“Good food, friendly service”
Review of The Regent Bar

The Regent Bar
Ranked #26 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We wanted to have a local pub experience, and this pub was near where we were staying. Great choice! We enjoyed the food very much, more than in much more expensive restaurants. We don't drink ales, but they have ciders and we had some pear cider. We read elsewhere that this is a gay bar, and it even says that on a descriptor at the pub, but we are a straight couple and it didn't make any difference (we didn't really notice that it was a gay bar, I think the gay-friendly is a better descriptor).

All reviews
"scotland"
in 5 reviews
"pubs"

Reviewed 25 May 2013

I travel all over the UK for work, I spent the last 2 weeks in Edinburgh, we went to this pub after one hard day at work after 10 days of non stopping (12h/days), I invited the young girl who makes the coffees & teas at the office, a pint for her and half pint for me of shandy with stella (as I was driving), the guy put an amount in the till (£4 something?) but charged me a different amount by card, £8.30 for those 2 drinks!!! When I said, “Sorry how much for these?” pointing at the 2 drinks he just made in front of me, he said £8.30!, I didn’t want to embarrass myself , so I paid by card and asked for the receipt, he only gave me the card receipt and when I asked for the till receipt, he ignored me and served next person… I just thought “I don’t know the area and maybe this is an extremely overpriced pub!” (It’s not posh, and hardly clean but hey maybe this is what you paid for)
So I sat with my colleagues and have my drink, we only stayed for 20/30 mins and of course we wont go to that pub again!, we went to different ones, with normal prices, and jokingly I said to one of the bartenders in a lovely old pub (I cant remember the name) that I was charged over £8 for a pint and a half pint of shandy, and he just said “probably they just riped you off because you have a foreign accent!” (It’s true I have a foreign accent!, even if I’ve lived here 50% of my life!, but really???) Oh well… not putting my feet inside this pub again and in the office we have added this in to the list of “AVOID” (before it was only take away places!…)…

Don’t go, there are lots of lovely places in Edinburgh, this is not one of them!

2  Thank Anna A
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I warmly recommend this pub for all. Very good food(much veggie options), nice people and dogs, warm service! If You are near by, go in and enjoy the athmosphere!

2  Thank Hanna T
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Barman seemed distinctly uninterested in distracting himself from his gossipy conversation with his friends at the bar to serve me and partner. A cliquey feel certainly prevailed. Ales were well kept.

2  Thank VeggieEdinburgh
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I have been coming to the Regent for a couple of years now. The place is just great! The food is well priced, and the quality and quantity is spot on. Like to try different drinks when I go and the staff are always happy to chat away and make you feel very comfortable.

I own a local B&B and send all my guests here for food and drinks! Not one has returned with a bad experience.

1  Thank Dean M