“Great night, shame about the bully bouncers”
Review of Garibaldi's

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: New Town
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Great night, food & laughs with friends, but after going outside to meet my husband we were told by "bouncer in charge" that we were looking tired & should go for some food to sober up! Having told him that we r both teachers, working with irate children, we would never look refreshed & that I had eaten in the place only half an hour earlier was not enough for this "bouncer in charge" (also on a power trip) we decided enough was enough. I will be contacting the establishment tomorrow to speak to "someone who was REALLy in charge!" well done to u!!

4  Thank Jazoombo

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Was strolling along hanover street looking for food one evening, and the mexican dude encouraged us over so we looked at the menu and went in. And it was the best mexican, absolutely beautiful! Heard some dodgy stories about the nightlife in their but its good for a meal and a cocktail! Very impressed, need to go back again.

1  Thank MissJoolzx
Reviewed 8 October 2011

The best place to party much better than el barrio. Can't wait till November when this place is open till 3 again! Great mix of people, good music, fab drinks and not 2 mention the most handsome bar tender in edinburgh! Garriebaldies I love you!

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Another 'Favourite Haunt' of my associates - I have been to this establishment on at least a dozen occasions, pretty much on a monthly basis.

Until my recent visit, I would have rated this as a 'Very Good', but had to give it a 'Poor' rating for the following reasons:

1. My friend asked for a dish, on the menu that he almost always orders, and it was not available - okay - so he picks another one at a price of £7.95, at which point the Waiter spent 5 minutes trying to persuade my friend, why not to order this dish, and go for a more expensive, more inteersting one. That seems very unusual, given that if it was such a bad choice, why would they have it on the menu.

2. The Waiter -and for the purpose of the management I will describe him, as the blonde surfer looking guy, perhaps the only one who does not look mexican - This waiter, asked on 3 occasions whilst sipping a drink, whilst eating, if we were finished yet. Certainly felt hurried by this waiter.

3. At the end of dinner, since we turned down the offer of coffee's (but we did plan on having a margarita) - The waiter, turned up with bill, and told us to go to till and pay, as they had a booking due (seemed strange as only 3 of the 8 central tables were being used)

These 3 reasons, are good enough to rate it very low... However, what I will say, is the 'usual' staff on every other occasion have been helpful and friendly on every occasion. Also, the pitchers of Margarita, are probably the best you will taste in Edinburgh.

We have debated whether to return here for food, and as yet have not been back, but perhaps just for a Margarita we might return.

4  Thank JamzyW
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I went here for dinner on a sunday evening with a friend and was pleasently surprised! It wasn't very busy when we were there but from my student days i know to avoid this place on Friday or Saturday nights!
We shared some veggie nachos to start and these were lovely, not loaded with sour cream and bland salsa you find in some places but lots of yummy refried beans :)
I then had spicy chicken chimchangas, these were amazing!! The tortilla was nice and crisp but not at all greasy which ive had before. Portions were massive and I couldn't finish.
Best thing was definitely the mojitos made with dark rum, they were amazing, quite strong and very minty not too sweet the way I love em!
service was fine, nothing to fault or praise really.
Definitely will go back for a boozy dinner!

1  Thank Michaela_P86