“Terrible service and a rip off!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Regent Bar

The Regent Bar
Ranked #24 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Terrible service and a rip off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

I travel all over the UK for work, I spent the last 2 weeks in Edinburgh, we went to this pub after one hard day at work after 10 days of non stopping (12h/days), I invited the young girl who makes the coffees & teas at the office, a pint for her and half pint for me of shandy with stella (as I was driving), the guy put an amount in the till (£4 something?) but charged me a different amount by card, £8.30 for those 2 drinks!!! When I said, “Sorry how much for these?” pointing at the 2 drinks he just made in front of me, he said £8.30!, I didn’t want to embarrass myself , so I paid by card and asked for the receipt, he only gave me the card receipt and when I asked for the till receipt, he ignored me and served next person… I just thought “I don’t know the area and maybe this is an extremely overpriced pub!” (It’s not posh, and hardly clean but hey maybe this is what you paid for)
So I sat with my colleagues and have my drink, we only stayed for 20/30 mins and of course we wont go to that pub again!, we went to different ones, with normal prices, and jokingly I said to one of the bartenders in a lovely old pub (I cant remember the name) that I was charged over £8 for a pint and a half pint of shandy, and he just said “probably they just riped you off because you have a foreign accent!” (It’s true I have a foreign accent!, even if I’ve lived here 50% of my life!, but really???) Oh well… not putting my feet inside this pub again and in the office we have added this in to the list of “AVOID” (before it was only take away places!…)…

Don’t go, there are lots of lovely places in Edinburgh, this is not one of them!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Anna A

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very nice pub!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I warmly recommend this pub for all. Very good food(much veggie options), nice people and dogs, warm service! If You are near by, go in and enjoy the athmosphere!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Hanna T
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Uninterested”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Barman seemed distinctly uninterested in distracting himself from his gossipy conversation with his friends at the bar to serve me and partner. A cliquey feel certainly prevailed. Ales were well kept.

1 Thank Rupert K
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Perfect every time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

I have been coming to the Regent for a couple of years now. The place is just great! The food is well priced, and the quality and quantity is spot on. Like to try different drinks when I go and the staff are always happy to chat away and make you feel very comfortable.

I own a local B&B and send all my guests here for food and drinks! Not one has returned with a bad experience.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Dean M
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great pub, lovely atmosphere, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

I have been to Edinburgh many times in recent years to visit friends and for long weekends away. Every time I go, I make a special effort to visit The Regent, I have always found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. With guest ales, the staff offered to let me try a sample before buying a whole pint, which was nice to have the option offered to me rather than having to ask. I most recently went there in 2012 whilst on a stag do, there were 12 of us and everyone really enjoyed the informal friendly atmosphere, with great ales. A couple of the older members of the party really enjoyed the pub and the atmosphere, initially they were unaware it was a gay friendly pub until they were told; it’s nice that it’s not a typical 'gay bar'. The bar food, was served promptly, was reasonably priced, and very tasty, we all ordered different types of food, from Haggis, neeps and tatties to humous with pitta, no complaints at all! Can't wait for my next visit to Edinburgh, keep up the good work guys!

Visited April 2012