“short stay”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 August 2012

had one night stay with my partner had a great time hotel nice and quiet location but near enough to all bars and restaurants .Hotel very clean and staff are really nice and friendly .I went back again with my friends for an overnight stay and again had a great time 10 out of 10 for the staff again lovely and helpfull ...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear annielaff3,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and for writing such a wonderful review of your stay with us. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your first experience at our hotel and that you chose to book with us on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

This hotel was really very well situated. The staff was very helpful and our room was fine. We could park our car in a parkng garage near to the hotel and the city tour bus stopped within walking distance.We could also find a supermarket close by to buy food seeing that we didn't enjoy breakfast in the hotel. We stayed for two nights and it was worth every cent.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and our daughter stayed here for 3 nights. We had a lovely holiday while visiting this beautiful city. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The restaurant was fabulous! The distance to the old city and area attractions was very reasonable. Also, the public transportation bus system was very close.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear bongo770,

Thank you for your recent review. I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your family vacation to Edinburgh and that we were able to exceed your expectations as a hotel team. Your point about Edinburgh’s bus transportation system is an excellent one to share with other travellers: it links many key tourist destinations and all bus routes run regularly. The number 35 enables guests to take a bus from the airport to the Edinburgh City Hotel and also allows guests a link from the hotel to Holyrood and Ocean terminal.

Thank you again for your kind comments. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed here for 4 night, paying about £350 for bed and Scottish breakfast, in a twin room for 2 people. The staff were very helpful, and the room was very nice. (Stylish, clean, and comfortable.)
Location is the key here. The Castle is a ten-fifteen minute walk away. While the edinburgh Odeon Cinema is just around the corner. With plenty of shops and restaurants just down the road. The bus stops too, are only a 5 minute walk away. (A full day ticket on the bus is only £3.50- which will take you over to the Royal yacht Brittania.) However car parking is very limited. Breakfast...I must admit I prefer a buffet style cooked breakfast. But here you order your breakfast when seated. It was very good. And you could still help yourself to a small continental selection as well. (A very small selection, with fruit, cereals and an almost always empty plate of ham and cheese!) Coffee/tea/juice was self service. The hotel needs a self service toast machine, as the toast given out by the waiters was always cold and chewy.
Overall. A great little hotel. And the staff couldn't be more helpful .
P.S There is a free laptop safe in the room. But my 17in widescreen didn't quite fit. But at least there was Free Wifi.

Room Tip: If you come here without a breakfast deal. Then buy a £7 voucher from reception. Because the full br...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here for one night to attend a concert. I was a bit disappointed in the room . It had very little natural light and the lighting in the room was very dim . Quite depressing . The room was also very very hot , the window only opened an inch or so as it was stuck with paint. However the room was very clean and well stocked with the usual stuff. We ran out of milk and the staff quickly replaced for us. I We had a problem the next morning at breakfast though, we went down at 9.30 only to be told they were full up and could we go back in 15mins. We did this but on returning 15mins later , there was a queue of people waiting to be seated , very chaotic ! The receptionist on duty was very apologetic and offered us breakfast either in the reception area or sitting up at the bar ! We declined . After a further wait we were seated and I have to say when we eventually got our breakfast it was tasty and hot . So can't complain about that , also all the staff at the hotel were very friendly and cheery.
I have to say that I really can't recommend this hotel and won't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Dear escothesa,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful and you enjoyed your breakfast once you were able to sit to enjoy it. However, I was disappointed to read you experienced difficulties when you first came down for breakfast. I have been able to use your feedback to help our duty manager’s co-ordinate more effectively at breakfast when most guests come down in the last half hour of service: so thank you for your feedback.

If you have the time I would be grateful if you could e-mail me to let me know which room you stayed in so that I can try and address the other points you made.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here last week and were very impressed by the standards of the hotel as well as the staff. We arrived way too early for our check-in time, damn flights :) and waited a bit in the lobby until a lovely girl called Silvia gave us another free room. The room was extremely comfortable and so was the bed. Edinburgh City Hotel made our trip that more enjoyable. Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear Keith D,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I was delighted to read how much you liked our hotel and that we were able to make your visit to Edinburgh that bit more enjoyable. I have shared your feedback with Sylvia and she was really pleased to know that she made such a positive impact on your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Lovely clean spacious room (we stayed in 310) very friendly staff happy to share local knowledge. Good location. Would definitely stay here again!!