“Central”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel as had read about it's location and we were only there for a night so wanted to be close to everything. The hotel is very clean and also very central as you can walk into Princes Street for shopping and it takes about ten to 15 minutes. The checkout time for the hotel is 11am but when we asked after being out the receptionist said you can checkout for 12pm and there is no fee for this which was a bonus. We did the Edinburgh dungeons on Saturday but that wasn't very good and not worth the price (£16pp). They also don't tell you that it isn't suitable for people with epilepsy or pregnant people which is unfair as you have paid the price but need to miss out on certain things. On Saturday night we went to a Nepalese restaurant across from a pub called "Doctors" which was delicious and not too expensive. We went to the Hard Rock Café today and the food there was lovely so would recommend that. All in all we had a good weekend and from the hotel we could walk to various different parts of the city so would stay here if I came back and it is very reasonably priced!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Crystal K,

Thank you for your review. I am glad we were able to provide the right base for you at a good price to explore Edinburgh with your boyfriend, and it looks like you had a great time with the exclusion of the dungeons. We are extremely lucky that our hotel is situated within an easy walk of many of the key tourist attractions, so thank you for choosing to stay with us because of the other positive reviews you had read about our location.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

On the basis of the good reviews on here and the location we booked a stay for two nights in a double room, with breakfast.

On arrival, we had a little hiccough in that they could not find our booking... but that was sorted reasonably quickly. Our daughter has a dairy allergy, so needed some food to be stored. The staff were accommodating and helpful with this.

The room was nice. Modern, clean and spacious. Unfortunately it wasn't actually a double. It was set up as a double, but on the night we found out it was actually a twin with the two beds pushed together and topped with the bedding for a double... not exactly comfortable when the beds aren't identical and not perfectly level. We probably should have complained at the time and got moved or a refund, but our daughter had been stung on the train up and was having a hard time of it - we didn't really have the energy.

The room and the hotel in general were clean and well kept. The staff were good in general (with the expected couple of unhappy ones). Free wifi worked well.

The restaurant, if you can call it that, is atrocious. I'm sure the response will be that everywhere has an off night, but the problem is basic. The food is described on the website with the following: "All dishes are prepared and cooked to order using the finest fresh local produce!". This is simply not accurate. For example, I ordered the haddock and chips. The haddock was ok, but I would suggest that it was not prepared on the premises. The peas were definitely from frozen, they were freezer burnt so actually still looked frozen despite being hot. The chips were dire. Certainly not home made and were poor quality. I pretty much just ate the fish. Even my young daughter wasn't interested in the chips, and that says something. My starter was chicken wings, which were ok. The dessert was fine, but again it seemed like something you'd buy in.

My partner had a game terrine to start, which was oddly flavoured (reminiscent of Chinese five spice), followed by a burger. The burger was the standard stuff. It came with a chilli jam, which she found to be less than palatable. Her dessert was nice, except the sauce was just a squiggle on the plate rather than an actual portion.

We weren't expecting much, we'd only eaten in the hotel because we'd run out of time to get somewhere else sorted out, but for the money it really was not good value. We would have been better going to the novatel or premier inn up the road.

Breakfast was good, apart from a lack of croissants the second day. We did ask if any more were coming out... they did, but were snapped up because everyone else had also been waiting on them.

Checkout was handled well, and there was a room available to store luggage until later.

If you took the restaurant out of the equation, I'd probably rate the place average. With a real double bed, perhaps very good or excellent even. I guess that most visitors don't use the restaurant on an evening, it certainly was empty when we were there, so the high overall rating achieved relates to the accommodation only. I'd certainly keep that in mind if I were going to visit again.

