Stayed here for the book/fringe festival. The location of the hotel is one of the best, directly on George street and across the street from the book festival.
We checked in and were quickly helped out by the concierge, who was great.
The room was lovely and it's one of the most comfy night's sleep we've had in a while at a hotel. The view of Edinburgh Castle and Tattoo was amazing.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and chilling out in the tea room was lovely after a hectic day.
Okay, now the problems... and they were very few. In fact, some wouldn't even view them as problems. After all, this is only our view.
We were on the 5th floor and the lift to this floor is not just very slow but also small. When it's full you do feel like the lift can't handle more weight than two... although it does, it does feel like it's struggling, and it shouldn't really take more than 30 secs or so to go 5 floors...but it does. Not sure how long but it is noticeable.
The breakfast. Although still nice, it wasn't the best and portion sizes were poor. Which in our book, should fairly equal what you pay...which it didn't. If portion sizes were good and the food cooked well (which it wasn't...overcooked bacon and sausage), we don't really mind. But when you receive a small (any I do mean small) breakfast, with a high price tag; it gets you to wonder why.
The coffee was lovely though and so was the tea. The best in Edinburgh.
Although there were a couple of small problems for us...and they were small, the stay was extremely nice and if we returned to Edinburgh (which we are) we will definitley be booking the Roxburghe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Roxburghe Hotel is currently undergoing a top-to-toe refurbishment. More than 100 of our bedrooms and suites have already been given a smart, new look - and it's these rooms that guests will stay in when they book accommodation. For the next couple of months, we'll be tackling many of the ground-floor spaces, including the hotel restaurant and bar. Whilst these are closed, we will serve a complimentary breakfast as room service or take-away from the lobby until the end of March 2017; dinner will be served in the lounge area and also available as room service. Travel in style and stay in The Roxburghe Hotel in the heart of Edinburgh city center. The hotel rewards its guests with an unrivaled location on historic Charlotte Square. This premier 4 star hotel has recently refurbished its meeting space, public areas and all 198 bedrooms, many with views of Edinburgh Castle. Ideally located between George Street, the stylish home of the cities top bars, restaurants and boutique shops and Rose Street with more traditional pubs and eateries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and TravelUp so you can book your The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Roxburghe
- Macdonald Roxburghe Edinburgh
- Roxburghe Hotel Edinburgh
- The Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh Scotland