“Sufficient”

Ranked #88 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Stuttgart, Germany
“Sufficient”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel in Apr 2013 with several members of our family. We reserved two rooms on the same floor, adjacent to one another.

The rooms fine, spacious and with clean bathrooms. The hotel is well located within easy taxi distance of the airport and similarly close to downtown (again, taxi is your best bet).

There is ample parking on the premises provided you don’t arrive in the middle of the night.
Generally speaking we had no issues with the hotel until a group of boys became unruly, drunk, rowdy, you get the idea. This began around 2am and continued until almost 4am. I contacted the front desk who sent up a night security guard multiple times, but within minutes of his departure every time, the noise began again.

Ultimately, the hotel is well located, well priced and fine, but this particular experience was not handled well. Despite voicing my frustration during the night and in the morning the hotel did little to address the issue.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Freedyvr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found your rooms fine, spacious and clean however I am disappointed to learn that you were disturbed by that group of boys and that you were not satisfied with the handling of the situation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I will implement further staff training. I hope you had a pleasant stay in Edinburgh and you will be back again.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Oban, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Two night stay. We were given a room with a fantastic view. Room was extremely clean and housekeeping very efficient. Plenty of free, private parking and bus stop just across the road so ideal for travelling into town. We did not use the dining room so can't comment on that. Will definitely return, Room was so quiet, we actually slept in on our second morning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Allykat52,

Thank you for sharing this excellent five star review from your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you liked the view and that you found your room extremely clean and quiet. Thank you again for your comments and I am very happy to read that you will definitely return.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Nice Hotel, good base for seeing Edinburgh, good shopping centre across the road, friendly staff, and nice rooms, good views from the window too !!!
Very clean, Staff always very helpful. I enjoyed staying , good for walking into town.

Room Tip: keep away from the lifts !!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank onthebuses1969
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear onthebuses1969,

Thank you for this amazing five star review on TripAdvisor. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel a good base for seeing Edinburgh. I hope to welcome you to Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is good, the rooms are very basic and standard. They are pretty clean, although there were a few marks on the bed and some hairs In the bath
It's in a good location short bus ride into princes street
The lounge is really nice but the drinks are slightly over priced
Overall it's a good getaway for the price you pay

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ktdrumz,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am happy to read that you found the hotel overall a good getaway for the price you paid. However I am disappointed to learn that there were a few marks on the bed and some hairs in the bath. I will implement further staff training to ensure this matter does not occur again. I hope you had a pleasant stay in Edinburgh and you will be back again soon.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Our room was lovely and you had a great view of Edinburgh and the Castle was lit up at night and you could see it in the distance

This hotel is not in the City Centre but it takes about 15 mins to get to and from the Centre on the bus, not long at all. You can take the no.41, they come every 20 min or so, and the last one back from the city is 10.39pm on a Saturday. The bus stops right outside the hotel by the Esso Petrol station ( you can't miss it)

There is a big Sainsburys opposite so you can go and get your bits if you need anything. The Staff were ever so friendly and offered me all the extras, like taxi service and wake up call.

My room was warm and clean and that's all you need really. I had tv with free view and all the options to buy an evening movie too. If you book your breakfast at check in you will save yourself £5 or so pounds, so do this.

We were able to go back and forth to our hotel as we bought a bus day pass for £3.50. you can buy these on the bus but you must have the correct money and its worth it as a taxi is about £9.00 to the hotel. the buses don't start on a Sunday til about 8am so keep this in mind.

The Hotel is typical Holiday Inn, and kids eat free, a good 'brand' name where you cant go wrong really and you know you get a decent standard.

Room Tip: We returned to the hotel reception and asked to be moved from in front of the lift as it was the wee...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mishelluk,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your stay with us. I am delighted to learn that you found the staff friendly and the room warm and clean. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you to Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West in the future.

Best Regards
UK
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have stayed twice in the last month and on both occasions I have found the staff very freindly and helpfull, the hotel is clean and tidy with ample parking and the location and the food are great.on the first visit we found ourselves out in the car park at 7am due to a fire alarm, forntunatley for myself I was dressed unlike most geusts but we were soon back inside after a false alarm was confirmed. On my last visit my room was upgraded to a mini suite and very nice it was too. However on both stays I have had disturbed sleep through noise, not rowdy geust or traffic but by persistant howling of the wind blowing in through the drafty windows and constant howling of the wind in the bathroom extractor. On telling the girl on reception she was very sorry but not very sincere.These visits were due to work so I did not have to pay for the rooms myself and even though the howling ,at times, was like a jet engine, I did not pursue it further. I woulld like to stay here again but not untill the noisy drafty windows are replaced

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank APH93
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear APH93,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found the staff very friendly and helpful, however I am disappointed to learn that you have had disturbed sleep. I will report the problem of the windows and the extractor to the maintenance department, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stay at this hotel every week through choice as a direct result of the wonderful staff! I have very early starts in the morning and the night porter and reception guys ( Scott and .......... ) are so happy to bring me a breakfast to my room at an unearthly hour!!
however the hotel staff in general are all so helpful and professional!
this makes all the difference when staying so often.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Pauline M,

thank you for this wonderful five star review on Tripadvisor. I am truly delighted that you found Scott and the whole hotel staff helpful and professional. I will take great pleasure in sharing your very kind words with the team here, and look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.