“Weekend away with friends”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #17 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We booked the city hotel for our trip to Edinburgh to watch Scotland v Australia rugby game. The hotel is in a quiet area of Edinburgh but still convenient for all the attractions . We booked two double rooms which were spotlessly clean and a good size . We arrived early however we were able to book in to our rooms to leave our luggage before joining the many rugby fans en route for Murrayfield . The reception staff were able to guide us to the restuarant we had booked for lunch and offered to book taxis for us .
The hotel is within walking distance of the castle approx 20 mins , well worth the walk as you pass different historic points on Edinburgh you might miss in a taxi.
We would certainly use the hotel again and would recommend to friends and family .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Scottishtraveller96,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after booking to stay with us whilst your visited Edinburgh to see the Scotland v Australia match. I was really pleased to read that you found all aspects of your stay enjoyable and I hope you had a lot of fun at Murrayfield with your friends too.

Many thanks for your recommendation and hopefully we can welcome you back.

manager@edinburghcityhotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,350)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Never having been to Edinburgh before I didn't know where to stay. After looking on Tripadvisor I picked this hotel and I'm glad I did. The staff were lovely. The hotel really clean and cosy not like some of the chains which can be a bit impersonal . It was nice to go to a hotel where you got special attention. Breakfast order was taken and cooked there and then. I took the porridge one morning and it was delicious. You could have a fry, eggs done any way. The cereals juice and continental were all laid out so you could help yourself. It was really central handy for grassmarket and the castle but also not that far from princess Street. The only small issue I had was the room had quite dim lighting. Normally this wouldn't matter in the summer. I spoke to someone in reception and he showed me some other rooms and let me change to one with brighter lighting. He couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel which helped to make my experience of Edinburgh very pleasurable.

Dear RAINBOW1LO,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of our hotel after staying with us on your anniversary. I was delighted to read that you booked to stay with us having read other positive reviews, and that we were able to meet your expectations for an important anniversary break! I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all our team. With regards to the lighting in the rooms: we do try and be as green as we can and use energy efficient light bulbs but I will review our rooms with our maintenance manager to make sure there is enough bright light for our guests. I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for your recommendation and for writing a thorough and balanced review that will hopefully prove useful to other TripAdvisor users.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Visited Edinburgh as a birthday treat from my husband. I must say we were thrilled with the Edinburgh City Hotel. It's based very central to all of the attractions of this lovely city and as previous posters have said is beautifully clean and very comfortable. The staff were all so friendly from Housekeeping to the Receptionists and General Manager, Mr Crosby, who must have come top of the class in hotel management - he was so pleasant and attentive and up-graded us as a birthday gift (with chocs too) and later recommended and booked for us his favourite Italian restaurant. All in all this is a perfect hotel with perfect staff in a perfect city and would highly recommend!

1  Thank travellinglight_11
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Travellinglight_11,

Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation! It is always a great pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests, but I am just glad we were able to look after you on such a special birthday trip.

Hopefully we can also welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We arrived about 10am, lovely receptionist put our luggage into storage and we went off exploring! Came back late afternoon, moved into our room.....it was lovely! Very nicely decorated and cosy. Had dinner in the hotel, couldn't fault it for the price (3 courses for 15.99 each). Breakfast was just as nice. Bed was comfy, bathroom spotless. All staff very friendly and efficient. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Will stay here again if I ever go back to Edinburgh.

1  Thank gavsgal
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is a lovely hotel just outside the city centre and within easy walking distance of Edinburgh's attractions. Although the hotel was superbly clean and nicely decorated, the restaurant meals lovely and the breakfast excellent what made our stay was the friendliness of the staff. They were always on hand to give advice or help or just for a friendly conversation in the bar . We would definitely recommend this hotel and if we return to Edinburgh we will certainly book again.

Dear GaryCrosby,

Thank you for leaving a 5 star review after staying with us this November. I was delighted to read that our team really made your vacation in Edinburgh memorable for the right reasons and I will be sure to pass on your lovely feedback to them.

Many thanks for your recommendation.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here in March this year for 3 nights for my boyfriends birthday. I could honestly not fault this hotel. We arrived to be told that we had been upgraded (slippers, bath robes, chocolates, crisps and wines) which was brought up, chilled when I asked for it. The hotel is within 10-15 mins walk from Princes Street. Breakfast is excellent, you can ask for room service by putting out your order on the door the night before, for no extra charge. We used it 3 mornings and it never failed! We will defiently use this hotel if we stay in Edinburgh again!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights at the start of November this year. Cute hotel, warm and comfortable though the room was small. We had room service one night and the food was really nice. Staff were friendly. Location is not bad, but prepare for some long walks to some of the tourist attractions.

• Stayed: November 2013