“Perfect for what we wanted”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #95 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 December 2008

We booked the hotel as a last minute deal and were pleased with the £49 per night room tariff, Check in was swift and we quickly made it to our room. The room was spacious, with a double bed and a comfortable sofa bed. The bathroom was also a good size, although had some minor paintwork that could have done with a bit of attention. We were able to choose our pillows (which i think is common place in the holiday Inn.) The room was quiet with amazing views over the city centre. Just outside of the hotel was the bus stop, which provided a 10 minute journey into Ediburgh town centre.
The breakfast provided a good range of cooked/cereal/fruit/toast and was brilliant for what we wanted.
Overall our experience was a very pleasant one.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed here on 1st November for an overnight stay. When we booked we asked for a castle view which is offered on the website by request. Were were allocated a room on the 1st floor after double checking that we had been given a castle view. (Whilst checking in when I asked about the time of breakfast and whether we had a castle view, the gentleman, murmered, "just wait madam," then proceeded to give me what was probably a rendition of his rehearsed script which he finished with breakfast times. It was clear that he was unable to respond to my spontaneous questions either through his own lack of ability to understand, speak or communicate in English other than deliver his script verbatim).

Nonetheless when we eagerly entered the room moments later, we expectantly hurried towards the window to see a wall of trees (very nice trees) but no view of the castle other than an occasional glimpse of an indistinguishable "something else".

The 4 of us trundled back down to reception with our luggage. "Erm we had requested a castle view when we booked and we can only see trees" we said to the same receptionist who was now moving his weight from one foot to the other. With virtually no dialogue, he pressed some keys on his computer keyboard and asked "you want smoking room?" to which I replied, "no as our children are both asthmatic and we specifically booked a non smoking room with a castle view." After further keyboard bashing the receptionist then scribbled a new number on our booking in card and we guessed that this was on the fourth floor. On entering the bedroom, the view was spectacular. A 180degrees panoramic view taking in the firth of forth, incholme, the lighthouse, city centre and the castle. Wonderful! Other than the view the room was identical to the first one! Why could we not have been given that room in the first place? There were other people staying on the same floor but it was by no means full of guests.

The bathroom was small but functional.

In the evening our son was feeling a little unwell so we decided to eat at the hotel bar for convenience. The veggie option my husband picked was not available prompting him to moan to me about how veggies always get a hard time on the hotel food front. We ordered two pepsis for the children which although on the bar menu, were not actually available from the bar. When they did get alternative drinks, they were flat with no fizz and we had to take them back, after which the barman (having tasted them himself and agreeing) replaced them with bottled cola. Ordering the food and drinks took quite some time as although the bar was reasonably empty, another group had been overcharged and the barmen (yes it took 2 of them to stop serving for 10 minutes and work out what one of them had done wrong) appeared to be trying to work out how to refund the money. Also an elderly couple next to us appeared to be on possibly their third replacement meal and there seemed to be lots of fawning apologies going on.

When we checked out the next day, we saw the only other couple in the bar that night, querying an over-charge on their bill.

Overall it was ok - bit disappointing in that some of the staff did not appear to speak or comprehend English (ok we were in Scotland) - but it was still rather irritating when the nature of the job requires at least a basic understanding of, and ability to respond, to dialogue with guests . We would stay again for the view and the price - £60 bed and breakfast for a family of 4 or £15 each per night.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank IngaSimp
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Stayed here for one night whilst organising a conference on-site. Room much better than expected - modern, clean, spacious and well above average for a Holiday Inn. Would happily stay here again and recomend it if you want a place out of the main city, but with views down the road of the Castle.

Staff pleasant, business faciltities good and on-site parking was free and easy. Only negative of the whole stay would be the service over dinner, which was terribly slow. We were a party of 8, but it took 2 1/2 hours for 3 courses and had to keep chasing the waiters. We also tried booking a table on arrival at 5pm, for 7.30pm, and the earliest sitting we could get was 8.20pm. And the restaurant wasn't even full.

Never mind - on the whole, a good stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2008

My son and I stayed here 8/8 thru 8/13. The good news is the hotel room was nice and spacious. The shower and bathroom were great. The bus runs about every 20-30 minutes outside the hotel into downtown. The bus stops running around 11:30 PM. So, be aware of this if seeing shows late into the evening. There is a shopping center across the street, but it closes early. Other that that, the hotel is in a residential area with virtually no restaurants. If you enjoy having a room in the center of town that you can return to for a midday nap, do not stay here. You shouldn't walk the 2-3 mile walk at night and wouldn't want to walk it during the day since there is nothing of interest to see. I booked the room off Priceline. I bid on a city center hotel and they gave me this hotel. It was located outside of their city center zone on the Priceline map but they would not refund my money. I endured multiple people from many nations telling me that it was in the city center despite what google maps said.
The day we checked out was the last day of our 26 day vacation thru Ireland, Wales and Scotland. We had stayed at 12 to 15 hotels and B&B's with absolutely no problems in any of them. However, the lucky streak came to an end at this Holiday Inn. I had dropped off a 3/4 full Holiday Inn bag of dirty clothes (i.e. t-shirts, underwear, socks) to be cleaned by their laundry service. I was not given a price or form to fill out and assumed it would be in line with what I had previously paid, about £10. At checkout, the receptionist told me I owed £70 or $140 for this small bag. I was flabbergasted. We had to be at the airport in about 30 minutes and the lady said she could do nothing about it. Needless to say, my trip home from this wonderful trip was ruined by the anger that welled up inside me for the next 14 hours of travel. I felt like I was robbed or scammed. The £6 or $12 charge for the local calls, that I made, seemed insignificant in comparison.
The manager refunded £35 and said no one else had ever complained about the laundry prices. £35, or $70, is still the most incredible laundry charge that I have ever heard of.
The take home lesson is that the hotel is a safe clean hotel to stay at, but do not use the phone or enter into any transaction with the hotel and open yourself to the possibility of having a fee levied against you.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank mrjaggers
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights. Room was ok maids done a good job with cleaning the room.
Had breakfast delivered to our room both mornings which was good . Bus stop outside hotel with regular buses into the city centre.
Staff were friendly. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank delm0nte
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Stayed here for four nights at the start of Edinburgh Fringe festival. Got a reasonably priced deal, with the hotel being slightly out of the city centre, but it's not too far out.

This hotel is in a nice area of Edinburgh, just about 2 miles from the Royal Mile. Lots of on-site parking and we got a decent sized double room on the fourth floor, with a view of the hills as opposed to the castle. We booked on a "room only" basis and ate out, so can't comment on the restaurant, but the bar area was pleasant enough.

In theory the buses into the centre are regular, but it's such a not a great service on a Sunday (as we discovered). It's not a long walk to Princes St if you have the time for a stroll, and there are some good shops to see along the way if you walk down Comely Bank.

Definitely worth a stay at this hotel if you want a good standard of bedroom but find the central city prices a bit too steep!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank ruthL36
Reviewed 27 July 2008

This hotel was located a couple of miles from the main sights of Edinburgh, and in fairness to the hotel, I got it through one of those "bidding" websites which called it "central." Maybe so, but it still required a cab or bus to get anywhere. The response from the people working at reception was usually less than warm, and I stood there for quite a while one morning until the woman deigned to acknolwedge me at all. Can't comment on breakfast, as it was not included in my room rate. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was mediocre. One night of my stay was very noisy with people going up and down the hall talking at the top of their voices. The next night there was a party with loud music going on right below my room in one of the function rooms. When I phoned to complain, I was told there was nothing could be done until the function was over. On the plus side, rooms have all the modern conveniences and comfortable beds.

Stayed: July 2008