“Excellent staff but disappointing room”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #19 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Excellent staff but disappointing room”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We have just returned home following a stay at the Edinburgh City during a visit to the Edinburgh Festival. We had booked a total of 3 rooms for our stay.(two standard and a superior room) for the 5 of us. Each room was on a seperate floor (not a problem) but it did allow us to compare the rooms and types. The two standard rooms were spacious with seating areas and provided a good standard of accomodation. The superior room (on the 4th floor) had been recently decorated but was small (attic room) with little natural light (two small attic windows), no seating area and a lack of water pressure in the bathroom made it impossible to run a full bath. Compared with the two standard rooms it was a disappointment especially as it was a higher rate of room. When staff at reception were approached they stated that a superior room was simply a room that had recently been refurbished but understood our issue with the room and reduced the rate accordingly. We can obviously only comment on the superior room we were allocated but we would advise others who are not satisfied with their superior room to let the hotel know. We found the rest of our stay at this hotel to be very good with pleasant,helpfull and attentive staff. The location of the hotel is within easy walking distance of all the places of interest.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

A dress of mine was damaged in my room and the person(s) who did this tried to conceal the damage by removing a handful of beads that was part of my neck tie from the room. By doing this I was no longer able to fix the dress and it is now un-wearable.

I complained to reception staff who smiled and nodded and only when pushed did they offer to get a supervisor. The supervisor listened to me, promised a investigation. No one admitted responsibility for the damage and this was where the hotel staff appeared to be leaving the issue. Again when forced they offered money off my next stay and that they would send the details to me by e mail. Several weeks on and nothing.

As if that wasn't enough I checked my receipt to find that I had not stayed there at all but my female room mate had shared the room with a male friend of ours. The hotel staff did not seem to understand the importance of our other half's seeing this 'evidence' when we got home telling us that the names didn't matter. Again by sheer force of will the hotel staff relented and issued us with corrected receipts about an three quarters of an hour after the problem had first been reported. Thankfully we were waiting at the hotel for a transfer otherwise I would have been even less impressed if that is possible.

Had the hotel have given just a little bit of effort to try and fix these issues I wouldn't have bothered writing this review as it is I'm annoyed, more fool them.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank sticks80
ManagerEdCity, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
Dear Sticks80,

Thank you for taking to give us some feedback following your recent stay in Edinburgh. I have now investigated with all the Duty Managers and Receptionists and we have no record of this incident happening at The Best Western Edinburgh City Hotel. I would be very grateful if you could please contact me directly on 0131 6227979 in order to discuss further. Thank you,

Carolyn Le Goff
London
Reviewed 27 July 2010

For a single night's stay in central Edinburgh, I was impressed with the Best Western Edinburgh City hotel. I'm not usually a fan of Best Westerns (previous ones I've stayed in have been noisy and chintzy) but this one was an exception.

The room they gave me was spacious with an adjoining small living room. Both rooms had a flat screen TV and giant windows. It was very nice to have such a big, well-presented room, and a shame that it was only for a single night (I arrived after 9pm and had to leave at 8.30!)

I imagine that at weekends it might be busier with tourists and groups of friends, which could make it noisier, but I certainly slept well the night I was there.

Breakfast was a little lacklustre, as in any chain hotel, but altogether it was clean, central, spacious and reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Over the years I've stayed in several Edinburgh hotels; Sheraton, Novotel, The Caledonian, The George, to name but a few. Without doubt the Edinburgh City hotel now tops the list. The first thing to say is don't be put off by appearances. From the outside the hotel looks pretty bleak and unwelcoming particulary when compared to the slick Novotel and Premier Inn which are just a stones thow away. However once inside any worries about the asthetics of the outside will disappear. The welcome is warm and the rooms are as good as many I have experienced in many 4 or even 5 star hotels. They are very spacious, clean, have wall mounted flat screen TVs, free Wi Fi, and decent sized bathrooms. We were happy enough with our night's stay and then to round off a near perfect hotel experience we enjoyed an absolutely fantastic breakfast which was as good as anything I've had in Scotland to date. Bravo Best Western. In the words of Arnold Swartzenegger "I'll be back"

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Newcastle
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights with my family.
We found this hotel to be comfortable and friendly. The reception staff were quick, efficient and friendly, always acknowledging you if they were busy with another customer. The rooms were comfortable with plenty tea and coffee. The house staff were very friendly.
We ordered breakfast the night before, it was cheaper to do it that way. This was very good, well worth the money. You could chose from a full Scottish breakfast with haggis (which was lovely) to kippers or salmon with muffins, yum. The staff again were very good, with nothing any problem. We asked for more toast and coffee which came very quickly. It was lovely. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk to Princes street so pack your walking shoes. We used the Wifi internet which was free, we got on to it immediately. The only down side for me was our bedroom was at the front and the road traffic was a bit noisy, it was very warm so we had to have the window open but luckily I had my ear plugs. I would definitely go back to this hotel and would recommend it to my friends.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Mount Vernon, Illinois
Reviewed 3 July 2010

I chose this hotel largely because it had free internet service. We had sporadic internet service from our rooms. It was available in the lobby. But when the ad says wireless from the room and it wasn't, we were a bit perturbed, to say the least. We confronted the manager for a discount on the price. He refused saying that we got our reservations from expedia and it was fully paid. We said he could still discount it and he refused. Otherwise, everything was fine.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
NA
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights in June, 2010.

The good:
- Location can't be beat - the hotel is close to all the attractions;
- Big rooms (compared to London or NYC anyway);
- Pretty clean;
- At $110 per night (Orbitz deal), a great value for money;
- Excellent customer service. Run by local staff, very polite and helpful.

The bad:
Small quibbles, really.
- The mattress is pretty thin and the bed very firm - standard for Europe, but can take some getting used to for American guests.
- The elevator made dodgy noises (no incidents, but I kept taking the stairs afterwards).
- Checking out in the am, I had to wait for 10-15 mins for someone to come by since noone was anywhere near the reception area.
- Flipped the mattress (I do this in every hotel room to check for bedbugs and other critters). No insects, but seriously (pee) stained furniture under the bedcovers & mattress. Yes, it's like that or worse in most hotels and no, nobody ever cleans the bed under the mattress. Still, pretty gross. In fairness, everything else was spotless.

Overall: I had a great stay. Would definitely come here again.

Misc tips:
- For jogging: check out the meadows and holyrood park. They have a ton of paths popular with runners, cyclists and run commuters.
- Skip the breakfast at the hotel. Any newsagents shop or Tesco express will get you a better and more varied breakfast.
- Any visitor can walk in and watch the debates at the Scottish parliament (just south of Holyrood park) for free. No photography is allowed in the debate hall, but it's still pretty cool.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends