms, one with a put up bed for her son. On room allocation I was given a spacious double and my friend a small double with no room for an extra bed....we swapped rooms and reception swiftly sent housekeeping up to set up the extra bed. The rooms were comfortable, mine looked over George Street which benefited from a lot of natural light. Breakfast was ok but had to pay extra for eggs benedict. The staff were cheerful, helpful and swift in dealing with any request or query. I would like to give a special mention for James who was most helpful especially with parking and luggage, nothing was too much for this wonderful man and really made our visit enjoyable. The only reason I haven't given full marks is because you can't charge to your room unless you have a credit card and for the confusion during check in with the rooms and extra beds. Great location, fab staff!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerReply, General Manager at The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Reaneybean80,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. James sends his nest regards and thanks for your lovely feedback. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I recently visited the Spa in the Roxburghe Hotel, having heard great things from friends we decided to treat ourselves to a relaxing day out. From the get-go the service was outstanding. When we arrived the manager, Danielle, greeted us and explained what was going to happen over the next few hours and I have to say the level of customer service shown by this lady was amazing. She was extremely friendly and helpful (as was all the other staff) and she showed a great passion for her job.

The spa itself is a great, cosy little spa, nothing too overpowering. It has a beautiful relaxation area to relax before and after your treatment with refreshing fruit, water, tea or coffee at your disposal and the girls were always checking if they could get us anything.

Our treatments were simply amazing, my therapist was brilliant at her job, taking everything i said into account to give me the best treatment possible and my girlfriends therapist who happened to be Danielle said she was exactly the same.

All in all i would advise anybody looking for a relaxing day in an extremely well run spa with very helpful, friendly staff then this should definitly not be missed. We will certainly be back.

Thanks Danielle and your staff for a wonderful day.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank P--66six
Dear P-66six

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel Spa. I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. Danielle and her team send her very best wishes and kind thanks for your generous feedback. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Let's start with the positive points: classy place, good location in the city, breakfast is ok (but limited choice of cold meats and cheese if you do not want the hot option). Room size is adequate, good amenities and free wifi.

But : in the middle of July, central heating was ON all day long ! you could feel the hot tubes running in the room resulting in a room temperature of 26+°C... and the only explanation was that this was "perfectly normal", and that we should not complain because "this is an automatic system that will shut down at 10pm".
The point is not about when it will shut down, it just should not be on at all during this period of the year. And obviously, you cannot open the windows, and the aircon is also working so poorly that it cannot compensate for the hot temperature. And "sorry, other rooms are not available".

Plus noise coming from the corridors and the other rooms (too thin walls in this old building), room doors that shut heavily.... and you get that type of hotel you would choose if you do not intend to have a nice comfortable sleep.

Last but not least, error on the bill at check-out (immediately corrected though).

All in all, a big disapointment for a Crowne Plaza at £200+ per night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Dear Pippononlosa,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I am sorry to read that there were elements of your stay that fell short of your expectations. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss these matters further with you. If you would like to do so please contact the hotel on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com

Kind regards

Bedford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We spent the weekend in this wonderful city, travelling first class on East Coast Trains. A great way to travel. The hotel was a pleasant walk along Princes Street from the station.

On arrival we were greeted by the concierge who took charge of our luggage immediately.

There was a minor hiccup with our booking (not the fault of the hotel) which was sorted out immediately and without any fuss by the receptionist.

We were shown to our room which was located on the 3rd floor overlooking Charlotte Square. Despite the traffic noise which was quietened by the double glazed windows and the occasional noisy plumbing the room was fine.

The room was a good size with all the amenities that you would expect from such a nice hotel.

We were woken by the fire alarm at 2ish on the Friday night/Saturday morning. Having read previous reviews on Tripadvisor I knew that this was something that happened occasionally at this hotel. Luckily it wasn't raining as we were ushered onto an adjacent street.

Anyway I have to say that no matter what area of the hotel we ventured into Bar, Restaurant, Rooms, Reception this is undoubtedly the hotel with the most friendly and helpful staff we have encountered in most the many hotels that we have stayed in anywhere in the UK.

We ate in the hotels restaurant on both nights. There was a very wide choice available and as stated before the service was fantastic. The breakfasts too were excellent with everything you could want on the menu.

We would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay in this wonderful city with its sights, places to eat, and shopping potential.

Looking forward to another visit already as there wasn't enough time to see everything during our three day stay.

Room Tip: Room 344 is was a good sized room and although a bit noisy had a good view and all the amenities req...
      Sleep Quality
Dear BedfordMark

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. I am delighted to read that you were able to take advantage of so many of the hotel facilities during your stray and that you found the team to be so accommodating, friendly and helpful. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights. Our luggage had been lost due to Hurricane Arthur. We were taken in by the wonderful concierge, Gavin, and his crew, and treated like royalty. Gavin made many calls to help track down our luggage, and the desk crew, led by Jamie, advised us as to shopping for essentials, walking and running paths and anything else we needed. The hotel is well-situated to explore the beautiful city and all of its attractions. The room was made ready for us early, and was clean and comfortable. The food at the restaurant was delicious,and I ordered a soft-boiled egg for breakfast that was perfect! I would go back and stay there in a heartbeat.

Dear Joyce W

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. Gavin, Jamie and the team all send their very best wishes to you and your husband. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

Warm wishes and kind regards welcome

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for two nights and enjoyed every minute. The hotel is very charming, well kept and really has everything you would want - a very nice breakfast restaurant, piano bar, outside lounge area. The service was excellent - the hotel was not fully booked so the concierge was nice enough to upgrade us to the club class room and service. They took care of every request and made sure to go out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. The hotel also has excellent gym and pool facilities.
The location was also great, right in the center and close to shops and restaurants, but a bit tucked away from the most touristy areas - which we really appreciated.

Overall, couldnt ask for more - great stay!

Room Tip: Try to get the 4th or 5th floor with a view to the castle.
Dear Dasha N

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your time with us. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future should you be returning to Edinburgh.

edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recieved a groupon voucher from a friend for my birthday to recieve x2 treatments that would last 30 minutes each and use of the swimming pool facilities.

I arrived nice and early and was directed to go to the changing room and given a locker key and informed that inside would be a robe and slippers for me to change into. Once I'd done this I was to walk back up to reception and wait to get taken to the spa area.

In my locker was no slippers so I got changed into my robe. The only place to do this was the toilet as it was the only place with some privacy as the whole area is open plan with no enclosed changing areas. The toilet I would describe as dirty and definitely requires updating.

I walked back up to reception (just wearing my own shoes) I was taken to the relaxation area and asked to fill out a form about my skin and general health. In the relaxation room one of the arm rests was hanging off so didn't really create the right ambiance. Half way through filing out my form my therapist arrived and she said not to worry filling it all in as long as I'd done the first page.

My two treatments a facial and back, neck and shoulders massage were good and afterwards I was told I could use the swimming pool etc if I desired. I couldn't help thinking that because I used a groupon voucher that I was just being rushed though and my total treatment time must have been less than an hour, as by the time I'd done a bit of my form and had my two treatments an hour wasn't even up by the time I got back to the changing room and checked my phone.

Overall the two treatments I recieved were good but I would not say they were worth the full price quoted.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
Dear newmummy2014,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel, I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your spa day as much as we would have liked you to. If you would like to discuss in more detail please do contact us on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com. We receive consistent positive feedback regarding this area of our business and for us to miss that mark in the way you described is something we very much would like to rectify.

Kind regards