“Shockingly good!”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #94 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Despite the exterior looks of an awkward location, the hotel had an AMAZING view from rooms facing the city on top floors! We were there for a night but out of 5 hotels I'd checked into,, this particular one had the best location. Also it was conveniently located opposite to a mall that had restaurants, clothing stores and Sainsbury s.
The staff were out to assist in anything to the best of their ability. Very professional and always there for whatever the matter.
I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose rooms which have a good view of the city and on a top floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear Eastly,

thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to learn that you had a great stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope you will come back and visit the hotel again soon

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I tend to stick to Holiday Inn when travelling because you know what you're getting.

However, the Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West is my favourite because of the attitude of the staff and management at this location. Always a friendly greeting and very courteous and always attempting to make your stay memorable. Particular thanks to Lee who is an excellent ambassador for the hotel.

The bar is nice and the food good also and if you're feeling adventurous, the bus into town stops adjacent to the hotel. The Far Pavilions Indian restaurant is 5 minutes walk down towards Stockbridge and is highly recommended.

Overall, a nice place to stay if you're away from home, or on a weekend break.

Room Tip: East side of hotel provides lovely view of city (and is more sheltered from wind if weather is bad)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear bumpmegums,

thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made your stay memorable I will be sure to pass your kind comments on. We hope you will come back and stay with us again

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed overnight on a business trip, and the Hotel was good, with a large superstore and a small retail park with a Mcdonalds and KFC restaurants there too. A little outside the city centre, but there is a bus service for those without transport.
The room i had was comfy, with a large bathroom ( mine had disabled facilities) and the bed was comfortable. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear pastyman109,

thank you for leaving a review for our hotel. Its great to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found the hotel comfortable. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed here due to the price which was great. The building is nothing to look at but inside it was ok. I arrived and the staff were good and helpful. The room was modern and clean. Only thing i did find was that the price of drinks seemed a bit rich. It cost £1.60 for a small tonic and about £4 for a gin. Best thing to do would be to buy your own from sainsburys across the road.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear David f,

thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that you found our staff helpful. We hope you will come back and visit again soon

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We had an executive room which was well equipped with tea, coffee, water, hot chocolate and sweets and biscuits. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows were too thin for us whether hard or soft, but too thick to use two together. There is some noise from the road - but we always take earplugs when staying in hotels. There were some noisy guests but that's not the hotel's fault. Very convenient for transport into the city centre and easy to access from the M8 or city bypass. All the staff were very pleasant, efficient and helpful. There is a very good buffet breakfast - great haggis. Unlike other reviewers we were comfortably warm and even had to put the AC on to cool the room down. The charge for WiFi is unacceptable nowadays - you can get that free in most coffee shops! The reviewer who said it's a 25 minute walk into the city must be super fit. It takes nearly that long on the bus!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel - no view but probably less road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Balstel2013,

thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our breakfast buffet to be great. Thank you for your feedback regarding the wifi I am pleased to say that this is now complimentary for our gold and platinum IHG Reward members and in 2014 will be complimentary for all other members too. Thank you for your review and we hope you will stay with us again

Hi there,

We had booked a couple of nigths stay for a wknd in Edinburgh. Prior to arriving I had contacted the head office and the hotel directly for a dietary requirement for breakfast. We had also asked for a quiet room.
After a lengthy check in we were given a room, top floor at the road end facing in away from the road. Everything seemed fine until 18hrs when the roars of the kitchen fans kicked in. We initially thought it was a helicopter outside so contacted reception. The lady arrived and said she could give us another room so we decided to move. Arrived in the room to see a door which my wife asked, 'is that an adjoining room', we were told shortly and sharply NO. Sounds goods, so we went out for the evening, the breakfast requirement still had not been guaranteed and was told that it could not be sourced.
Both rooms did not have fridges in as should have and also robes etc.
We arrived back to the hotel to be told that they had sourced some items for breakfast, went up to our room and guess what, terrible speaking noise from people next door, contacted the lady who said it was not an adjoining door, she arrived, we opened our side of the 'join' knocked and this guy walked into our room, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Spent the next 40mins or so having a chat to the 'duty manager girl' who told me that I had said '4 times' that I could not believe she did not know it was an adjoining room. We should have checked, dont think so........
I went to great lengths to explain to her she had a duty of care to us but this fell on deaf ears, I think her name was Jen or Jenny......
Moved room again , this was now very late. Given a room again without a fridge and the seals on the windows was non existent so noise and wind draught all night. Used toilet roll to try and seal windows. Woke up shattered and cold but needs must.
Mentioned this at reception to be told hotel full today. Came back that evening to have to move the matress into the lounge area on the floor. I put my back out and both had a rough night.
The breakfast that was promised (gluten free) was 2 rolls and chipolata sausages.......
Complained on leaving and when back home to get some points on our loyalty card, something ironic in that I think.
So in short if you want any quality of sleep, stay then dont stay here, convenient for rugger but thats it. Absolute shambles throughout with attitude to match.

Room Tip: stay somewhere different for your health
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear billstark,

Thank you for leaving us feedback about your recent visit. Our goal is to provide excellent guest experiences but it is unfortunate we weren't able to do so on this occasion. Please accept our sincerest apologies if the service you received was not at par with expectations and if the room accommodations' condition was sub par. I appreciate you letting us know about these unsatisfactory circumstances as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed two nights whilst working for a day in Edinburgh. The hotel is basically fine - pleasant and efficient staff - wonderful hot chips from the bar - decent breakfast, There is a large Sainsburys across the road in a retail park.The hotel itself is some distance from the main city. My room was OK - good size TV - but like many hotel rooms, it was too dark. The shower was the tiniest I have ever attempted to use - a small triangle. I am not a large person by any means, but I found it awkward to use because it was so cramped. The bed had a very thin covering and I was cold. I looked in the wardrobe for the blankets that hotels usually provide but there were none. Although I could have phoned down and asked for some, I really just wanted to go to bed, so I used my coat as an extra blanket. Internet access was £4 for an hour. I think hotels should provide this free since it is now such a basic commodity.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Letchworthian,

thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am pleased to learn that you found our staff friendly and efficient. Thank you for comments regarding the shower and room temperature we value your feedback and we will use this in a constructive manner. We hope you will come and stay with us again