“Not one of the best guesthouses”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cambridge House

Cambridge House
Cambridge House
Ranked #378 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not one of the best guesthouses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Wasn't impressed by this guesthouse in Edinburgh. For the price (not the £29/night others have said but rather £50+/night - if it had only been £29 then yes, go for it - bargain!) I'd have expected breakfast to be included and it wasn't (we could have added on a contintental breakfast but for the price quoted it wasn't worth it - we went to the fabulous Word of Mouth Cafe (so pleased with this find!) for brunch instead and it cheered up our trip no end!) Cold bedroom, and scaldingly hot shower which you couldn't make any cooler.
On the plus side, nice location off Leith Walk and free parking. Wouldn't return here though however - there are better guesthouses for this price in Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Great valued B and B! Comfy, clean and modern room, friendly owners and nice hot shower. Location great as it was a nice walk into town that wasn't too far - in fact it's within a nice walking distance of most of the sights. But the local buses are on your doorstep too!

Would definitely stay there again.

Only things I would suggest to work on were:

- Heating in the rooms. Nice big windows but a radiator that needs bleeding meant a little bit chilly in the room...
- Breakfast. Expected some cooked options but it was all cold and fairly plain. Perhaps initial clarification of this would be sufficient in itself but I think it's good to have other options when paying additional extra's. Would opt for accommodation without the B and B next time..
- Shower excellent but drainage a bit dodgy!! Water went down very slowly meaning that there was a leak of water outside of the shower on one occasion... Just needs a bit of drain unblocker!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We have just returned from a two-night stay in Edinburgh. The Cambridge House b&b might have been okay for a budget stay in a city centre vicinity, but as the price we paid (due to Hogmanay celebrations) was an extortionate 279 pounds for the two-night stay, we were very disappointed. Maybe it is the price level that is normal around the two main events in Edinburgh, but the accommodation is basic and is not worth it.

A major complaint which I have about our stay is not only for the hotel’s owner but also for booking.com who administered the booking: I think we were not provided properly the information about this booking. In the process of booking the room description says that it is a “Double room with private bathroom” (I did not click on the detailed description); the booking confirmation said the same in a normal font and only in a small font that "the bathroom is situated outside the room, but is private to this room". Guess what? I did not read the small font on the confirmation and, as I have never ever stayed in a hotel with amenities OUTSIDE, I was rather shocked to see I had to pass by two other rooms to get to the bathroom. rather inconvenient. The owner pointed out to me the small font on the printed booking confirmation – which I accept is there.

Apart from this our impressions:

Positives:
- Close to the city centre and the Waverley train station - 15-20 minute walk
- Good proximity to the restaurants in Leith
- Polite and helpful owner
- Modern bathroom with good shower and good water pressure
- Nice towels, decent quality bedlinen
- A very comfortable bed
- Tea&coffee facilities in the room; hairdryer, etc.

Negatives:
- A strong smell of spicy food in common areas – present at all times
- The duvet cover had some unexplainable brownish streaks/stains in a couple of places – did not complain at once as the linen has patterns and I only noticed the stains in the bright daylight before the checkout; I was not sure the duvet cover gets changed - luckily there was a clean white top sheet being used.
- Cold room – whilst the radiator was on full blast all the time, the room is cold (top attic floor). There is double glazing but it’s a very thing glass frame/pack with little insulation and also some gaps in the frame – as the headboard is back to the window, on a windy night (which it was) you can actually feel the cold wind whilst in bed.
- On the second night the water in the shower was only lukewarm.
- The place is reasonably clean but far from being spotless clean. Black long female hairs in several places.
- Both our door and the door to the bathroom were squeaking badly - I assume we did bother other residents on our trips to the outside bathroom at night/early morning.
- We did not try their breakfast. In my view, a place cannot call itself bed&breakfast if it charges extra for it. UK generally has many wonderful B&Bs to be used as an example.

Overall, I still rate Cambridge house b&b as average – if you pay the regular price. But for an average of 140 pounds per night I expect much more.

Room Tip: Not room 3 - has the bathroom outside
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EllaMLondon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I was shocked to find a hotel with a four out of five rating for only £29 on a hotel website. As I was only visiting Edinburgh for one night having not booked until day of arrival I was impressed.

I was greated by the owner (a lady), who was very pleasent and welcoming. She explained how I could contact here if I needed help (there wasn't a reception desk).

I stayed in room 4.

Good points:
- The wifi was £3 for 24, which was good value and very fast.
- Shower was powerful (tho see note below)
- Bed was lovely and comfortable

Points of feedback:
- the kettle didn't fit under the tap, so ended up getting the floor wet
- the shower was cold. There was hot water to the bathroom tap so I suspect that it's mixer for the particular shower: I'm sure the owners will see and remedy this
- note that mobile phone signal is very poor in this room (not the owners fault, obviously)
- I was travelling on my own so didn't affect me, but the double bed was up against the wall. A sleeping partner may have been uncomfortable. Moving the bedside cabinet to between the bed and wall would sort this out.

Didn't stay to try breakfast, as had to leave very early.

Overall a pleasent stay, would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011
bodø
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Silent,no disturbing traffic.Easy to get a cab.Hottest shower i ever had.Also superb breakfast

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank øyvin j
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

The Cambridge guest house was excellent :) My partner and I stayed there for 7 nights. The owners were really nice people and very helpful. If we had any questions or were unsure about anything, they were more than happy to help. The room were very clean and modern. We stayed in room 3, it was a little small but very roomy. There was enough room for both our big suitcases so that was great. In the room there was a desk, arm chair, flat screen tv, comfortable bed, kettle, free tea and coffee, sightseeing guide book and a cupboard. Our bathroom was opposite our room and was very clean. It had a shower in a huge bath with a massive square shower head. The walls are slanted but if you can get over that in the bedroom and bathroom then it is a fantastic place to stay. Great location, only a short walk to the main shopping strip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarahW671
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

I stayed in room one, probably the pokiest room I have ever stayed in. The room is so small that the bed is situated under the steep sloping roof with no headroom to sit up in bed if you are near the wall, because of this I banged my head on two occasions and reported this to the owners. The bathroom / closet is so small that to get to the shower you have to open the door, step in to the toilet then close the door to gain access to the shower.
This said, the shower was a good hot powerful one, the bed was comfy except for the roof problem. Only a small meagre offering of continental breakfast is available and the location won't suit some

• Stayed July 2011

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels