“Good hotel with friendly service”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #21 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Good hotel with friendly service”
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Stopped at this hotel for a weekend, the staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean. Food was good and got 2courses for £10 evening meal and breakfast for £7 good value, all in all will definetly use again

• Stayed December 2010
ManagerEdCity, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you soon!

Carolyn Le Goff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Aberdeen
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed in the Best Western Edinburgh City for one night on the 20th November.

We arrived around 10am and although we weren’t able to get into our room (which we were aware of, check in time is usually around 2pm) we managed to store our bags safely until later. We saved some time by checking in there and then, helped by a very friendly receptionist. She told us where to find our room and enquired whether we needed any information on the city. We didn’t, as we’d been before, but I thought that was really helpful. The location was good, not as far away from the Royal Mile / Grassmarket as I had originally thought, typically of Edinburgh, there are loads of wee closes that are great shortcuts... you can walk to the Grassmarket in 5 minutes! You just have to explore :) Note though….downhill to Princes Street and uphill back, so if you have a lot of shopping, grab a taxi, it’s only a fiver!

When we came back around 5pm, we got our keys and bags without fuss and got to our room. We were on the 4th floor and had a lovely room, very modern, spotlessly clean and fresh. It was also really quiet, our window faced the road outside so I was surprised. The bed was very comfortable, we had a great nights sleep! Plus, we were right outside the lift, but I never woke up once (and I am the lightest sleeper in the world).

In the morning we had a great breakfast, again served by a very friendly waitress. The continental selection was great and had everything you’d need, but we’d paid for B&B so went the whole hog and ordered a full Scottish breakfast which was really yummy, and not in the slightest bit greasy (BIG thumbs up!) No black pudding though! :( As much tea, coffee and juice as you’d like.

The hotel were happy to keep our bags for us until it was time to catch our train at 4pm, and we checked out (reluctantly!)

A couple of things I was really impressed with, firstly the staff. The hotel was full due to the Rugby and not once did I see a grumpy, stressed out face. Everyone was really smiley and friendly and willing to help (I had lots of questions about bus routes and borrowed a pair of scissors….which I forgot to take back until we picked up our bags to go home…oops!) and secondly the pictures on the hallways telling / showing you the history behind the building, it used to be a Maternity Hospital.

The hotel are doing the rooms up at the moment, the 4th floor is complete and the 3rd floor is in progress, so perhaps on booking you can request one of those.

Fab stay, will return :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review and the 5 * score you gave us!

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed your comments onto the team.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again at The City in the near future.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The hotel is clean and quiet.
The staff were helpful.
The location is with in walking distance of the interesting old part of the city.
I look forward to staying in one of the newly refurbished rooms on my next stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city. Edinburgh is a great city and our location is ideal to explore the old town.

We hope to see you again soon at The City,

Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2010

A struggle to locate the Best Western, City Hotel however, the hotel was worthy of the effort.
The free parking was very nice as was the outside entrance. Once in the lobby we were dismayed by the shabby and unwelcoming appearance. Once past the drab lobby furniture we were delighted to find a welcoming & helpful staff who were always attention to be of assistance. The fee internet was appreciated.
The dining room decor is minimal, however, the breakfast (included) was good.
Feeling unwell I stayed home and had a bowl of tomato soup which was inedible even with a large dollop of butter to take away the sharp taste.
Our rooms were quiet, comfortable and lacked for nothing. A high rating for the rooms & staff.
To say it is a short and easy walk to the sights and restaurants in Edinburgh is not exactly true. The staff was helpful and called for a taxi which arrived promptly.
Yes, we will consider a return visit.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
ManagerEdCity, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review, I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have taken your comments on board regarding the hotel lobby. Sorry you did not enjoy your soup, I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our chef.
As the hotel only has very limited parking, we do not hold or pre book spaces but I am pleased you were lucky to get a space on our courtyard!
Again, thank you for your review and we do hope to welcoming you back to The City Hotel in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Good hotel, well located near to Edinburgh city. Staff very helpful. Breakfast good size and quality. Rooms to a high standard.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Dear Jameswameek,

Thank you for your review and the great score you gave us! I would agree, at just a few minutes walk from the old town,The City Hotel enjoys prime location.
We hope to welcoming you back to The City Hotel in the near future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We have just returned home following a stay at the Edinburgh City during a visit to the Edinburgh Festival. We had booked a total of 3 rooms for our stay.(two standard and a superior room) for the 5 of us. Each room was on a seperate floor (not a problem) but it did allow us to compare the rooms and types. The two standard rooms were spacious with seating areas and provided a good standard of accomodation. The superior room (on the 4th floor) had been recently decorated but was small (attic room) with little natural light (two small attic windows), no seating area and a lack of water pressure in the bathroom made it impossible to run a full bath. Compared with the two standard rooms it was a disappointment especially as it was a higher rate of room. When staff at reception were approached they stated that a superior room was simply a room that had recently been refurbished but understood our issue with the room and reduced the rate accordingly. We can obviously only comment on the superior room we were allocated but we would advise others who are not satisfied with their superior room to let the hotel know. We found the rest of our stay at this hotel to be very good with pleasant,helpfull and attentive staff. The location of the hotel is within easy walking distance of all the places of interest.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

A dress of mine was damaged in my room and the person(s) who did this tried to conceal the damage by removing a handful of beads that was part of my neck tie from the room. By doing this I was no longer able to fix the dress and it is now un-wearable.

I complained to reception staff who smiled and nodded and only when pushed did they offer to get a supervisor. The supervisor listened to me, promised a investigation. No one admitted responsibility for the damage and this was where the hotel staff appeared to be leaving the issue. Again when forced they offered money off my next stay and that they would send the details to me by e mail. Several weeks on and nothing.

As if that wasn't enough I checked my receipt to find that I had not stayed there at all but my female room mate had shared the room with a male friend of ours. The hotel staff did not seem to understand the importance of our other half's seeing this 'evidence' when we got home telling us that the names didn't matter. Again by sheer force of will the hotel staff relented and issued us with corrected receipts about an three quarters of an hour after the problem had first been reported. Thankfully we were waiting at the hotel for a transfer otherwise I would have been even less impressed if that is possible.

Had the hotel have given just a little bit of effort to try and fix these issues I wouldn't have bothered writing this review as it is I'm annoyed, more fool them.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank sticks80
ManagerEdCity, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
Dear Sticks80,

Thank you for taking to give us some feedback following your recent stay in Edinburgh. I have now investigated with all the Duty Managers and Receptionists and we have no record of this incident happening at The Best Western Edinburgh City Hotel. I would be very grateful if you could please contact me directly on 0131 6227979 in order to discuss further. Thank you,