“Another pleasant week!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Another pleasant week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Arrived late on the evening of 9th June to the usual warm welcome. Executive Room assigned was comfortable and clean, so no surprises there. Over the course of the week, all Staff including the General Manager welcomed me back and expressed interest in my welfare, which definitely generates a "feel good" factor.
I always find the quality and variety of food on offer very acceptable, particularly the "eggs on request" approach at Breakfast, whereby they are freshly cooked to taste, plus the practice of laying out small but continually replenished quantities of Buffet items to keep everything fresh. I therefore find it difficult to understand some of the less positive reports I have read and can only assume that variations in taste and opinions is what makes humanity so intriguing.
Staff in Reception, the Bar, the Restaurant and Housekeeping are always most pleasant and obliging and leave me feeling quite privileged. (like home from home, without the nagging - can't believe I said that!).
Location is central for Business, with easy access to the Motorways going West or North, so ideal for me as I travel Scotland extensively.
Bottom line is I always feel most comfortable and welcome at this well managed and friendly Hotel and it will continue to be my No. 1 choice in the area. My thanks to all concerned.

Room Tip: Probably worth paying the extra for a Suite if you like the feel of space and a little extra in the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear TerryD,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. It is always a pleasure to have you stay with us when you visit Edinburgh. Thank you for your kind comments and I will pass your feedback on to our team. We will look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,331 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

On check in we were greeted with a big smile (tick in box 1) and found check in easy and quick (tick box 2). We were informed we had been upgraded to a mini suite (tick box 3) and we took the lifts (2) and made our way to the room.

Lovely room with some nice views across to the mountains. The air con did not appear to be working so we had to open the windows. No problem until around 02.00 am when there was considerable boisterous noise form the car park below. We believe it was a Holiday Inn staff party and the night porter did try to quieten them down - unsuccessfully.

The 2nd night, peace and quite so another tick in the box 4.

Good bus links to the City Centre, (take exact money as Lothian bus drivers do not offer change) a Sainsbury superstore opposite if needed and so, apart from the late noise, a great experience.

Anthony

Room Tip: On check in, see if any complimentary room upgrades are available. No harm in asking. This hotel wil...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith J
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Dear Keith J,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to learn that you had an efficient check in experience and that you were greeted with a warm welcome. I was disappointed to read that you had a small issue regarding noise I will pass your comments on and we will investigate the mater. Overall I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Derbyshire, UK.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

We have used the Holiday Inn brand for many years and been loyal customers to them. However the one night stay with family on Friday has put us off using them again.

We booked in at 2pm to be told our room was not ready so the receptionist found us in a 2 double bedded room with an amazing view of the city(but a very small bathroom for a family of 4.) The room itself was no better than a Holiday Inn Express.

The receptionist was helpful and friendly and we found out how to get into centre by bus.

We had booked a dinner bed and breakfast rate at £130 for the night (pricey but seemed to be the going rate that night.) We booked dinner at 6.30pm and there was only one other party there. We had the set menu which was quite limited in choice so I chose the vegetarian option and my husband chose the chicken kebabs. After the order went to the kitchen I was told what I wanted was not there so as a concession I could eat fish (there were no other vegetarian option or fish option on the set menu.) I was told there was one fish dish I could have so had that. The main for me was fine but my husband got given a meal he hadn't ordered (pork escalopes.) He spoke to the restaurant manager who said that the chicken kebabs weren't available and he wouldn't charge us for that meal and that we were on a DBB deal and was told this wasn't a problem. (There were very few things available on the advertised set menu and a third of the items weren't in stock!) As the rest of the family were eating he felt he had to eat it. The pork escalope was dry and not very pleasant and the vegetables were dried up. At the end of meal we received the bill to find that the childrens two lemondates had been taken off (about £4.) This clearly did not reflect the actual cost of the main meal and my husband took the matter up with the restaurant manager again. We then had a process whereby the restaurant manager kept coming back to our table so we didn't get any family time in pleasant surroundings but having to continually explain what had happened. Initially we were told that the duty manager was not available. I took the children to the room (it was late by now for them.) and he tried to speak to the duty manager who seemed more concerned about his tills not working than customer care. We went to bed upset and wound up.

In the morning we came down for breakfast to the duty manager coming back to start again on what had happened the night before. We were glad to check out in the morning. Clearly not worth the money and an awful experience and will take this matter up with Holiday Inn 'head office.'

