“Great location, wonderful staff”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #91 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had stayed here before approx 6 years ago on an organised tour, and chose to stay again due to it's location.

The hotel is only about 7 or 8 stops on the bus from the Royal Mile, and has rooms that you can see Edinburgh Castle from - a wonderful sight at night.

The thing that left the lasting impression this time around was the staff - they couldn't have been more obliging and without fail, all were cheery.

First impressions count, and special mention must be made about Bridget, who was on reception when we arrived - so nice and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear ontourusa,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us and giving us a feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you liked the view and that you found the staff cheery, I will pass your comments on to Bridget and the other team members. Thanks again for your kind words and I hope to be able to welcome you to Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This is now my 5th stay here and some of the standards seem to be going downhill although the price was very good.

Cleanliness of the room is not as good as previously with grout needing redone dust on windows and hair on pillow.

Service gets a 5 mark with special mentions to Claire and Emma. Both very professional unlike a gentleman, Sunil who was duty manager. When I informed him about the problems in the room he dismissed the idea that anything was wrong and I felt he was very rude. When I spoke to Claire about this she apologised and offered me and my wife a drink. Emma served us in the bar.

Please up your game before I come back and get rid of your rude staff

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank travelfanEdinburgh
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear travelfanEdinburgh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you found Emma and Claire very professional but I am disappointed to read that you had some issues on this stay and were not fully satisfied with our services. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention, your comments will be used in a constructive manner and I hope that this has not deterred you from visiting our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Me and my girlfriend spent 2 nights here, having tried one Holiday Inn in the area we decided to try a different one and again we weren't disappointed. The staff were all brilliant however special mention goes to "Claire" I believe it was on the front desk who's pleasant chit chat and professionalism just put us in a good mood to start the day with. We were IHG members and got upgraded automatically to a castle view room, needless to say the view was stunning and the room was functional with little complaints, in my opinion it could of been cleaner in places, a little more dusting around the kettle area and there was a hair in the bath however due to the mood set from the start of the trip these little things didn't phase me at all but have to justify why I'm not giving it 5 stars. Breakfast was great, some ice with the juices would have been nice but otherwise no complaints at all. Drinks although a little pricey even for a hotel bar were served well and it was a calm and pleasant environment to drink in, we also had a snack the evening we arrived which again I thought was a little on the pricey side however was great quality food and couldn't complain. Overall we were both thoroughly satisfied and would like to thank the team for making our stay as good as it could have been.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear 24simpson90,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the staff brilliant and I will pass your comments on to Claire and the other team members. I am delighted to hear that you liked the view however I am disappointed to learn that you were not fully satisfied with the cleaning. Thanks again for your kind words and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is second time my wife and daughter and I have stayed here. Excellent upgrade to mini suites and the evening meal was surprisingly good as during our previous stay the restaurant food was very poor. Very good recognition for IHG Rewards Club members.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear AlianoIreland,

I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It is fantastic to read that you visited us again and that you had a very good experience at this time. Thanks again for your kind words and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my family spent 2 nights at this hotel. Good customer services and the room was clean and with great view. Good breakfast but occasionally staff took a bit to replace what ended, like butters or croissants. Overall I consider the stay to be very good and pleasant. Will stay again soon. Thanks

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Fernando B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found our customer services good and that you liked the view, but I am sorry that you were a little bit disappointed with the breakfast. I am happy that overall you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards

Reviewed 14 April 2014

A really nice hotel with very friendly staff, especially in the restaurant the service staff was lovely. The room with 2 double beds was perfect for us, a family with two teens. Our room was at the fourth floor, and we had a really nice view of the castle and the sea. Breakfast was very good, and the food we had in the restaurant in the evening was excellent. Taking the bus into town was really easy, and only 7,50 for a family day ticket. We really enjoyed the experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandy H
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Sandy H,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful five star review from your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found the staff friendly and that you liked the food in our restaurant. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the experience and I hope you will be back again soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed three nights at this hotel recently. Have to say that I was very impressed with all staff members, particularly Lee on reception when we first arrived. I asked for a room with a view and we were allocated a room on the top floor with a view over the city, which was even more impressive at night when the castle was lit up. Lee also helped with bus timetables and places of interest. The standard of cleaning in the room was also excellent, and I would like to say a special thank you to Mary for looking after us so well. The room was always immaculate and she and all of the housemaids did a fabulous job. The restaurant staff were equally efficient, and the food was lovely, especially the breakfasts.

Room Tip: For the view, head for the top floor overlooking the city.