Room Tip: If you're booking a double, ask if it is a double and not a converted twin.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Dav3-E,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and naturally I was disappointed to read that we were not able to live up to the many good reviews left by other TripAdvisor users. I think it is important for me to point out that we do prepare all our food in the hotel and our products are delivered to our hotel fresh from quality local suppliers. However, I can appreciate that if you had actually enjoyed your meal you would not have felt the need to suggest otherwise. Our chef and I will be changing our market menu at the end of this month so we will take all your feedback on board when discussing new options. With regard to the discomfort you experienced with the bed in your room: 12 out of our 14 superior family rooms are king size zip and link beds so that we have the flexibility to either make the room as a triple (with sofa bed), a twin or a king size double when the mattresses are zipped together and the bases linked together; the other 2 are queen size double beds. I am very sorry that our zip and link beds (a concept which is used by many hotels around the world, especially by smaller hotels like us with only 52 rooms) caused you any discomfort. We would have been happy to move you to another room if you had mentioned to us when you were in the hotel. Similarly if you had mentioned during or after dinner you were not happy with the quality of your dining experience it would have given us the opportunity to correct things there and then and it may have led to you having a more enjoyable experience overall – which is all we want for our guests when they come to stay with us.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel in an excellent position to the castle and Princess street. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were comfortable and clean. We will definatly stay here again next time we visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Ladylee123
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed for a weekend and would return. The hotel is a good 5 min walk to Grass Market and far enough away from the hussle.
I have to admit from the outside the hotel doesn't look spectacular.
Good breakfast in a morning.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Halew
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Had to go to Edinburgh on unplanned business and had to find a hotel at short notice. It was the Edinburgh Festival and so hotels were booked up and those that were left were expensive.
The Edinburgh City Hotel is a good 3-star hotel close to the centre. The room I had (403) is on the 2nd floor (go figure) and was large floor area with bath/shower room. Bed was large but very hard and strangely offset from the wall mounted television. Not a bad nights sleep even though the room has no air conditioning and it was a hot and steamy night.
I have to say that the front of house staff are brilliant; they helped with Fringe arrangements and David (missed his surname) had a fantastic customer approach.
All all a good visit and next ime I will either miss the Fringe time altogether or book much earlier.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave W

Dear Dave W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. It is always nice to read when a guest has enjoyed their stay and found our team to be helpful and friendly, as that is always our aim.

It would be great to be able to welcome you back at any time of the year.

Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend were returning from Paris where we were subjected to a 6 hour Delay.
On Finally returning to Edinburgh we had missed our trains to Aberdeen and with no more that evening we were stranded.
The Tattoo and the festival were both on and we knew the chances of getting any kind of room was at least minimal.
Frantically ringing around we managed to make a booking for that evening at this hotel.
We arrived at 2 am to a very polite welcome from the French manager on Duty. We felt completely happy that some one was this jovial and welcoming which changed our moods instantly. We were offered refreshments and conversation which was very pleasing.
We stay in lots of hotels in Europe and we both have to agree that this room was by far the loveliest we have stayed in , very very clean, loads of pillars , bath and shower.
The morning breakfast far exceeded our expectations also, food and restaurant were superb.
I would highly recommend this hotel to any one
Thanks so much
Ricky and Sarah

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank rickya70
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Ricky A,

Thank you for your lovely comments and for taking the time to commend Laurent for the service he offered when you arrived. I was delighted to read he was able to bring a smile to your faces after such long day of travels, but this is simply his normal manner: always helpful and positive.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding your room and breakfast, and for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users. I hope you had a great time on the rest of your travels in Aberdeen and Scotland.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel was very clean and comfortable for the most part. Unfortunately, I barely slept on any of our 3 nights there due to big vehicle traffic noise on Lauriston Place road --- even with wearing earplugs. There is no air conditioning and there was no way we could tolerate having the window open due to the traffic noise that continues through most of the night. Air conditioning would have been very helpful in providing some white noise as well. I'm not able to recommend this hotel for that reason.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Bugmum,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay. Naturally I was disappointed to read that you were not able to enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep and that this resulted in you not wishing to recommend us to others. We do have secondary glazing in all our rooms to minimize any noise disruption and I have myself stayed in a road facing room and was not disrupted by noise. However, I appreciate that everyone has different levels of comfort and that the city is considerably busier and noisier during the festival. Given that you stayed with us for 3 nights I would have preferred for you to have alerted us whilst you were in the hotel so that we could have had the opportunity to move you room to one that you would have considered quieter, and enjoyed a better night’s sleep. Similarly, if you had said to us that you were feeling too hot in your room we could have provided a fan. Unfortunately because our hotel is a listed building we are not in a position to make the structural changes necessary to add air conditioning to all our rooms.

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am sorry you were not able to enjoy your stay with us.