“Very Central”

Ranked #19 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Brisbane
“Very Central”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed for two nights. We arrived with our hire car at 17.45 to find the Hotel doesn't have any dedicated car parking. We parked in the street while unloading and checking in and considered that by 6pm we would be clear of parking wardens. Big mistake for when we went for a walk at 6.30 we found we'd already been hit with a £60 parking ticket.
The Hotel itself is of a very high standard and the room was very well appointed, nice big bed and bathroom.
We tried the restaurant attached to the hotel and wasn't so impressed. Soup of the day "cream of parsnip" mixed Vegetables with the main meal - sliced boiled parsnips and carrots. The Buyer had obviously bought a large quantity of parsnips cheap!

Overall we had a very pleasant stay at a Hotel which very nearly has views of the castle and a ten minute walk to Princes Street.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilandAliBrisbane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

There are a couple of reliable markers for a good hotel I reckon: Can they unprompted make a proper Club sandwich? Do they understand how to make a gin and tonic? Simple things perhaps, but get those right and as a general rule other things tend to fall into place. Another simple hotel benchmark is can they poach an egg at breakfast? And I mean properly poach - not with once of those gadgety poachy things but by using a spoon, a fresh egg, and a pan of water. I'm happy to report this hotel can. A sure sign they actually have standards unlike so many purely for profit driven hotel chains that want your cash but don't actually like you or want you to treat the place like a hotel. The City Hotel, part of the Best Western chain (I think) is really nice. Clean, well presented rooms, comfy bed and helpful staff. FREE HIGH SPEED INTERNET thank God which should be (and will be) standard for all hotels. If you run a large hotel chain and still charge people to get online the game is up my friends. The food's OK, but as you're in the middle of Edinburgh you might want to go out for dinner anyway. Decent breakfasts, although they need more staff in busy periods as my mental 'time and motion' study I conducted saw the poor lonesome waitress spend 90% of her time getting endless toast from the kitchen. Solution: Get a front of house toaster so people can help themselves. There is a bar there, but it's more of a gesture really, so no gin and tonic test. I'd go out for a drink if I were you. You are in Edinburgh after all.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights when I visited Edinburgh for international science festival with my 7 yr old daughter. This hotel is a short taxi ride from Edinburgh Waverly train station (approx £4-5). Our train arrived 7 am so we were in the hotel quite early in the morning but unfortunately our room was not ready for us to have an early check in. So we went to a local cafe for breakfast and when we came back our room was ready. The receptionist Sylvia was pleasant and helpful. Other staff were also pleasant.
My first impression of the room was good. I felt the room looked modern and spacious. The room had two separate tables with neatly arranged chairs. The bathroom was very nice too. The only thing missing from the room which I found a little surprising was a fridge and it should be looked into by the hotel management.

The restaurant is the biggest downfall of this hotel. I had dinner at the restaurant (Simpsons) on the first night. The choice of the food was very limited, although it has a kids' menu but again there is hardly anything to choose from. The standard of service was poor, there was only one waitress serving and she had to serve atleast 4 tables so obviously there were poorly understood orders and a gap of atleast 20-30 minutes before the appetizers were served followed by further delay of 40 min for the main course. My daughter ordered a cheese and tomato pizza and when it arrived I could not believe how badly it was made and served. The outer layer was completely burnt and it was burnt generally with crust gone hard. The pizza was not cut into pieces and because the crust had gone very hard my daughter found it impossible to cut. I had ordered a salmon steak which was nothing to write home about.
Over priced at £13.99 for 2 course and £16.99 for 3 course for one person this is a expensive for as bad as it gets food and service.
Next morning we had breakfast(which cost £7.0 if you let the reception know a day in advance and kids eat free but double check as it might have been a promotion of some sort at the time of our visit). After the dinner I had no expectation from it and therefore I found it a slightly better than the dinner itself both in terms of choices (continental, scottish, and hot cooked B/F) and price. However the service was slow as the night before. For 7 quid its not bad for an adult and a child. But for dinner I would certainly recommend to avoid this place at any cost. Just a short walk from the hotel (turn left from Lauriston place where this hotel is ) there are several places to eat including India, Chinese, Thai, Lebanese restaurants and also the usual KFC and Nando etc.

Over all not a bad hotel to stay but the food is a disappointment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Walsall
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Booked a short break just before Christmas. The location was perfect, Right in the middle of old town. Rooms were good quality, staff were friendly and the amenities were good. A short walk to a load of different restaurants and pubs. Would definitely go again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Playa Del Ingles, Spain
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We were pleased to be able to walk to Usher Hall and Princess Street without going up or down hills. With everything else quite close the location turned out to be very good. Rooms very nice. Pet complaint doors in most hotels could be better sealed (like in Switzerland) other wise bathroom etc. to a high standard. A small refrigerator would have been the only improvement. Wish I had tried the resturant in the hotel as I found eating out quite disappointing in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Perhaps rooms not on the street side. Okay but I would have enjoyed the traffic free zone outside.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here for one night on a deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast in a family room. The room was large, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Dinner, for the adults, was a bit of a disappointment. It took a long time to be served despite there only being 4 families in the restaurant (we were seated at 6.30pm and were not eating our main course until after 8pm) The fixed two course menu was limited. I ordered the salmon which was dry and without flavour, it was served with a very small portion of vegetables and potatoes. However, the children ate like kings, with three courses and large portions. If we stay again we would probably not opt for the diner as there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

Parking is a bit tricky there are only a handful of hotel parking spaces and the on street parking is £2 per hour.

Overall, however, a nice family friendly hotel with a good location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lizedd
Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

Very good city centre hotel. Spacious room, great location and nice breakfast.

Stayed March 2012