Edinburgh City Hotel
US$221
US$125
Travelocity
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$131
Waldorf Astoria
US$213
US$206
  • Pool
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$130
1,367 results
All reviewsmaternity hospitalroyal milelauriston placeminute walkgrassmarket arealothian roadlovely hotelgrass marketwithin walking distancewould definitely stay here againfamily roomlarge roomstayed here for nightsprinces streetedinburgh citymain attractionswould highly recommend this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed for a weekend and would return. The hotel is a good 5 min walk to Grass Market and far enough away from the hussle.
I have to admit from the outside the hotel doesn't look spectacular.
Good breakfast in a morning.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Craigdealty14
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Had to go to Edinburgh on unplanned business and had to find a hotel at short notice. It was the Edinburgh Festival and so hotels were booked up and those that were left were expensive.
The Edinburgh City Hotel is a good 3-star hotel close to the centre. The room I had (403) is on the 2nd floor (go figure) and was large floor area with bath/shower room. Bed was large but very hard and strangely offset from the wall mounted television. Not a bad nights sleep even though the room has no air conditioning and it was a hot and steamy night.
I have to say that the front of house staff are brilliant; they helped with Fringe arrangements and David (missed his surname) had a fantastic customer approach.
All all a good visit and next ime I will either miss the Fringe time altogether or book much earlier.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave W
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Dave W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. It is always nice to read when a guest has enjoyed their stay and found our team to be helpful and friendly, as that is always our aim.

It would be great to be able to welcome you back at any time of the year.

Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend were returning from Paris where we were subjected to a 6 hour Delay.
On Finally returning to Edinburgh we had missed our trains to Aberdeen and with no more that evening we were stranded.
The Tattoo and the festival were both on and we knew the chances of getting any kind of room was at least minimal.
Frantically ringing around we managed to make a booking for that evening at this hotel.
We arrived at 2 am to a very polite welcome from the French manager on Duty. We felt completely happy that some one was this jovial and welcoming which changed our moods instantly. We were offered refreshments and conversation which was very pleasing.
We stay in lots of hotels in Europe and we both have to agree that this room was by far the loveliest we have stayed in , very very clean, loads of pillars , bath and shower.
The morning breakfast far exceeded our expectations also, food and restaurant were superb.
I would highly recommend this hotel to any one
Thanks so much
Ricky and Sarah

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank rickya70
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Ricky A,

Thank you for your lovely comments and for taking the time to commend Laurent for the service he offered when you arrived. I was delighted to read he was able to bring a smile to your faces after such long day of travels, but this is simply his normal manner: always helpful and positive.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding your room and breakfast, and for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users. I hope you had a great time on the rest of your travels in Aberdeen and Scotland.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel was very clean and comfortable for the most part. Unfortunately, I barely slept on any of our 3 nights there due to big vehicle traffic noise on Lauriston Place road --- even with wearing earplugs. There is no air conditioning and there was no way we could tolerate having the window open due to the traffic noise that continues through most of the night. Air conditioning would have been very helpful in providing some white noise as well. I'm not able to recommend this hotel for that reason.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Bugmum,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay. Naturally I was disappointed to read that you were not able to enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep and that this resulted in you not wishing to recommend us to others. We do have secondary glazing in all our rooms to minimize any noise disruption and I have myself stayed in a road facing room and was not disrupted by noise. However, I appreciate that everyone has different levels of comfort and that the city is considerably busier and noisier during the festival. Given that you stayed with us for 3 nights I would have preferred for you to have alerted us whilst you were in the hotel so that we could have had the opportunity to move you room to one that you would have considered quieter, and enjoyed a better night’s sleep. Similarly, if you had said to us that you were feeling too hot in your room we could have provided a fan. Unfortunately because our hotel is a listed building we are not in a position to make the structural changes necessary to add air conditioning to all our rooms.

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am sorry you were not able to enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just wanted to say that we spent a total of 7 days at the Edinburgh City Hotel and it was an excellent experience. The staff were helpful and courteous. Caroline and the hotel manager were wonderful. Staying in the neighborhood where my mother grew up was amazing. I was able to walk the streets and really get a feel for the city. It was so close to everything and the bus was right outside the door. I will be back. Thank you for your gracious hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oregontraveler46
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Oregontraveler46,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for 7 days and for taking the time to write such kind feedback. It was our pleasure to be able to look after during your stay and I was very pleased to read that everything was to your satisfaction. I will be sure to pass on your great feedback to our team.

Hopefully, if you ever return to Edinburgh, we will be able to welcome back.