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JoWilson
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear JoWilson,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I was pleased to read that you found our receptionist friendly and helpful and you were able to find out some useful information. However I was disappointed to learn that your experience in the restaurant did not meet your expectations and that you felt your situation was not resolved at the time. If you wish to discuss the matter further then please contact me at your earliest convenience at the hotel directly and I will be happy to discuss in more detail with you. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the service we provide to our guests.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed here for 5 days on business. Bit out of the centre of Edinburgh so if I was a tourist I would probably want to stay somewhere in the centre of the city. Having said that the room I had was lovely - a suite - although I only booked a standard room. My colleague needed a room with a walk in shower as she has mobility problems and they switched her to a different room immediately. the bathroom are small but adequate and the toiletries are good. The rooms and hotel was clean but the best part was the staff - they were so attentive and helpful and check in and check out was efficient. The hotel also has a library of books you can borrow and if you haven't finished the book when you leave, you can donate £1 to charity and take it home with you.

The breakfast was ok but a pre-cooked buffet which looked as if it had been there for some time so I asked for an omelette or soft boiled eggs to be cooked fresh and they were superb. The dinner menu is quite short so you could well end up eating same food more than once.

I would say good value for money and the helpful staff made the stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite and an inner room if you like quiet
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Dear Mary T,

thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to read that our staff made your stay enjoyable and that you found our omelettes superb. Thank you for your kind feedback. We hope you will come back and visit the hotel again soon.

newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

Only stayed for a single night so only had a short time in this hotel but what I saw was up to the usual standard that I have come to expect from this chain.
The check-in and check out process were both efficient, accurate and painless with friendly, helpful staff.
The restaurant was pleasant and, again the service was good. There was a delay between the courses but the waiting staff explained what was going on and provided me and my colleague with a complimentary sorbet and coffee. Breakfast was back in the restaurant and was a hot and cold buffet. Haggis for breakfast, and a pancake making machine, if there is a better way to start the day let me know!
The room I had was virtually a suite, with what amounts to a sitting room and a separate bedroom with views out to the surrounding hills.
Location wise the hotel is about two miles from the city centre, but allow plenty of time if travelling by car...the tram works are still not complete and traffic congestion and diversions are common, however the hotel is on a bus route into the city.
And the test, would I stay here again...definitely.

Room Tip: You can get a city/castle view from one side of the hotel, worth asking for.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Rapidresponder, thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your short stay with us and that you found our staff efficient. I was also pleased to learn that you enjoyed your breakfast experience at our hotel. Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and visit our hotel again soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business this week. The view from my room was spectacular, especially when it had rained and there was a beautiful rainbow near Arthur's Seat in the distance. The room was a good size with 2 large beds.

Unfortunately I cannot be so complimentary about the room service. I ordered a meal early because I had a meeting starting at 8pm and did not want to be rude and eat during it. I waited and waited and nothing happened. I eventually had to call room service again and was told that there had been a 'problem with the kitchen'. OK, I accept that problems arise sometimes, but they should have TOLD ME without my having to inquire and I would have made alternative arrangements. So I was hungry and irritable. They tried to buy me off with a drink but that's not food and does not satisfy one's appetite. Very disappointing indeed. I will be very wary of eating here again. The problem is, there are no restaurants apart from KFC and McDonalds nearby.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on one of the higher floors, with a view of Arthur's Seat.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Julia H, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am pleased to learn you found your room was a good size and that you had a spectacular view over the city. I am very disappointed to learn that your experience with the room service department negatively impacted your stay. I will pass on your feedback to the relevant manager. I would be very grateful if you could contact me at the hotel at your earliest convenience to discuss the matter in more detail. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Elgin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed here for a weekend visit to the Capital in May. I had requested a high floor room with a castle view and this is what we got. The view was lovely with huge windows looking out over the CIty and the Castle in the background. The room was compact and quite small but in saying that, it had everything you could need and was lovely and clean and welcoming with nice furnishings. The bathroom was also small but big enough for your needs with a decent shower and a limited selection of toiletries ( which I did not need as brought my own). A little dish of some description to put the soap on at the sink would be useful as it slipped about all over the place.

There was no iron and ironing board in the room, despite me being told beforehand that there would be - but we asked at reception and one was brought to the room very quickly for our use and taken away again when we had finished with it. There was plenty of hanging space and drawer space and kettle with tea and coffee, hairdryer, nice big tv and all you could really need. I was pretty warm at night and the air con did not work effectively but I coped - don't know how good this would be if it had been really hot though.

We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food - the breakfast appeared quite expensive to us so we ate elsewhere. We have previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Ocean Terminal and they provide a basic breakfast included in your room price which was a nice option but this was not available at this hotel. We had a drink in the bar one night and this was pleasant and reasonably priced for a hotel in Edinburgh.

The location is fine, there is a bus stop across the road which takes you into town if you wish to leave your car at the hotel but we drove to our destinations. It is only a ten minute drive into town and there is a large selection of shops across the road including a Sainsburys if you want to go and buy any nibbles etc.

The staff were friendly enough and efficient and we had a pleasant stay - would happily stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Janelizzy67, thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your weekend stay with us and that you found our views over Edinburgh lovely. I am sorry to read that you found the air conditioning did not work effectively I will pass your comments on to the relevant manager. Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay with us. We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.