“wonderful friendly hotel”

Ranked #87 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dublin, Ireland
“wonderful friendly hotel”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

we stayed at the marriott for one night only and if i had a choice i would stay here again. all the staff are absolutely brilliant and courteous. the room was a standard room but luxurious and the food was excellent. thankyou

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Mount Holly, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here when we did not pay attention to when trains leave for London and it was a great experience. We had a great room that was spacious with a great king bed. We did have a drink at Chats Bar where Jason was a great server. Great selections of beer. Very nice hotel and great location to go sightseeing from. Very nice quality as Marriott generally provides!

Room Tip: We had a high floor and were happy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ALCESTER
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a base for sightseeing in Edinburgh. Excellent location just 20 minutes outside City centre. Room lovely clean and spacious nice big bed! Coffee and tea making facilities topped up everyday and shortbread biccies a nice touch. Used the leisure facilities which were good nice pool and jacuzzi to relax in after walking around Edinburgh. Breakfast fabulous nice selection of hot and cold food waiters lovely attending to your every need. We had dinner on the first night which was included 3 courses just paid for drinks nice food and good service. Bar a bit expensive but no more than any other 4 star hotel. There is an airport shuttle bus that runs every 10 mins past the hotel which takes you straight into Edinburgh which was only £1.50 each way so well worth the money!! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay friendly staff would definitely stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel worth a visit. My mum and I booked a 4 night break, from the moment we arrived the staff were attentive nothing was to much trouble. The general manager introduced himself and made mum and I feel very welcome. Thank you Peter. Very clean hotel great leisure club and executive lounge. A real family feel. Didn't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
City of Discovery
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Travelling in the dark with a wonky sat nav didn't help us to find this hotel very easily, a stop at another closer well known hotel to ask for taxi to follow to get to the Marriott, staff there went out of their way, got in their car and took us to the Marriott, so we give this hotel excellent marks for their staff. On arrival at the Marriott - the friendly staff soon got us booked in despite the query that we hadn't booked breakfast - when I went to provide the e-mail proof they were quicker and found this before I did. The room for our overnight stay was superb. The pool was my first stop with hubby going to the lounge for his. After a pleasant swim and dip in the spa, I soon joined him - staff there had been very friendly also. Next morning after a pleasant sleep - I checked the car was secure in the car park for the included 7 day parking before breakfast, with last minute up required items being locked away, we headed for breakfast. The selection was great and we over gorged ourselves before quickly making our exit for our curtesy taxi to the airport to jet off to sunnier climes. All in all our stay was very pleasant but not long enough!

Room Tip: Really couldn't answer this as we had ground floor outlook over delivery park
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scotwanderer
Aberlour
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The good thing about this hotel is the free and numerous parking spaces available which is why we chose the hotel for a second time.
Another plus point is the bus stop is directly outside the hotel with frequent cheap buses into Edinburgh City centre,costing only £1.50 for a single ticket.
A taxi from the hotel to Waverley station cost me £15.40 so if there are a group of you it would make sense to go into town in the evening for something to eat.

The indoor swimming pool was lovely and clean with a jacuzzi but at around 8pm in the evening I was informed by the pool attendant that the jacuzzi was out of order and I could not use it,but I certainly enjoyed my swim in the warm pool.

Our bedroom was very comfortable.The bathroom itself had a powerful hot shower and lots of white fluffy towels and complimentary toiletries which were welcome after a day out, walking around the city centre.

The breakfast on offer has certainly become less generous compared to last year where there were several types of large loaves of bread on offer, for the guests to cut a slice from.Instead we were offered the cheap square brown and white bread which was pretty grim for a hotel in the Marriot Group
Last year there was a larger selection of fruit such as prunes and grapefruit segments which were not available this time around.

There were the usual croissants and pastries and the Continental option of hams and cheeses and a selection of cereals.

I had asked for the kippers but I was informed that this would cost extra which surprised me, as last year this choice was included as a breakfast choice along with smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.
On room service menu, the kippers were on offer at around £8.50 whereas the full English Breakfast cost £15.

The full English was from a buffet service and included eggs,bacon,sausages,mushrooms,hash browns,beans,black pudding and the haggis.
The haggis was very tasty as were the scrambled eggs

The quality of food on offer in the evening was not too great. the dishes I had were greasy and expensive.
One evening I had the curry and the Naan bread looked as if it had been fried in butter as it was quite oily.
Next evening I had the Quesallidas and the tortillas and the filling were greasy but the Grilled chicken salad was excellent.

The reception staff were pleasant but I have noticed that they did not put this 3 night stay onto my Marriot Points card.

Next time I will take the bus and eat out in the city centre in Rose Street where I stumbled across the Mussel Inn which does a lunchtime special of Mussels,frites and a glass of wine with French bread and butter for a reasonable £7.95 which was far better value in both quality and price compared to the food at the Marriot which was an average £12 per course for average quality fare and without a drink included.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh_Marriott, General Manager at Edinburgh Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and extensive comments which I am sure other travellers will find extremely helpful because you have highlighted many of the great features the hotel can offer our guests. However, I am disappointed to read your comments about the changes you have noticed since your previous stay last year and I wish to assure you that I have audited the breakfast buffet specifications with my culinary team and can confirm the bread board, with the extended bakery selection, has now been reintroduced and I apologise that during your stay these were not consistently presented alongside the toasting bread.

You are correct that when guests are on bed and breakfast terms we will offer a selection of breakfast a la carte items instead of the full buffet, however, I see from your reservation that your accommodation was booked on room only terms and the additional cost for the kippers would have been applied instead of the full buffet cost if you had proceeded to select this item and I apologise that this was not made more clear to you by your server at the time.

Your feedback in relation to your evening meals is also greatly appreciated and I will review the dish recipes with my Executive Head Chef.

Unfortunately on looking at your booking I notice that your reservation was not made directly through a Marriott channel and Marriott Reward points will only be awarded on bookings made directly with us. Please be assured that our ‘Look No Further Guarantee’ ensures that the rates available on Marriott.com will always be the same as travel websites so you can be sure, as a valued guest, that you will always get good value when booking direct with us.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me at the hotel on the telephone number below. In the meantime, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of taking care of you again next year.

Yours sincerely,

Peter

Peter Dornom
Tel: +44 (0)131 334 9191
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed in the hotel as it was the only one with availability for the time we needed it. It was modern hotel with good room décor and friendly staff. The décor was starting to look a little shabby though.

Main good point - availability.

Main bad point - Cost! very expensive what was there. This added to the distance it is from the city centre means there are much better alternatives.

Room Tip: away from the road and service areas!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Edinburgh_Marriott, General Manager at Edinburgh Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience via Trip Advisor. We greatly value our customer’s feedback as it is only through your comments we can continue to train and improve our service to all our guests. I was delighted to read your positive review on our room décor and friendly Hosts and I wish to assure you that we follow a planned preventative maintenance programme to decorate and refresh our high traffic areas and following your comments I have reviewed this schedule with my Property Manager and greatly appreciate you bringing this to my attention. In relation to our distance from the city centre, I wish to highlight the added benefits of our free car parking to our guests and the excellent public transport that operates from directly outside the hotel. The 100 Airlink bus operates 24 hours a day, departing every 10 minutes, and many guests have found this to be an excellent link to the city centre from our location. Shortly we will also be able to recommend to our guests the new tram system which will stop very close to the hotel and provide another method of safe and efficient transport into Edinburgh. If you would like to discuss your experience further I can be reached at the hotel on the number below should you wish to contact me.

Yours sincerely,