“Great room rates during Rugby event”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #17 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here when in Edinburgh for a dismal England v Scotland rugby match at Murrayfield. Hotel was the only one in Edinburgh with sensible pricing that hadn't been over inflated to rip off rugby fans - room was very nice and bar was a good laugh. Parking would have been an issue but managed to get the sole disabled space as travelling with my father. Location is ok, although would have preferred a more central location as we were eating and drinking in Edinburgh centre, but for the money paid it was fine.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Jim S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback having stayed with us over the 6 nation’s rugby this year. It was great to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us even though the rugby was a bit of a let down in terms of Scotland’s performance. It was also very pleasing to read that you felt you received value for money during such a busy weekend in Edinburgh: we conduct a lot of market research each day to make sure we are priced correctly whilst trying to offer value for the product we present to our guests.

Hopefully the ten minute walk to Princes Street doesn’t put you off booking with us again next year and we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back!

manager@edinburghcityhotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,350)

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and found the location ideal for exploring Edinburgh by foot. Just west of the hotel we found some good restaurants. The room (413) was small and had a soft double bed - too soft for our taste. The bathroom had a strange layout but featured a bathtub. The room has leaning walls with one window. Even though traffic was noise in daytime we had two quiet nights there. The size of the room didn't bothered us at all. The breakfast has potential, it surely isn't bad, but somehow we weren't lucky with it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Edinburgh was our first stop on our trip to Scotland and we could not have had a friendlier and more welcoming introduction to the country than this hotel. We were warmly greeted and throughout our stay the staff were most accommodating and helpful. They were very kind to us and our 4 year old daughter, particularly Anne on the front desk. The included breakfast was very generous. My only comment is that the beds were very hard. So, if like me, you have a bad back, you might find if difficult to get a comfortable night's sleep. But, in saying that, I would still recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Room 207 was very comfortable for our 3 night stay, twin beds, sofa, large bathroom, strong wifi, good tv and a window overlooking the outside back parking lot so their can be some noise as guests come and go but there are no rooms on either side so there is no adjoining room noise and tehre is no street noise. Location was good- about a 20 minute walk to the castle - lots of restaurants right around the corner (a great spanish one) and a number of pubs and a grocery store within a 5 -10 minute walk. Did not use any of the hotels ameneties so cannot comment

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Used this hotel as the home base for family and friends traveling to Edinburgh for my wedding in March. My husband and I stayed for the weekend as well. I cannot say enough good things about Edinburgh City Hotel! Our contact, Nicola, kept in touch with me throughout the whole reserving rooms/booking process, letting me know who of my guests had booked, arranging a group breakfast for us, etc. They did an amazing job of accommodating 30+ people, and there was not a single issue that came up that they did not immediately find a solution for! Additionally, the staff was so friendly and supportive, as this photo clearly expresses!

Would recommend them to anyone visiting EDI!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Marisa R,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review of our hotel. It was a pleasure being able to look after you and your friends over such a special weekend and we are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will also be sure to pass on your thanks to Nicola.

I hope you had a wonderful honeymoon and that we can welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

After coming from London, the rooms at this hotel were HUGE! I couldn't believe the size of it, especially in Europe!! Everything was very good ~ the hotel is very clean and in a great location. The only issue I had is that while I am not overly tall, I was unfortunately longer than the bed (crazy, right?!). Even still, I would definitely stay here again and thought that the charm of the building may it worth it right from the get go!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I went to Edinburgh for our anniversary weekend and stayed at the Edinburgh City Hotel. The location was fantastic, walking distance from Haymarket station and good walking distance to the activity in the grassmarket and plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. As it was a nice day we decided to walk up Arthurs seat, Marie-Anne on reception was helpful in showing us on a map how to get there, which was great.
On our way to our room we enjoyed looking at and reading the stories behind the photos in the hallway telling the story of it being an old maternity hospital. It was a really nice touch, showing the history of the building.
At breakfast the next morning Bartek kindly explained to us the way the breakfast worked with the continental and full breakfast options and showing us our seats. I loved the decor in the restaurant area!
All the staff went above and beyond to help people and I found the fact that they all spoke different languages proved very helpful. Whilst we didn't need it, being from Glasgow, it was clearly useful to other non-English speaking guests. They were happily conversing in French to explain to a large French party the breakfast set up and then in Spanish to remind a Spanish lady not to forget her handbag.
The rooms are very nicely decorated, good storage space in the large wardrobes. The bathrooms were also nicely finished. Overall everything was very clean which is always the most important part of a hotel stay for me, so that was great.
Overall we had a fantastic time. Great value for money and great location. We will definitely be returning next year when we are in Edinburgh for a friends wedding weekend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marzzie18
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Marzzie18,

Thank you for the lovely comments. It was a nice review to read and feed back to the team to highlight all the positive things they do in the hotel for guests and I appreciate you taking the time to emphasize these and to point out the excellent service you received from Marianne and Bartek.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back next year.