“At last a Hotel in Edinburgh I would return to”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #86 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Shifnal, United Kingdom
“At last a Hotel in Edinburgh I would return to”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Having stayed previously at the Mercure in Edinburgh see review “5, 4, 3, 2 .......1”

I am pleased to say that this Hotel is 100% better in every respect.

The staff are excellent, polite, courteous and professional, nothing is too much trouble. Emma in the restaurant take a bow!!

My room (516) was light and airy and the view was fantastic from the Firth of Forth on the left to the Castle on the right.

The room was spotlessly clean.

The restaurant food was well cooked, tasty and varied, the Wensleydale topped mushrooms were a particular highlight.

A couple of niggles.

No free wifi - in this day and age!!
The water pressure for the shower was very low
American tourists - well one american tourist

Waiter " Good Morning Madam and how are you?"

American Tourist "Don't talk to me until I've had coffee"

If this was meant to be funny, it wasn't and supported all the "Americans are loud, brash, ignorant and arrogant" stereotypes

I do sympathise with Earl, the erstwhile partner of the above "lady"

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Barrovian134,

Thank you for your recent tripadvisor review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your kind feedback to Emma. Thank you for your comments as they are greatly valued and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in June for a weekend break. Got upgraded to mini suite due to my priority club status.

Room 505 was really nice and looked well looked after. Bar prices were quite steep but that's to be expected in a hotel. Only had dinner on first night. Emma was superb and when we had a complaint about the quality of the steaks she handled it really well. She even brought the Head Chef out and he talked to us they both apologised and gave us complimentary desserts. Great customer service.
Breakfast the next morning was fab and the cook your own pancakes were great.
Ate out in Edinburgh at the Far Pavillions the next night was also great. On check out bill wasnt right but was quickly sorted out by Claire.

Thanks for a great stay and be back soon

• Stayed June 2013
Dear travelfanEdinburgh,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and you enjoyed your upgraded room and our pancake machine. I will pass on your comments to Emma regarding her great customer service. We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

My family and I (9 of us) went on a 2 week adventure through the UK. We stayed at this hotel on our last night. We were quite disappointed from the start. For the price we paid, one would think wifi was complementary. No. It was not. There was an hourly charge for the wifi which equalled around $10 USD. So we thought we'd go downstairs and use the computer down there. Nope. There was a charge for that, as well. A continental breakfast? Think again. It was roughly $20 USD per person for breakfast (we passed). The woman behind the counter was a little on the rude side. Also, we asked her to show us where the hotel was on a map so we could find our way back after going 'into town'. She gave us the wrong directions and it was a complete nightmare trying to get back to the hotel. Luckily we found two taxi drivers (after a long search) that knew where to take us.

The hotel was nice. I won't lie. The view from our room was spectacular. The beds were comfortable. The service and amenities were awful. We spent 10 other nights throughout the UK in cheaper hotels (this one was by far the most expensive) and not once did we have to pay for wifi or breakfast. Ridiculous.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank TaraJoGee
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear TaraJoGee,

Thank you for your recent review for our hotel. Firstly I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our spectacular views along with the comfort of our beds. However I was disappointed to learn that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I will pass on your feedback to the relevant departmental manager and the matter will be investigated fully. Regarding the wi-fi prices I am pleased to say that this is now complimentary for our Gold and Platinum IHG Reward members and as of 2014 will be complimentary for all other members. Please be assured that everyone at the hotel is fully committed to delivering the correct standard of service and product therefore your feedback is welcomed and will be used in a constructive manner. We hope this has not deterred you from staying with us again.

UK
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed here for a night with my wife and young son at the end of our Edinburgh trip. They offer mini suites, so my son could get to sleep on a sofa bed in one side of the room, whilst my wife and I were able to still watch TV and read next door.

Staff were very helpful in letting me print boarding passes for our flight from the reception computer (no charge).

Although about a mile from the West end of Princes Street, there's a regular enough bus service from just outside the hotel, £3.50 for an unlimited day pass, under 5's go free. Free car parking as well.

The biggest downside with our room was the fact the only powerpoints were in the living area of the suite (where my son was sleeping). Providing an extension cable in each room like this would seem a sensible provision - they had none at front desk when I asked.

I'd stay again.

Room Tip: We had a high floor on the North side - nice view of the hills.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank swisstony123
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Swisstony123,

Thank you for your recent review for our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff helpful. Thank you for your feedback regarding the power points I will pass your feedback on to the appropriate manager. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a week on a business trip. I was pleasantly suprised by the standard of service which was excellent. All of the young staff were obviously trained to a high standard. I must particularly mention Emma Campbell who went that little bit further to ensure guests were happy and being looked after.
I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank IML1531
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Dear IML1531,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the level of service you received to be of a high standard. I will pass on your kind feedback to Emma and the team. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Heard friends from Canada were staying here on their round Britain tour. Staff in this hotel were absolutely wonderful and arranged for us to meet our friends here even booking us a room opposite theirs at very short notice and went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful reunion. It is unusual for staff to go above and beyond the call of duty and be so pleasant and helpful. Thanks again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JulieDudding
Dear JulieDudding,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff were able to assist you with your reunion. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Had a great couple of nights over Christmas. Good hotel (as ever) with good service. The rooms are very comfortable and some have fantastic views over the city. I prefer this (smaller) hotel to the sister property at the zoo.

Room Tip: Room looking over the city would be best
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Provan4,

Thank you for your recent review for our hotel. I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.