“Good hotel”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #88 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Worth a stay when in Embra. Good bedrooms with great views over the city.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Check-in very efficient, greeted as a Priority Club member and offered complimentary drink.

Did not eat there but was offered breakfast at check-in for £10 per person per night (instead of £13.95) if vouchers bought there and then. Hotel was full due to Fringe Festival but did not notice any noise. In fact when returning to hotel at midnight residents bar was just closing and there was no-one around. Decent views even from 1st floor room at front of hotel but would recommend higher floor for better views. Room had 2 double beds, flat screen 32" (I think) TV and complimentary mineral water. Bathroom was a bit small but was clean.

Around 2 miles from Princes Street (around £8-£12 in a taxi) or regular buses close by get you into the city for less than £2 each.

Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stayed for 1 night during a recent business trip, my room was 1 of the best I have had in the UK. The staff were pleasant and helpful
The restaurant and food was better than in most UK Holiday Inn's.
WIFI was free.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
ayr scotland
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed as a platinum member using reward points. Have stayed in this hotel before and feel standards have slipped. Reception, bar area messy not enough staff around. Arrived late back to be met with rude night ? porter asking for room cards as proof of residency. In morning very noisy staff in corridor continually talking to each other all doors knocked at just after 9am to enquire as to whether "HOUSEKEEPING " could enter. I take it this is their new morning alarm call to eject guests from their beds. On going down for breakfast we were met by very hostile member of staff demanding how we were going to be paying for our breakfast as she could not find our room on her list. We were made to feel as if we had chanced in off the street. My husband has been a member of ich hotels group since 2002 and will consider not using this chain again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Although this hotel is about 2 miles from the center of Edinburgh we were really impressed. From the fifth floor we had the most wonderful view of Edinburgh castle and the Fourth of Firth. The room was spotless, and the breakfast was great, and they serve until 10am so we didn't have to rush in the morning. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stay here a couple of times a year and are noticing that standards are starting to slip.
Its a typical Holiday Inn which provides predicable accomodation and service.
On this visit, however, our room had not been cleaned when we returned at 10 pm. The Front of House was manned by a prter who contacted the duty manager. His response was to contact housekeeping. 30 minutes later I was unhappy to discover that Housekeeping had not been located. The old style hall Porter showed initiative and went to service the room him self - jusitfiable dismayed by the lack of attention to customer service offered by the duty manager - who was more interested in sitting down doing his accounts whist watching his exhausted guests being let down.
Full marks to the Hall Porter - a wake up call to Holiday Inns/Intercontinetal to hire staff at management level with a customer service attitude.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2011

To say that finding myself spending a night in here a surprise is a gross understatement. But here I was with almost 200 other shell shocked victims after Continental flight 109 failed to leave the ground owing to the inevitable technical problem. New York, no go, Edinburgh once more.
The fact that Holiday Inn was able to cope with such a large and unexpected volume of guests at such short notice doesn’t do it any credit.
Perhaps because it was a Sunday night that so many of the rooms were available!
The check in desk were doing an admirable job allocating so many people. I was among the stragglers in the process but did have to wait a while and perhaps another body on the front desk would have aided the cause.
Can’t really fault the room, it had a double bed, single bed and a settee to accommodate weary travellers, but on this occasion twas just me. It felt a bit like a Premier Inn but HI has devised a marketing strategy that will surely ensure world domination. You can have your pillows soft or firm!! Wow!! For the record I opted for firm!
As Continental were picking up the tab for dinner bed and breakfast I'm not sure I saw the food at its best! The Continental 200 were treated to a buffet of very limited selection and if the was HI trying to create a favourable impression they blew it big time. The food was bland and tasteless. And in the case of the vegetables, overcooked.
I assume HI must have an arrangement with the airlines to accommodate so many at such short notice. My suggestion to them would be to embrace these sudden and unexpected visitations as a marketing opportunity. I am not in the habit of staying at their premises and that line of thinking has not changed!
My sleep was fragmented as I knew I was getting up for an early morning flight but the bed and firm pillows did their job The bathroom almost got 100% for being spotlessly clean but there was one stray dark hair on the bathtub, not mine!
The low point of the trip was actually using the kettle in the room to make a cup of tea. It was revolting, disgusting, and dirty. Nice TV manky kettle. Time to replace it HI!
I had awoken very early, with the hotels location next to a Zoo it was as if I was waking up in the jungle!
And so to breakfast.
This didn’t start till 0630 and I went down at 0600. Described as a "Continental" breakfast, it probably explains why I had the restaurant to myself! Don’t mention the C word after the traumas that led me to be there! Had a bowl of cereal and orange juice (passed my world famous test) and cup of tea out of a pot that would fail health and safety requirements as water poured from top rather than spout.
Overall my stay was a pretty bland experience. Nothing to rave about nothing to get wildly emotional Over
To conclude the hotel does exactly what you would expect a Holiday Inn to do.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo