“Small room, noisy corridor but plenty parking and play area.”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #86 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
England, United Kingdom
“Small room, noisy corridor but plenty parking and play area.”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here with my husband and children aged 4 and 6. The room was on the small side with virtually no floor space. The shower was feeble to say the least. The corridor was very noisy with banging doors, and soundproofing between rooms poor. We didn't pay the massive price for breakfast but had bought snacks from the Sainsbury's over the road. There is also a cafe there. The staff were efficient and generally everything was clean and well maintained. There is a small play area behind the hotel which is visible from the bar and restaurant and was useful to entertain our kids when we were lingering over a coffee or loading the car.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a city view for views of the castle, higher up the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Annie P,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with your room and I am sorry that you were disturbed by some noises. I appreciate your feedback on the play area of the hotel. I hope you had a great time in the city and you will be back again.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
Blackpool
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was the hotel we stayed in for our Edinburgh trip over 3 nights. As always these days, arrange your stay in advance by booking online through an trustworthy online agent will lower your costs for the stay.

We were placed in a room on the first floor right opposite the lifts. This would not have been a negative if only the door was sound proof, which it wasn't. Chatter from the corridor and the waiting space for the lifts just outside the room could be clearly heard. Views of the room weren't great.

Now, this was a real disappointment: Where is the fridge? Congratulations on being the first hotel with a known brand we stayed in that did not have a fridge in their rooms... Thinking about it, this might have been the first time we stayed in a hotel room that did not have a fridge in it. Even some B&Bs have one.

The room could do with a little bit more space. The bed and pillows provided average comfort, sheets looked clean. The hotel claims to provide a range of different pillows for their customers. Wide screen TV with customised software designed for an Holiday Inn room, and a range of TV channels were available. A guide of Edinburgh was available in the drawers (Please do leave it behind for future visitors).

Maintenance in the room we stayed in was below average, holes / repairs on the walls were quite visible and the extractor fan in the bathroom did not work. The bathroom itself looked tired, and it's time for the sealing work around the bathroom to be redone. Cleanliness was average.

The room was cleaned daily while we were out in the city, however it was better attended to the first day than the second.

The customer service was sluggish and did not feel genuine. They failed to provide some slippers in the room and when informed these expected amenities were missing it took them nearly an hour to get some to us.

Not all everyday essentials expected from a standard hotel are provided, but they are listed on a card in the bathroom should you require them.

Breakfast is expensive even if you pay for it in advance. There are [plenty of] places for a great brekky in Edinburgh, so if you have the time, dine somewhere with a taste of Edinburgh.

While the hotel is not terribly expensive it's quality for value just does not match up. Given the price tag, the management needs to invest more into keeping the hotel up to date and in good repair, and staff needs more care towards their work behind the scenes. Your smile behind the reception desk is not going to make up for customer's sub-standard experience of the hotel.

Had to give it a 3/5 because tripadvisor does not allow scoring of 2.5/5 and it's not really a 2 yet. We do expect more from an Holiday Inn hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 120 and 121 are right opposite the lifts on the first floor, so if you can afford it, stay awa...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear CecilCLee,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am really sorry and disappointed that you found our customer service sluggish and not genuine. Following your feedback I will be sure to look into this and provide further training to our team as we are very proud of the amount of positive feedback we usually gain regarding our excellent customer service as demonstrated in numerous other reviews. As a Holiday Inn hotel we have two types of rooms which are standard and executive. The items you have mentioned that were missing are usually found in our executive rooms which can be upgraded to for a small additional fee. I appreciate your feedback on the maintenance and the cleanliness of the room and I will personally inspect the two rooms you have mentioned to ensure they are up to standard. Thank you once again for your comments and I can assure you these will be used in a constructive manner.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2014

stayed here for 2 nights as a part of a tour. The hotel was very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was abundant. The location was not idea, about a 10 min cab ride from the center of town, but it is located very close to a bus line and some very nice walking paths. They recently stopped offering free wifi and the prices are pretty high. Overall, no complaints. I would recommend if you don't mind staying outside of the city center.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauren W
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Lauren W,

Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us and giving us a feedback. I am pleased that you found the hotel very comfortable and clean and the breakfast abundant. I am sorry that you were disappointed because of the wifi however I am happy to share with you that from the 1st of July 2014 our standard internet is free of charge for all IHG Rewards Club members. I hope you had a great time in Edinburgh and you will be back again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We first stayed at the property in July 2010 and this was our second stay.

1) Location: Out of the city centre, about halfway between the Edinburgh city centre and the EDI Airport. Right in front of it is a large shopping complex with Sainsbury's, M&S, Costa, etc. Right next to it is a petrol station as well.

2) Building: Maintained but has a slightly worn down feeling. The car entrance/exit is sort of weird. In order to exit the main parking lot, you need to go down a slight incline, which merges with one of the car entrances, then up a slight incline then pass a roundabout by the hotel main door then go out another entrance/exit. Its hard to explain but is definitely odd and sort of dangerous because an incoming car may hit the right side of your car when you go down the initial incline.

3) Room: Average room. Nothing impressive. Feels dated and seems like nothing has changed since 2010. Bathroom is also acceptable. One good thing is that it offers a view of Edinburgh in the distance and you can get a glimpse of the beautiful buildings over there.

4) Price: We chose this property because we had to drop off a family member at the airport really early the next morning. We stayed at the Radisson Blu Edinburgh few days earlier for slightly more money and was definitely better. Holiday Inn Edinburgh City-West is quite expensive for the quality and I am not sure if it offers value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear KRUS_87,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am happy to read that you visited us again however I am disappointed to learn that this time you were not fully satisfied with the hotel. I am delighted that you liked the view over the city and I hope you had a pleasant stay in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My frost visit to this hotel. Convenient for the city. I was on the 5th floor and had an amazing view of the city and castle. Breakfast was very good.
The bed was 3 out 5 for comfort. Only negative would be the pillows could do with replacing as they were flat.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Shaunkirsty,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a feedback. I am delighted to read that you liked the view of the city and the castle and that you found the breakfast very good, however I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with the pillows. I would like to let you know that we have a wide choice of pillows (harder, softer, etc.). You only need to call the reception for another type. I hope you had a great time in Edinburgh and you will be back again in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I actually live not far away from it and last Sunday morning (08-June, gorgeous sunny day) went for a stroll and decided to pop-in and check out the breakfast. It's a nice place surrounded with lots of trees and it does not feel like you are in the city. Lovely, polite, helpful and well-trained staff. - I had a lot of attention that can be compared to a 4-5 star hotel. Good choice at buffet. Excellent coffee. - Top marks for this 3-star place. I have not seen rooms, so can't really comment on the rest, but would certainly recommend this place for location, service, atmosphere and value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Steve B,

I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to leave us a feedback. I am pleased to hear that you found the staff lovely, polite, helpful and well-trained. I appreciate your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights in October of 2013. Initially I was worried about it being a bit 'out of the way' of the city, and while it is too far to walk, there is a bus stop literally right out of the front of the hotel that will take you into the heart of Edinburgh and the Royal Mile. And a cab is only 10 quid if one wants a night out on the town and needs a way home once the buses have stopped service. The distance is only a very minor inconvenience.

Rooms were very spacious, beds were incredibly comfortable and the view of Edinburgh was great to wake up to. The room exceeded expectations and was one of the better ones I stayed in as I toured the UK and Ireland. The bar and restaurant area were great, plenty of very comfortable seating to sit around and have a chat with my fellow travelers was very much appreciated, and the meals I had (two breakfasts and one dinner) were quite nice.

My only gripe with my stay is that wifi prices are exorbitant. This is an issue with the Holiday Inn chain not isolated to the Edinburgh City West hotel as other locations charge the same fee, but it is necessary to mention. Literally every other non Holiday Inn hotel I stayed at bar one in the UK had free wifi so why Holiday Inn feel it necessary to charge an arm & a leg to access the internet does baffle me. This however does effect my value rating for the hotel.

All in all it was a comfortable stay with no issues with the hotel itself. Don't let the fact the hotel isn't in the heart of the city deter you from staying here as it only adds a few minutes on to your travels to get where you want to go.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BradFraser
Dear BradFraser,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that your room exceeded your expectations and that you found the bar and restaurant area great. However I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with the wifi prices. I hope you had a pleasant stay in Edinburgh and I hope to be able to welcome you to Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West in the future.