“Good location, nice hotel”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 September 2013

When looking for a suitable place to stay in Edinburgh that ticked all the usual boxes (central location, reasonable price, close to decent nightlife!) we first considered the usual well know big brand chains hotels. However , coming across the Edinburgh City Hotel it stood out because of the charming historic building it’s located in but with a modern interior.

Tick box 1: The location was great. On a quiet street only 10 minutes from the Royal Mile, about 15 minute walk from Waverly Station where we arrived and 5-10 minutes from Grassmarket with its pubs and restaurants. It was also about 10-15 minutes in a taxi to Edinburgh Zoo. There’s a handy Sainsbury’s located just around the corner from the hotel, and a lovely Turkish place where we went for breakfast most mornings. Tick box 2: Reasonable for a centrally located 3 star hotel. The budget chain hotels we looked at first were about £25 cheaper per night, however we decided to pay slightly more but got this more personal and quirky hotel. Tick box 3: Nightlife. We enjoyed a drink at the Grassmarket every night of our stay, and on a Saturday when the pubs shut about one-ish, it’s only a short walk onwards to Cowgate, where the party goes on to much later!

We stayed in two different rooms during our stay. A room tip: Don’t stay in room 105 if you’re a light sleeper. Or, just if you want any sleep at all. This was our first room was located right next to the reception and bar on the ground floor, which did cause some noise issues on the first night with a hen do keeping us up till the wee hours. We complained at 3am and the hen do was asked to move on. The next day we were moved without question to a different room on the first floor, which proved a quiet haven! Even though there were still parties in the bar we couldn’t hear them at all from our new room. The staff were very friendly and accommodation and did their best to help with our noise complaints, and did everything they could to fix the problem.

The rooms were a decent size, clean and with a nice modern decor. The shower was very good also. Despite the issues on the first night the rest of our stay was great. Would be happy to book again (providing we're not on the ground floor! :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elisa_19846
Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have the impression that things have greatly improved at this hotel from reading old reviews (first time for a very long time that I did not check this hotel out on Trip Advisor prior to my visit – short notice and just one night!).

Excellent service at the front desk throughout my short stay – the receptionist was very helpful – well done!!

Room was very clean, well-appointed and excellent value for the rate I received. The bathroom was likewise, but I am afraid that shower curtains are rather old hat now (BUT it was clean!). A really bonus (for the room) was a big screen Samsung TV – excellent considering I was not out and about in the evening! The room was facing the road – it was cool evening so no need to have windows open – however I would think that in the height of summer the room must get very hot and being close to the road I would think very noisy (however on this occasion not much of a problem). If staying again, I would ask for room away from the road.

Though I know Edinburgh very well I decided not to venture out for my evening meal (I don’t normally eat my evening meal in a hotel). The meal was probably slightly overpriced for what it was (soup, burger, crème brule); but OK, with again very pleasant service. Breakfast was cooked to order and was included in the price of my stay (OK but very limited).

Another big bonus was free WiFi that actually worked in my room and from what I could see across the whole hotel (so often it is advertised as free WiFi only to find that signal strength was a major problem).

All in all excellent value for money!

Oh - did see as I was leaving that for £20 they offer an upgrade, I probably would have taken this up if I had seen it earlier in my stay ie on check in! Maybe there were no upgrades available, but just something I noticed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M1BDA
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed here in August for the Edingburgh Tattoo. The hotel is in a good location being a nice 10 minute walk into the city centre. We had a family room which was spacious. The breakfast was very good and all staff were polite and courteous. We had no issues with noise, our room was over the entrance. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LPJR
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear LPJR,

Thank you for your feedback after staying with us during August. I will be very happy to pass on your kind words to the rest of our team and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

The hotel is located in a lovely old building, in a very good area of Edinburgh. It's close to all main tourist attractions, but it is still in a quiet area, where parking place is easily available. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the restaurant was nice.
Only drawback: our room was very small. Otherwise everything was great, and we enjoyed our stay there a lot.

Room Tip: I don't know! Our room was very small; can it get any smaller?
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rebecca_schurtz
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here with the other half for a long weekend during the recent bank holiday.. You will not be disappointed.. The hotel is clean, staff friendly, location great.. Had an excellent weekend away exploring Edinburgh with the perfect hotel to rest in after a long day..

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MidlandMuncher
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear MidlandMuncher,

Thank you for being kind enough to leave such a glowing review following your long weekend break at our hotel: your kind words and your recommendation are much appreciated by the team and I.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel was originally a Maternity Hospital, purchased and refurbished by the Portland chain. In our opinion they have done an amazing job as the room we had was very clean and very quiet. Tastefully decorated with muted colors and containing most essentials although a tiny fridge might have been nice. I also noticed that there was no blow dryer in the bath but am wondering if they would supply one if asked. The staff were excellent, helpful, very courteous and conscientious. The breakfast was excellent as you had a choice of Continental or a Hot breakfast. Location was quite good as we took the city bus to get to Waverly Bridge and it dropped us off very close. Bus fare is 1.50 per person (pounds Sterling). Bearing in mind the value of the pound, we thought it was decent value for the money. Our room was on the first floor so we did not have much of a view but did not spend a lot of time in our room. Finding a decent place to eat was a bit of a challenge as every possibility seemed to be a "take away" but we managed and the hotel restaurant is quite good. Would not hesitate to go there again.

Room Tip: We had the feeling all rooms would be quiet because the walls are thick and built of stone.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wilma T

Dear Wilma T,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel after staying with us this month! We are very lucky to work in a historic building and for a company that has invested a considerable amount of money over the last 4 years to make our hotel an excellent 3 star property, so it is great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I will also take great delight in passing on your feedback to our team as I am sure they will be thrilled to hear how much of a positive impact they had on your visit to Edinburgh.

Thank you for your recommendation and hopefully we can welcome you back should you travel to Scotland again.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel is about five to ten minutes away from bars etc which is a blessing at bedtime being in a nice quiet little street. I love the beds at this hotel and their sister hotel in Perth you get a great nights sleep. The staff are all very helpful and very pleasant. The breakfast and dinners are fabulous. We had room 307 which was lovely and cosy. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear magsrfc,

Thank you for your lovely review. I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us and that you have also had a very enjoyable experience at one of the other hotels in our group, the Huntingtower Hotel.

Thank you for your recommendation and hopefully we can welcome you back one day soon.