“Lovely Friendly Pub” 4 of 5 bubbles

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Lovely Friendly Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

If you are not aware of the gay scene and don't know gay people, you probably won't notice: it's a gay pub... but here everyone is welcome - even your dog! (Water bowl and GENEROUS treats to the ready.)

The place is clean, cosy, comfy and nicely decorated.

Not just a pub for drinking bear: They serve a pretty decent coffee (with a biccie on the side) and delicious hot chocolate. The hot food menu is extensive, quick and delicious. If you have only coins in your pocket, you can still sit down to a beautifully presented bowl of soup with a roll. DO try the chilli!!!

A really decent and friendly place; we keep going back with friends, family, dogs...

Visited September 2013

NYC
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Good food, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We wanted to have a local pub experience, and this pub was near where we were staying. Great choice! We enjoyed the food very much, more than in much more expensive restaurants. We don't drink ales, but they have ciders and we had some pear cider. We read elsewhere that this is a gay bar, and it even says that on a descriptor at the pub, but we are a straight couple and it didn't make any difference (we didn't really notice that it was a gay bar, I think the gay-friendly is a better descriptor).

Visited October 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Terrible service and a rip off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

I travel all over the UK for work, I spent the last 2 weeks in Edinburgh, we went to this pub after one hard day at work after 10 days of non stopping (12h/days), I invited the young girl who makes the coffees & teas at the office, a pint for her and half pint for me of shandy with stella (as I was driving), the guy put an amount in the till (£4 something?) but charged me a different amount by card, £8.30 for those 2 drinks!!! When I said, “Sorry how much for these?” pointing at the 2 drinks he just made in front of me, he said £8.30!, I didn’t want to embarrass myself , so I paid by card and asked for the receipt, he only gave me the card receipt and when I asked for the till receipt, he ignored me and served next person… I just thought “I don’t know the area and maybe this is an extremely overpriced pub!” (It’s not posh, and hardly clean but hey maybe this is what you paid for)
So I sat with my colleagues and have my drink, we only stayed for 20/30 mins and of course we wont go to that pub again!, we went to different ones, with normal prices, and jokingly I said to one of the bartenders in a lovely old pub (I cant remember the name) that I was charged over £8 for a pint and a half pint of shandy, and he just said “probably they just riped you off because you have a foreign accent!” (It’s true I have a foreign accent!, even if I’ve lived here 50% of my life!, but really???) Oh well… not putting my feet inside this pub again and in the office we have added this in to the list of “AVOID” (before it was only take away places!…)…

Don’t go, there are lots of lovely places in Edinburgh, this is not one of them!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Anna A
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very nice pub!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I warmly recommend this pub for all. Very good food(much veggie options), nice people and dogs, warm service! If You are near by, go in and enjoy the athmosphere!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Hanna T
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Uninterested”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Barman seemed distinctly uninterested in distracting himself from his gossipy conversation with his friends at the bar to serve me and partner. A cliquey feel certainly prevailed. Ales were well kept.

1 Thank Rupert K