“Nice Hotel.”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #89 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 July 2013

A nice hotel lives up to the standard of Holiday Inn, or better. However, no free Wi-Fi! It charged $5 1hr for Wifi. A big disappointment for travelers like us.
Hotel has nice bedroom with 2 large beds. View from window was excellent.
The restaurant was really nice and big. But breakfast? just OK.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear Chuang004,

Thank your for your recent review on tripadvisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Regarding the wi-fi charges I am pleased to announce that it is now complimentary for Gold and Platinum IHG Rewards members and in 2014 it will become complimentary for all other IHG Rewards members too. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our restaurant. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I always prefer to stay with holiday inn group hotels being reasonably priced and give good value for money.
During our last visit in end May 2013 we stayed at this hotel and enjoyed our stay. Check in was very smooth. We were given rooms on fifth floor with a great view of old city and the castle.

As the breakfast was expensive at the hotel, we decided to have our breakfast at Sainsbury which is located just across the hotel.

Hotel is about 3 miles from the central area but well connected by bus. Front desk staffs were helpful always eager to assist you in all arrangements.

Good and clean property for a peaceful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of castle on top floors
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear foodlover61,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us along with our views of Edinburgh castle . Thank you for your kind comments regarding our font desk and housekeeping teams. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Not very far from the city center area...41 numbered bus service outside the hotel can take you to the center for 3.5 pounds for a round trip. Great View from rooms...excellent and spacious rooms !! good breakfast..
amazing hospitality shown by the front desk staff there...( i dont rmbr their names..but one was a black lady with her name starting with "B"..thanks mam... and other was a thin white lady..you were so generous and helpful mam)...
bar staff...Kunal n Sanjeev..great again :)

the hotel also books Highland tour...amazing way to discover scotland

amazing stay...

just opposite to a big city center ....

Room Tip: 2nd to 5th floor rooms are best if one wish to enjoy the bful scenic view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sanchit27,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your kind comments to our team. Once again thank you for the kind feedback and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

On the positive side check in was most efficiently done. Special mention of the lady who was most helpful when I came down later to ask about internet connection, saying she would get me complementary access coz I was a loyal client. But at checkout time, it was a different lady who remarked that that should never have been allowed and that she would take it up a a training issue! However she honoured the offer made to me and did not charge me even though I did say that she could, if she wished.

Breakfast was sumptuous and the staff who waited at the tables were very attentive and helpful.

And when I asked if I would have a Bible, one was immediately produced! Thank you.

The Holiday Inn hotels are almost cloned with no scope for variation in lay out and structure, usually. But on this occasion I was struck by the lack of space. Often when I use the Holiday Inn, it is usually when I am travelling alone for work. That may well be the explanation... But this time my wife was there too, making for a very cramped existence. We stayed at this hotel for two nights and there was minimal space for two people to move without colliding, unless you both slide sideways. Being a Gold Priority Club Card member (their loyalty programme), I did ask if I would be upgraded. but I got the standard answer - they were fully booked. That is always so and one wonders if there is any point in loyalty!

Another problem we had relates to the bathroom, which was exceedingly small. The shower actually functioned as a sprinkler at best. The bath towels have shrunk in size and were actually frayed! These deserve attention even if this was only a three star hotel and I hope the management will take cognisance of this review and perhaps fix the things that can be remedied.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear imliooper,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am pleased to read that you found your check in experience efficient and the staff at the breakfast very attentive and helpful. With regards to the wi-fi I am pleased to announce that its now complimentary for our Gold and Platinum IHG Rewards members. I am disappointed to learn that you found our room layout small and the conditions of our towels poor. I will pass on your feedback to the appropriate managers. Thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Location right next to the bus stop so easy access to Old Town and New Town. Staff helpful with mapping out bus routes to get where I was going. Food pretty good for a hotel. First night I was in a room next to a crying baby. Staff moved me right away and were empathetic and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Niida

Dear Nilda,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found our staff helpful. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

From the website this seemed to be the cheapest holiday inn in Edinburgh, we opted for room only as thought would eat in a nice cafe in Edunburgh. However were actually over 3 miles out, which seems further with 2 young children. It was £5 to get to the outskirts if town on the bus! To add the breakfasts would cost £13 each. Unfortunately a whole coach load of Chinese tourists stood outside our room talking very loudly at 11.30 pm as they were all coming to bed (our room was opposite the lifts). We were then woken before 6am as the same said tourists talking whilst waiting for all the lifts to go back downstairs, they all then participated in a group exercise class on the hotel's lawn. As we were woken up so early walked over to Sainsbury's and found they did breakfast there at a much cheaper price. Not very glamorous but couldn't do a 6 mile trip to town and back!

Worn out at the start if the day, we were then advised would need 2 buses to get to the zoo (found a 30 minute route to walk on my phone which would be quicker than waiting for buses).

Being so far out of town made it difficult with baggage on day of check out as didn't want to carry bags all day until time to get train. (Left them in bus station locker)

Noisy location beside lifts and all traffic passing. Too far from town to really feel staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Lin_dasmit,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I was sorry to read that you felt the location of our hotel was too far from the city centre and that you experienced some disturbance outside your room. If you choose to stay with us again we can allocate you a room away from the lift in a room at the opposite end of the corridor. Thank you for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the service we provide to our guests.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Arrived late on the evening of 9th June to the usual warm welcome. Executive Room assigned was comfortable and clean, so no surprises there. Over the course of the week, all Staff including the General Manager welcomed me back and expressed interest in my welfare, which definitely generates a "feel good" factor.
I always find the quality and variety of food on offer very acceptable, particularly the "eggs on request" approach at Breakfast, whereby they are freshly cooked to taste, plus the practice of laying out small but continually replenished quantities of Buffet items to keep everything fresh. I therefore find it difficult to understand some of the less positive reports I have read and can only assume that variations in taste and opinions is what makes humanity so intriguing.
Staff in Reception, the Bar, the Restaurant and Housekeeping are always most pleasant and obliging and leave me feeling quite privileged. (like home from home, without the nagging - can't believe I said that!).
Location is central for Business, with easy access to the Motorways going West or North, so ideal for me as I travel Scotland extensively.
Bottom line is I always feel most comfortable and welcome at this well managed and friendly Hotel and it will continue to be my No. 1 choice in the area. My thanks to all concerned.

Room Tip: Probably worth paying the extra for a Suite if you like the feel of space and a little extra in the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear TerryD,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. It is always a pleasure to have you stay with us when you visit Edinburgh. Thank you for your kind comments and I will pass your feedback on to our team. We will look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon.