“Great food something a little different”
Review of Mimi's Bakehouse

Mimi's Bakehouse
Ranked #3 of 34 Bakeries in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food something a little different”
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We went for breakfast last Saturday my wife had the French Toast with Bacon and Maple Syrup it was huge and tasted awesome.

I had the Full Breakfast which was also a good size portion and left me feeling pretty full and I like my food. It comes with tea and I chose earl grey and it was one of the best cups of tea I have ever had.

We desperately wanted to have some cake afterwards but just did not have enough room plus we saw another couple order and it seemed like you get almost a quarter of a cake.

The only downside was nothing to do with Mimi's but I managed to get a parking ticket in my desperation to get food.

• Greek first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Food and Fab Place!!!”
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Went to Mimi's with a friend for lunch one Saturday after a recomendation - definately worth the trip to The Shore. Had delicious lamb hotpot which was piping hot with large pieces of crusty bread with big pot of tea - just the warm up we needed with the terrible weather outside!! Even though we didn't really have room for cake....had to try some of the amazing looking cakes on offer - lemon drizzle was lovely! Good location close to the Water of Leith walkway - great idea to work up and appetite or work off the cake! Will definately be back soon!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A new Edinburgh institution!”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Just paid my second visit to Mimi's and was even more impressed than the first time. The time and money invested in this place is clear to see and has been worth every penny. I love the quirky but classy decor and even though it was a very busy lunchtime, every table was spotlessly clean. Despite being rushed off their feet, all staff were extremely friendly, pleasant and helpful, and knowledgable about the food. The food itself was delicious, the hotpot and stovies were perfectly cooked and the hefty portions well worth the money. As good as the lunches were, the cakes really steal the show - the chocolate espresso torte was out of this world, the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted. After that, it was hard to resist buying a box of cakes to take home. All in all, Mimi's Bakehouse is excellent and I'll be back time and time again (unfortunately for my waistline). I really hope it becomes an Edinburgh institution for years to come.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank EdinFan
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fabulous cakes, hotpots and stovies!”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

This place is a gem. I went along with a couple of colleagues today having waxed lyrical about Mimi's so many times. I was praying that it would live up to expectations and boy it didn't disappoint. I had a lovely pork and apple stovies - I was worried that it would be two sweet but it was just right. The stovies and the hotpots come in really cute little black pots. They're a bit like Dr Who's tardis in that they contain an amazing amount of food even though your initial impression is that they are small! The stovies came with oatcakes and nice fresh salad. You can't go here without trying the cakes which are amazing! I had a 'to die for' espresso and chocolate torte. WOW! Soooo nice! I even took some cakes back to work ... and had a Crunchie slice which was great! Mimi has a way of baking cakes/tray bakes that look like they should be really heavy but are actually amazingly light. This place is one of the few places were you go and really get blown away. The decor is humourous and kitsch - quite charming - and the staff lovely and attentive. I moved out of Leith a year ago but this bakehouse makes me want to return ASAP! One warning - If you are going on a Saturday or Sunday it's best to book. I've patiently waited in a queue for a table on a couple of occasions.

Visited February 2011
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere and fab food”
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I have now been twice. First time went for brunch and had the french toast which was perfect - slightly crispy on the outside and gooey in the middle, with tasty bacon and maple syrup. Second time had lunch of pork and apple stovies, followed by the lightest homemade victoria sponge ever. The staff are lovely. They seem genuinely proud of the place and eager to help. Will go back often.