“A great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kandersteg, Switzerland
“A great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

A really nice hotel with very friendly staff, especially in the restaurant the service staff was lovely. The room with 2 double beds was perfect for us, a family with two teens. Our room was at the fourth floor, and we had a really nice view of the castle and the sea. Breakfast was very good, and the food we had in the restaurant in the evening was excellent. Taking the bus into town was really easy, and only 7,50 for a family day ticket. We really enjoyed the experience!

1 Thank Sandy H
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Sandy H,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful five star review from your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found the staff friendly and that you liked the food in our restaurant. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the experience and I hope you will be back again soon.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed three nights at this hotel recently. Have to say that I was very impressed with all staff members, particularly Lee on reception when we first arrived. I asked for a room with a view and we were allocated a room on the top floor with a view over the city, which was even more impressive at night when the castle was lit up. Lee also helped with bus timetables and places of interest. The standard of cleaning in the room was also excellent, and I would like to say a special thank you to Mary for looking after us so well. The room was always immaculate and she and all of the housemaids did a fabulous job. The restaurant staff were equally efficient, and the food was lovely, especially the breakfasts.

Room Tip: For the view, head for the top floor overlooking the city.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lacbac,

Many thanks for this fantastic five star review. I am very pleased that you were impressed with the staff members and that you were satisfied with the view and the cleaning. I will pass your comments on to Mary, Lee and the other team members and thank you once again for your very kind words. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night last week with our son. I booked a good deal online (£80 for a room with 2 double beds, breakfast and 3 course dinner each). The staff were helpful on arrival, the hotel and our rooms were very clean and comfortable. The decor isn't anything special, it isn't luxurious in any way but if you are looking for a good value overnight stay, this is a good choice. The food was decent and there is also a small play park outside which you can see from the restaurant and bar. There is free parking and there is a bus stop outside with frequent service going into the city centre. The only down side is rooms aren't well sound proofed and we could hear people talking next door.

Stayed April 2014
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Krjackson666,

Thank you for this review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you were satisfied with the staff and with your rooms and that you found the food decent. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by some noise during your stay. Thank you for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you to Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West in the future.

burnopfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We booked this hotel because of the rooms,Two double beds , plenty room for our grandson,
location is a about 10mins from city centre, but is right on a main bus route with cheap tickets,
Parking was good at the hotel. All staff very good, we booked bed and breakfast , and the breakfast was very good, lots of choice and good quality , There is a small play area outside for children. The location for the zoo was very good only a 10 min drive .
Only downside , it took ages for the hot water to come through the taps and no free wifi

Dear jacky&linda,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found the staff very good and that you liked our breakfast buffet as well. However I am disappointed to learn that it took ages for the hot water to come through the taps, I will report it to the maintenance department. I hope you had a great time in Edinburgh and you will be back again soon.

Best Regards
Aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Great hotel for a stop-over in Edinburgh.

Convenient location. Great price at £110 for 1 room with 2 x Double Beds + breakfast. We arrived at 10am and asked if we could just leave our car in the car park and head in to town as we assumed are room would be unavailable as it was so early to our check-in time of 2pm, however the receptionist was great in allowing us into our room. Lovely room, adequate for myself and my mum. Great view over all of Edinburgh. Handy location with a Sainsbury’s and Marks and Spencer’s directly opposite the hotel. The breakfast the next day was also top-notch!

Few negatives would be the noise from a function in the hotel making its way up to us on the third floor – after a tiresome day of non-stop shopping the noise from the function was quite frustrating. However, this is a minimal niggle due to it being a Saturday after all! Also the lifts, they were a bit scary, didn’t really sound very ‘healthy’ and they were tiny so we opted for the stairs, which kept us nice and fit if we’re looking for positives!

Would happily recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Hayleigh-Aberdeen,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am pleased that you were satisfied with our offer and that you liked the view of Edinburgh. However I am disappointed to learn that you had a minimal niggle because of the function. Thank you for bringing the problem of the lifts to our attention, I will report it to the maintenance department. I hope you had a great time in Edinburgh and I am very happy to read that you would recommend the hotel to other travellers.

Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

First stay in this hotel and the second one in our stay for the New Year.
The staff is really friendly and a good plus is the beautiful view towards the castle.
The hotel is not very far from the centre but there is just a couple of infrequent bus that go to the centre.
As we had the plane early in the morning we booked a taxi for the following morning.
I forgot something in the room and I phoned to the hotel to have sent it back to me. The hotel found what I have left and sent back to me debiting me just the cost of the pack. Nice service so!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Rosario_it,

I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to leave us a feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and that you liked the view towards the castle. I am very happy to read that the hotel managed to send your belongings back to you and I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel in Apr 2013 with several members of our family. We reserved two rooms on the same floor, adjacent to one another.

The rooms fine, spacious and with clean bathrooms. The hotel is well located within easy taxi distance of the airport and similarly close to downtown (again, taxi is your best bet).

There is ample parking on the premises provided you don’t arrive in the middle of the night.
Generally speaking we had no issues with the hotel until a group of boys became unruly, drunk, rowdy, you get the idea. This began around 2am and continued until almost 4am. I contacted the front desk who sent up a night security guard multiple times, but within minutes of his departure every time, the noise began again.

Ultimately, the hotel is well located, well priced and fine, but this particular experience was not handled well. Despite voicing my frustration during the night and in the morning the hotel did little to address the issue.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Freedyvr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found your rooms fine, spacious and clean however I am disappointed to learn that you were disturbed by that group of boys and that you were not satisfied with the handling of the situation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I will implement further staff training. I hope you had a pleasant stay in Edinburgh and you will be back again.